ramp contract

kao

Senior
Aug 3, 2005
does anyone work in a station where the ramp is contracted out? Do they have any kind of perk with US? For example maybe 1x per quarter a pass based on maybe attendance?
Currently have ramp that has no incentive to stay and work as they get paid crap and are constantly short staffed due to this factor....these folks work their butts off and are not rewarded...in any way...now I am not saying give them the farm but...fellow ramp workers...I think you guys/gals know that for 7.60 an hour...no bennies whatsoever---would ya do this??? And get told daily that basically you stink...??? \
I am for these guys all the way but I think the tower needs to seriously think about quitting farming out the ramp....bring it back in house in the "field stations"-medium stations....all i can say is there were alot ===alot--of ticked of pax today in my station....wasn't the guys fault-they are doing the best they can---even for what they make---all the time....it is only going to get worse I believe...I am cross utilized---even though old Hp says they do not cross utilize-they do! I do not mind cleaning...loading with thse folks because they know that I know their predicament....but....??? How may times does it take before management--and notlocal because all they know how to do is point fingers---higher mamangement to see that this is a real issue---just like farming out res is /was??????????

Sorry buddy,but I think it would be better to recall our furloughed employees...dont care for people who took my job...if you want help someone why not our own

at Piedmont, the start wage for new hire is 8.00 an hr and top out after 21 yrs is 12.50 an hr. It is a constant revolving door at my city. and we at Piedmont do get flying benes and that isnt relly good cause youre going to have a lot of luck to get a seat on board. Everyone at my city who stayed, which was may be about 9 or 10 of us out of 22 and our start wage is/was 10.66 an hr. Another thing that really sucks is the medical coverage. talk about crap that is it.
I will simply put it to you buddy, it sucks to be a contract ramp agent. It is high flying time to recall all members of the ramp from furlough and get real wagse back

I think the tower needs to seriously think about quitting farming out the ramp....bring it back in house in the "field stations"-medium stations....all i can say is there were alot ===alot--of ticked of pax today in my station....wasn't the guys fault-they are doing the best they can---even for what they make---all the time....it is only going to get worse I believe...I am cross utilized---even though old Hp says they do not cross utilize-they do! I do not mind cleaning...loading with thse folks because they know that I know their predicament....but....??? How may times does it take before management to see that this is a real issue---just like farming out res is /was??????????
Don't worry the new Shift Managers are on there way I hope they don't forget there jumpsuits gloves and kneed pads

Don't worry the new Shift Managers are on there way I hope they don't forget there jumpsuits gloves and kneed pads
? thats not in the job desrip of a shift manager....plus, ours are not ramp qualified....

does anyone work in a station where the ramp is contracted out? Do they have any kind of perk with US? For example maybe 1x per quarter a pass based on maybe attendance?
Currently have ramp that has no incentive to stay and work as they get paid crap and are constantly short staffed due to this factor....these folks work their butts off and are not rewarded...in any way...now I am not saying give them the farm but...fellow ramp workers...I think you guys/gals know that for 7.60 an hour...no bennies whatsoever---would ya do this??? And get told daily that basically you stink...??? \
I am for these guys all the way but I think the tower needs to seriously think about quitting farming out the ramp....bring it back in house in the "field stations"-medium stations....all i can say is there were alot ===alot--of ticked of pax today in my station....wasn't the guys fault-they are doing the best they can---even for what they make---all the time....it is only going to get worse I believe...I am cross utilized---even though old Hp says they do not cross utilize-they do! I do not mind cleaning...loading with thse folks because they know that I know their predicament....but....??? How may times does it take before management--and notlocal because all they know how to do is point fingers---higher mamangement to see that this is a real issue---just like farming out res is /was??????????

I work in ILM doing fleet service for US by a company called JetStream. We dont get any perks for working your flights though, no discounted fares, non-rev... nothing, I suppose if I wanted to go somewhere I could get stuck in the bin. As far as contractors pay goes, ours isnt to bad, though it could be better. All of us are making $9.50 right now, lead agents make $12.50 or so. I know that other contract labor stations (doing mainline and express) and just regular express stations make less than that. We do everything though. Bag room, ground service, air-starts, pushback, de-ice, clean RON's, OP's. As much US certified training that I have I almost wish I did work for mainline. Thankfully im not trained on lav services, since we don't have the equipment to do it :) I wish we could do APU qualification and brake riding, but our company doesn't trust us to do it, oh well.

Outsourcedphx... man, I know we are scabs :D , i hear it enough from a few at the gate sometimes, but they are getting better about it (yea, they are still mainline). I mean, as far as i can tell we didn't hunt for your job, ya know? If anyting blame the upper management at our company, they wanted to do the labor for US, not the guys out there. We just happened to look in the paper or hear from a friend about a job with better pay opening up in town. Hell, I worked at a restraunt for 4 years before this, barely got to $8.00 an hour there so I just took this when I could. Besides, our station manager and all our leads were mainline before they got outsourced, they just couldnt stay away for very long and wanted to come back, even if it was for a contract vendor.

Jetstream in CLT makes more then that and they hired the majority of all the utility as all they do is cleaning, lav and water service.

Jetstream in CLT makes more then that and they hired the majority of all the utility as all they do is cleaning, lav and water service.

Hmm, the only real reason I can see them getting paid more is the cost of living there compared to ILM is higher, then again thats those cooky contracts they draft up. That would still suck to do just that, at least for me. I like doing my job, regardless of what they tell me I gotta do next.

I know jetstream is making a killing right now though. Their overhead is somewhat low, considering all the equipment is still US owned, we just use it. For every hour i work, US pays jetstream 14.43 an hour and I get my cut from that... I guess US is still saving by not having to pay the benefits? My understanding of ILM is that it was very senior before they got rid of them, they were paying out a lot for somewhat little work. I mean, even at me making 9.50 i feel like im not doing anything to ear it sometimes, just because theres nothing to be done. Today wasn't so bad though, they threw two mainlines into the mix, made it fun.

They took over TPA also recently.

Hmm, didn't know that. I heard from my leads that they may be getting removed from a few stations here soon, i believe CHS was mentioned. To many AC damages at some stations or not being able to keep workers at others. People from our station keep getting sent out to help train since we havn't had any delays or damages... yet. We should have had a few delays blamed on the ramp, honestly, but since our manager was mainline for 20something years he knows tricks on how to shift the blame, cheater.

I work in ILM doing fleet service for US by a company called JetStream. We dont get any perks for working your flights though, no discounted fares, non-rev... nothing
Either does TSA ,Skycaps, cargo catering venders, baggage delivery drivers ect.. Are they hiring inside in customer service if so apply and you can fly for free.

Either does TSA ,Skycaps, cargo catering venders, baggage delivery drivers ect.. Are they hiring inside in customer service if so apply and you can fly for free.

Actually they are hiring for customer service now, but its part-time only and I really can't afford it take a cut in hours and pay. Though the benefits would be nice, I just have stuff to pay for right now that that position wouldn't cover. Plus, I don't like the idea of coming in at 4am and dealing with the people, I would rather work outside all day doing ramp.