Questions Answered

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Questions Answered

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Many employees e-mailed questions for Dave Siegel to address at last week’s employee webcast, which he was unable to answer due to time constraints. As a follow-up, over the next several days, US Airways Today will answer some of your questions, and a question and answer log will be kept on theHub for reference.

Q. I wanted to hear "the Plan" and what I'll be expected to contribute. Why didn't Siegel get specific during the webcast?

A. Dave DID outline the broad framework of the plan, and, in essence, it is to become a low-cost carrier with unit costs in the 6-cent range, because that is the only way to ensure consistent profitability. He also reiterated what employees have themselves stated; we must change our product and pricing structure. In terms of the product, Dave said we will schedule our aircraft competitively; build a better Web site, on which work is already under way; make better use of technology, such as installing more kiosks and introducing gate readers; fly more jets and fewer turboprops, which is what our customers prefer; and consider a state-of-the-art inflight entertainment system. Regarding pricing, he said we will move towards a more simple structure that is easy to sell, easy to buy and easy to use.

As far as the details of "the plan," however, he said a process needs to take place. The business plan must be presented to and approved by the Board of Directors, which includes representatives of each of the labor groups. The board will receive it shortly. By the end of April we want to be in serious negotiations with our labor groups, when it is expected that more details can be shared with employees. By this summer he said we must have new contracts in place to meet the low-cost carrier threat.

USA320Pilot said:
By this summer he said we must have new contracts in place to meet the low-cost carrier threat.
This line should read before 2nd quarter results are posted we must sucker all of our employees into the worst contracts of any airline in the United States. :down:

And by this summer he plans to start implementing these changes? Waaaay too late.

Hey USA320Pilot, I need a Question Answered. Why is it that a Wholly Owned has taken delivery of a CRJ701 and they can not fly it. ARE WE ALL IN IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMPANY or NOT????????????????

Hope777:

Hope777 asked: "Hey USA320Pilot, I need a Question Answered. Why is it that a Wholly Owned has taken delivery of a CRJ701 and they can not fly it. ARE WE ALL IN IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMPANY or NOT?"

USA320Pilot answers: Because the PSA ALPA MEC wants 50-50 J4J and four members of the US Airways ALPA MEC, the Pittsburgh & Philadelphia Reps, who hold the roll call majority, will not grant scope relief. The current mainline ALPA contract requires the first 25 CRJ-700s be flown by US Airways furloughees.

Until either the US Airways or PSA MEC's change their position, none of the new CRJ-700s will be flown and the jets will only sit on the DAY ramp collecting dust.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Is this the union saving the company? Its games like these that hurt , not help. 320, Im beginning to agree with you that this management will do what it has to in order to survive. At this point, unions are of no good in my book, and have zero imput. In the end, we will survive with or without organized unions.

USA320Pilot said:
Hope777:

Hope777 asked: "Hey USA320Pilot, I need a Question Answered. Why is it that a Wholly Owned has taken delivery of a CRJ701 and they can not fly it. ARE WE ALL IN IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMPANY or NOT?"

USA320Pilot answers: Because the PSA ALPA MEC wants 50-50 J4J and four members of the US Airways ALPA MEC, the Pittsburgh & Philadelphia Reps, who hold the roll call majority, will not grant scope relief. The current mainline ALPA contract requires the first 25 CRJ-700s be flown by US Airways furloughees.

Until either the US Airways or PSA MEC's change their position, none of the new CRJ-700s will be flown and the jets will only sit on the DAY ramp collecting dust.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
320:

Let's clarify that a bit shall we?

1) The PHL and PIT reps represent the majority of pilots. The majority. That's why the ALPA constitution has a roll call provision. So the majority of pilots are not undercut by a minority of the pilots or the NC.

2) The ALPA negotiating committee was sent back to attain more for the massive amount of scope the original agreement has us giving up. The 4 reps who represent the majority of pilots saw a massive giveback with little return.

3) Should THE COMPANY elect to throw a few more bones our way ALPA may grant scope relief in short order. In a week or less after rank and file voting is conducted. IF the majority of pilots vote to grant that relief. That is a big if.

4) MDA is up and running so THE COMPANY could elect to fly the CRJ-701 at MDA if they so choose. Of course, the do not so choose. That is not ALPA's decision. Once again, that is THE COMPANY'S decision. Those jets sit on the ramp because of the way THE COMPANY handled the situation. Not ALPA.

I hope that clears things up for you HOPE.

mr

Lets clarify a few things...

USA320pilot needs to stop being managment lackey and trying to negotiate for them via the net.....

One would think he is management as he spews forth more information to the masses than U managers do....why is that?

that is all....

usa: why is it that the mainline alpa has to handle everything for the wholly owned pilots? i know they have a lot of furloughed pilots who have families and payments to be made but it seems that alpa loves to stangle the commuter pilots to death?

"At this point, unions are of no good in my book, and have zero imput. In the end, we will survive with or without organized unions."

Okay Mr. Lorenzo, remember, the Feds told you never again will that "play" of yours be allowed.

mwereplanes said:
USA320Pilot said:
Hope777:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
320:

Let's clarify that a bit shall we?

1) The PHL and PIT reps represent the majority of pilots. The majority. That's why the ALPA constitution has a roll call provision. So the majority of pilots are not undercut by a minority of the pilots or the NC.

2) The ALPA negotiating committee was sent back to attain more for the massive amount of scope the original agreement has us giving up. The 4 reps who represent the majority of pilots saw a massive giveback with little return.

3) Should THE COMPANY elect to throw a few more bones our way ALPA may grant scope relief in short order. In a week or less after rank and file voting is conducted. IF the majority of pilots vote to grant that relief. That is a big if.

I hope that clears things up for you HOPE.

mr
a few more bones?
once again it appears ALPA is saving their own skins at the expense of the other groups.
return the 737's to lessors and bring 170's to mainline??
yeah...let me say i think the 4000 mechs working will jump on that right quick.
how many mechanic ,afa jobs will go for ALPA'S "going forward plan".
flying rj's for mainline pay...i think not.
you guys do eat your young don't you?

usfliboi said:
Is this the union saving the company? Its games like these that hurt , not help. 320, Im beginning to agree with you that this management will do what it has to in order to survive. At this point, unions are of no good in my book, and have zero imput. In the end, we will survive with or without organized unions.
Sounds a lot like the company PARKING the Airbus aircraft INSTEAD of honoring the IAM contract they AGREED to !!!!!!!! But in your BIASED opinion, this mis-management team can do no wrong!!!!!! Pathetic

USA320Pilot said:
Hope777:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Sounds to me like ALPA should not be representing both US Airways mainline pilots and PSA pilots. ALPA cannot act in the best interest of both groups. This is a MAJOR conflict of interest within ALPA. One list would solve that conflict of interest.

"Sounds to me like ALPA should not be representing both US Airways mainline pilots and PSA pilots. ALPA cannot act in the best interest of both groups. This is a MAJOR conflict of interest within ALPA. One list would solve that conflict of interest."

US Airways mainline pilots are represented (not) by mainline MEC. PSA pilots are represented by their MEC. Each MEC looks out for the interest of that specific group. ALPA national doesn't have anything to do with MEC's.