Merger Question

avek00 said:
Of course, there's also the fact that United, while having the best fleet, best route network, large operations in LHR/NRT, etc., is still bleeding cash like a stuck pig and only proposing temporary solutions to delay the inevitable instead of actually trying to fix itself.
avek00:

That's simply not true, and you know it. You must be taking lessons on distorting United's financial statistics from a certain US Airways pilot! :p

According to this United press release issued on March 25, 2004, United actually increased its unrestricted cash by $205 million during February 2004. For the mathematically impaired, that equates to an average of over $7 million per day (for a 29-day month) in cash accretion by United. And with the carrier's recent announcement that its March 2004 load factor topped 80% (about 4 percentage points better than its February 2004 load factor), United's cash position should be even stronger now. We'll find out for sure in a few weeks when the first quarter numbers come out.

So what imaginative accounting rule was your above quote based upon?

Cosmo:

United increased its cash position due to forward looking ticket sales, which is not an accurate estimate of the company's position. People are paying for tickets now for future trips and United is crediting the payment. However, that could make things dubious in the future.

Separately, the US Airways ALPA MEC participated in a conference call with ALPA International President Captain Duane Woerth yesterday, who discussed a variety of issues with the MEC and offered his counsel on the challenges before us. Among the topics Captain Woerth covered were the financial community’s perception of the airline industry and issues at other carriers.

Woerth commented in open session that the pending pension legislative solution may not provide United with adequate relief, which obviously would hurt the company's chances to emerge, unless the some or all of retirement plans are terminated. This is exactly what happened at US Airways to its pilots so the company could obtain the loan guarantee.

The bill would grant United a two-year delay in paying the substantially steeper payments that are required over the next two years to their underfunded pension plans.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
United increased its cash position due to forward looking ticket sales, which is not an accurate estimate of the company's position. People are paying for tickets now for future trips and United is crediting the payment. However, that could make things dubious in the future.
USA320Pilot:

The fact that people buy airline tickets in advance is a surprise to you? So you therefore believe that United didn't sell any advance tickets in the past (prior to February) and isn't going to sell any tickets in advance next month, or next year, or at any point in its future? Doesn't US Airways sell tickets in advance of travel? Don't all airlines do this?

Your lack of any real comprehension of the economic underpinnings of the airline industry, at least as shown in posts like the one quoted above, is simply astounding for someone who claims to know so much about the field and to have such wonderful "sources" of information!

Cosmo:

Instead of "shooting the messenger" on the US Airways board, why don't you have your discussion on the United board? This thread has been once again hijacked by United employees after 767jetz asked me a question and I gave my answer.

Maybe you should focus on things such as Duane Woerth's comment yesterday said in open session to the US Airways ALPA MEC that the pending pension legislative solution may not provide United with adequate relief.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

A messenger who provides factual and truthful informations does not get "shot".

What you are witnessing is posters who prove you are posting, untruths and misinformation. By proving you wrong, and you never learn, and you continue your campaign of misinformation.

They are not shooting you, just exposing you for what you really are.

USA320Pilot said:
Instead of "shooting the messenger" on the US Airways board, why don't you have your discussion on the United board?
Perhaps it's because this is where the so-called "messenger" usually resides. And have you considered the fact that if you didn't fill your posts about United with so many distortions and fabrications, you might not get "shot" (figuratively speaking only) quite so often?

USA320Pilot said:
Maybe you should focus on things such as Duane Woerth's comment yesterday said in open session to the US Airways ALPA MEC that the pending pension legislative solution may not provide United with adequate relief.
And can you tell us when Duane Woerth became an expert on pension law, especially a law that was approved by Congress only yesterday?

Why do you folks continue to debate this DELETED BY MODERATOR. The fact is that both usa320pilot and avek are both s--- stirrers. Ignore them and there is a small chance that they will go away.

If Duane Woerth was a finance expert, he would clearly be under the employ of the financial industry or an airline to utilize his expertise. He is neither.

He (and ALPA's "guru's") have also said several times in the past that UAL would miss it's DIP targets, only to eat crow when it failed to happen.

Ergo, he's really not a credible source about the finances of any airline, and even if he somehow could obtain credible information and be willing to violate nondisclosure agreements and share it with another airline's MEC, it would no doubt be presented with a slant, as Woerth's only real motivation is to keep as many dues paying ALPA members in jobs as possible.

I highly doubt Duane Woerth made this statement, or if he did it was twisted around to suit a certain poster's argument.

737nCH11 said:
I highly doubt Duane Woerth made this statement, or if he did it was twisted around to suit a certain poster's argument.
Bingo!

My sympathies for all of the OTHER employees of UAIR that have to deal with this piece of work; every company has a few of them.
OK, back to the United board for me. (Assuming that they don't suspend me again for such an inflammatory comment :huh: )

Latest posts