Remainder Of Rj Flying Will Go Contract

Well, we'll see what happens. PSA is to receive the first 700 within the next 10 days. We took delivery on 6 200's last month. Only time will tell. We are all keeping our fingers crossed.

Light Years said:
If they give the Embraer 170s to affiliates over MAA, the 190s and 195s would follow. I would rather see US Airways shut down than have them set an industry standard of giving 70-120 seat flying to "regional affiliates". :angry:

It would't surprise me though. Sacrifice the juniors and future of the profession to preseve a couple thousand senior jobs... doesn't matter what happens after they are gone.
Thats exactly why it might happen. They want to protect the senior most pilots, who will be retired before the repercussions of the regionals flying a 110 seat jet start to take any affect. If the pilots cave on this one, we are all finished. Why keep around all the mainline mechanics when the 110 seat flying is going to the regionals? How many F/As will we need once all the 110 seat flying is at the regionals.

And it won't stop there. Once the regionals are flying the 110 seat E-195, next will be a new E-??? that seats 150 seats. Oh well, better let the regionals fly them too. But it's ok, our senior most pilots will be on the A-330 by then, so it won't matter. They are starting down a road which will mean the end of mainline flying......and the beginning of all flying being open to the lowest bidder. But hey, they covered themselves, right?

TwiceBaked,

I didn't mean to step on any toes. You are absolutely correct - it is a fact that MAA is the same as mainline in the FAA's eyes. The airplanes waiting to be picked up, etc, are all correct.

What I was saying - badly it appears - is that contractually you are being treated as if you are accepting a job at a W/O.

MetroJet was also mainline in the FAA's eyes. Were those pilots working under a separate contract? Were they treated as new hires when they went there? Were they having trouble getting jumpseat on "mainline" at first? Were they initially told they wouldn't have medical insurance for 6 months? The fact is that they weren't.

Jim

I get what you mean BB.

It depends on who is benefitting. When we're talking about certificates and such "Well, its our Embraer division. Its a part of mainline US Airways..." or training "we can train them in days! These are employees with years of experience, silly FAA..." or unemployment "We offered them a US Airways job, no welfare for them, even if it is more money!"

But to the employees... "You will be eligible for medical benefits in six months. You are a new hire at MidAtlantic Airways and you should be happy to be welcomed to this new airline and to have an airline job, you lazy, overpaid pig." "You should sign a contract to work here for a year so you don't run back off to mainline." "We dont care that you've got five years with the company, American Eagle flight attendants with two weeks of seniority fly 30 seat props for that pay, so you will fly a 75 seat jet for that pay, at this new airline."

I see what you mean... its spun differently to suit the company's needs. If it were a true division of mainline, it would have US Airways on the side and we'd be calling it the Small Jet Division or Short Haul Division or something. Instead it says US Airways Express- Operated by MidAtlantic Airways on the plane.

MetroJet was a division, at least for the pilots. Shuttle was a W/O/division at one point. International is a division crew-wise. Mid is a a wholly-owned airline on the mainline certificate.