Representatives Loyalties

Should a local officers loyalty lie with the members that elected them or the International

• Members

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • International

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
When I was removed from office by the International they claimed that I violated my oath of office because I said that as an elected representative that it was my duty to put the interests of the members that I represent ahead of those of the International Union leaders.

The question is do you feel that the people you elect should put your interests aside for those of the International officers of the TWU?

If those that you elect are not allowed to put your interests first and the International is not elected by you then who is out there in your interests? Who can the members hold accountable? Does anyone out there really feel that International leaders, out there with their six figure salaries and great benifits, getting raises while they push concessions on us, really have our interests at heart?

When was the last time Sonny Hall, John Kerrigan or Mike Baklava worked on the tarmac or in a hangar? Sonny Hall never did, Kerrigan and Baklava worked for Pan Am, a company that has been out of business for over a decade. They have been union officers far longer than that and they have not shared in the struggles and hardships that airline workers have endured since deregulation.

The Internationals pay is not determined by how well we as members are doing but how well the International union is doing. Clearly there can be a conflict of interests here. According to the TWU International elected local officers are in reality not representatives of the members but in fact representatives of the interests of International officers. Failure to put the Internationals interests ahead of the members will result in removal by the International.

Bob, this poll is coming from the wrong individual.

First off, you were removed for your beliefs. They were not true to the membership.

Second, the International and local leaders are governed by the Constitution and by-laws.

The Constitution is specific on pay for the International.

Your refusal to support the TWU was your downfall!!!!!!

Twist as you will, the truth still remains!!!!!

Bob, this poll is coming from the wrong individual. First off, you were removed for your beliefs.

Exactly. And should someone be removed because of their beliefs or their actions?

What are your beliefs? Do the members you represent come first or the International?

They were not true to the membership.

Please clarify. Who is they and who is the membership? Can you be specific as to what was not true?

Second, the International and local leaders are governed by the Constitution and by-laws.

Well sort of. First of all the International is allowed to "interpret" the bylaws and Constitution, such as when we have the right to vote on contracts. Second, the Convention process is seriously flawed and corrupt, obviously anything coming out of it will share those characteristics. Third the members have no direct input, no means of analizing or having a real time input into the process. In the meantime the International films the whole thing so they can spend the next three years identifying, isolating and neutralizing opponents and those who push for change that the International resists. Change such as recall, accountability, direct elections etc.

Ok, explain it. I'll bet your answer reinforces my assertion that their interests may conflict with our interests.

Define what you mean by TWU. The members who took massive pay and benifit cuts or the International who didnt lose any benifits and got raises that outpaced inflation?

Yes it certainly does. Once again you make vauge and general charges with nothing to back it up while I give details.

The fact is that you were not a member of Local 562 and you have been unable to produce anyone from the Local that is not on the International that says that I have not supported and worked in behalf of the members. Even in Gless's deposition he claimed that I did an acceptable job as Treasurer. The TWU International hired an accounting firm to comb through our records for over three months and he found no questionable expenses. Do you think the International could face such scrutiny? If so then why were they so terrified about reforms to the LM-2?

The fact is the question was pretty simple, yet you failed to address it. Your evasive behavior leaves anyone who reads this to come to the conclusion that you are insincere and do not want to answer the question.

Is Bob Owens a member of the TWU?

I believe he is, therefore he has the same rights as any other member.

CIO: why do you believe Bob Owens should be singled out because he was removed from office?

Dennis Burchette was certainly removed. Do you believe he should not have any rights?

It is important to remember, Burchette was removed because he was spreading his TWU love with Joe Hasen's (AFW) girlfriend. This after Hasen graciously invited Burchette to stay at his residence while he looked for a place of his own, after having relocated from TUL. Ask around. You will find this to be true. Yes, Burchette was told by Little to resign, or go through the embarassment of being removed. Funny though, Burchette still maintained his International Executive Council seat.

Checking it Out said:
Bob, this poll is coming from the wrong individual.

First off, you were removed for your beliefs. They were not true to the membership.

cio,

This poll is coming from the one of two people who can post it. Your loyalty to a undemocratic industrial union while hiding behind a comfortable alias is typical of an individual afraid of standing up for his/her beliefs.

Bob, and Chuck, were removed by unelected twu international officer because Bob & Chuck did what their members wanted. Their member's wishes/needs went hand in hand with Bob & Chuck's union beliefs. THEY WERE TRUE TO THE MEMBERSHIP!

The international is governed by what ever they want to be governed by as it applies to their present needs. Show me where it says in the consitution that ALL twu officials will be elected/voted on by the full membership. (Hint: Don't look too hard because it is not their.)

The pay is specific about international pay? Why does it not state that these individuals will be appointed by the full membership?

The refusal of the twu to support the membership will be their downfall.

And your legacy will be that of a coward supporting an organization that will not support our great profession.

This poll is coming from the one of two people who can post it. Your loyalty to a undemocratic industrial union while hiding behind a comfortable alias is typical of an individual afraid of standing up for his/her beliefs.

So I guess by your statement that you are calling Decision 2004, Buck, Raptor, and all other peeps in here cowards for using an alias? How about this? How about I question your use of your real name? How do I know for a fact that you are Ken?

Nightwatch said:
So I guess by your statement that you are calling Decision 2004, Buck, Raptor, and all other peeps in here cowards for using an alias? How about this? How about I question your use of your real name? How do I know for a fact that you are Ken?
You dont, just like the TWU did not know that "Bob Owens" on this site was "Bob Owens" the treasurer of Local 562.

They never asked if in fact I was making those posts before they removed me from office for making them.

Bob Owens said:
You dont, just like the TWU did not know that "Bob Owens" on this site was "Bob Owens" the treasurer of Local 562.

They never asked if in fact I was making those posts before they removed me from office for making them.
They knew from your Burger King stains on your posts.

Nightwatch said:
Buck is a nickname I have had for over 25 years. I use this name in my everyday activities at home and at work. My family refers to me as Buck. My co-workers and management call me Buck. The majority of my co-workers have no idea what my real name is. If by using the nickname Buck you believe me to be a coward, at least everyone calls me Buck.

Do all of your friends, co-workers and family refer to you as Nightwatch?

By the way, how old are you anyway?

Buck said:
Buck is a nickname I have had for over 25 years. I use this name in my everyday activities at home and at work. My family refers to me as Buck. My co-workers and management call me Buck. The majority of my co-workers have no idea what my real name is. If by using the nickname Buck you believe me to be a coward, at least everyone calls me Buck.

Do all of your friends, co-workers and family refer to you as Nightwatch?

By the way, how old are you anyway?
Sorry Buck, I'm heterosexual, so my age is not important . So you even go by an alias at home, what a real coward, just ask McTiernan, you coward. And yes, I too must be a coward as you. My family calls me Nightwatch, I go by Nightwatch at work and amongst my friends that is my moniker. So what's your point coward?

Nightwatch,

You really expect people to believe that is your nickname? Your nickname should be "Butt Plug". Seriously, just plain "leftist commie" would suffice.

Vortilon said:
Nightwatch,

You really expect people to believe that is your nickname? Your nickname should be "Butt Plug". Seriously, just plain "leftist commie" would suffice.
Seems you have an unhealthy knowledge of butt plugs....care to share or would that be another painful experience?

Great ability to detect satire though, are you an AMFA officer? Sounds like it.