Republic F/A's?

xoxo

Veteran
Aug 4, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I was non-reving on Republic and I had a newspaper in my seatback pocket and they told me that it is an FAR to stow anything in the seatback pocket...HUH??? I have been a f/a's for a total of 7 years and I have never heard of such a thing? I can see if it is a company policy for Republic but they said FAR...now since when did the FAA make it a law not to put your newspaper in the seatback pocket? Well, I think U needs to find a better place for their magazine and safety cards before the Rupublic F/A's write them up!!!! :shock:
Has anyone else had such an experience with these F/A's ? I have heard of other silly things..but I thought they were kidding..now I seen it and heard it all!! OH, by the way this was not during take off or landing..we are talking during the flight!

I think it all has to do with how their P.O.I. interprets the FAR's. I have been told that their training dept. has told them that the only thing allowed in the seat pocket is the in-flight magazine, sik-sak, and safety card. I must agree with you that it does seem a bit anal to say that it is not allowed during the middle of a flight though. Pretty soon there will be so many rules that common sense just won't be needed anymore.

I think it all has to do with how their P.O.I. interprets the FAR's. I have been told that their training dept. has told them that the only thing allowed in the seat pocket is the in-flight magazine, sik-sak, and safety card. I must agree with you that it does seem a bit anal to say that it is not allowed during the middle of a flight though. Pretty soon there will be so many rules that common sense just won't be needed anymore.

As a passenger on Republic's United Express flights... been told that as well. The first time, I didn't know what was going on when the flight attendant got nasty with me for having my magazine in the seat pocket. She made me take it out and put it loose in the overhead for take-off.

Then again, this flight attendant told us after landing "Thank you for being such obedient passengers" in her announcement. A couple of people make nasty comments to her during deplaning.

I don't see a problem with this. Afterall rules is rules and you just "stow" your newspaper under the seat if front of you or in the overhead bin. As a customer you are under no obligation to pick it up. You can "Accidently forget" to take it with you. When they get tired of bending over to pick them up things will change. I LOVE rules.

It isn't a rule because they don't want to clean. After my Republic experience, I mentioned it a buddy of mine who is a big shot at Delta and she queried Republic out of similar curiousity as to the reason behind this rule. As stated here, the POI at Republic requires this. She went crazy when seeing passengers putting larger items into seat-back pockets and wrote in the operating requirements that nothing is allowed in the seat back pocket unless the airline puts it there. In trying to launch a new certificate/aircraft operation, Republic has had bigger fish to fry than fighting the very person who has a say in certifying them.

I understand all of that perfectly well JAX. I'm just saying that if you comply with the rules and leave your stuff behind, the F/A's will not be so quick to enforce it.

For every rule there is a way around it. It's the rebel in me. I love the employees but I hate stupid and as usual the root of stupid can be traced directly to the Federal Government.

I would certainly hope flight attendants would enforce any FAA directive regardless. For their own sake. Having worked in the safety department of a major airline and interacting with our FAA office, saw and heard about far too many employees written up for doing what common sense would call "the right thing."

I would certainly hope flight attendants would enforce any FAA directive regardless. For their own sake. Having worked in the safety department of a major airline and interacting with our FAA office, saw and heard about far too many employees written up for doing what common sense would call "the right thing."

Backdoor----

newspapers and magazines are not part of the carry on rule thus they dont have to be stowed.....

write the faa and quote the f/a....guarentee you it wont happen again...reguardless of poi

thats a silly rule and surely isnt a government directive. its easily defeated by taking your business elsewhere, but be kind enough to put a letter in to proper people in charge stating why, perhaps that silly rule will change :)

Republic has had bigger fish to fry than fighting the very person who has a say in certifying them.

Like getting certified for a flaps 4 takeoff....... which is going to start costing USAirways (NOT republic) a shitload of money, very very soon. Hopefully someone in the Desert Palace does load reports of routes taken over by Republic and compares revenue & passengers carried compared to MidAtlantic, and shows it to Doug Parker. His mouth will drop so far down you'll see it in china.

I saw the same thing when I flew on them. The one FA actually stood in the aisle and asked for everyones attention and shouted down the plane that NOTHING can be in seatpockets "even a candy bar wrapper"- where do they get these people.

They also leave the lights on - THE WHOLE FLIGHT!!!!!!! Even at night and for takeoff and landing... isn't that a safety hazard? How would your eyes adjust in an emergency? Not to mention its hell trying to sleep with those window lights on. They also make people raise the windowshades for landing and wake people up to do it! I thought that only applied to small planes?

Service wise they are awful. Cup of soda going to Texas and thats it. No inflight-cafe meals, no coffee service- once they give you your coke thats it. No pillows and blankets, and they don't hang coats in the closet. I guess the pilllows dont matter since even if you can sleep with the lights on they will wake you anyway to get you to take a tissue out of the seatpocket.

They do a bizarre safety demo thats nothing like the US Airways one- they turn around in the aisles and do all this weird stuff. The announcements are all prerecorded but they dont sound like US Airways announcements. They mention Republic Airlines over and over in the announcement. Everyone knows they are Republic and hates them, stop telling our customers who could care less that they are Republic. US Airways is the one who suffers from thier no service and nazi FAs.

The MidAtlantic flights were great and they are laying them off and giving those MAINLINE planes to Republic. It's outsourcing and the outsourced product is always worse. Especially with MDA because those people cared about thier customers and jobs probably more than anyone at US because they had lost them once before.

An MDA FA had her bid sheet in the seat pocket and the Republic FA told her to take it out. She asked how come, and he said its a FAR etc. She told him shes a mainline FA and has never heard of such a thing. He then told her its specific to the 170- so she said I'm MA Division, Ive flown these for two years, so thats not true. She took it out but asked to see his manual and he said its not in there, its just an "FAA rule." He also said "THIS ISNT MIDATLANTIC"

Aint that the truth! THEY ARE NO MIDATLANTIC!!! I sure hope Doug thinks the contract employees are making more money for US than the Midatlantic employees did.

Who is Republic???? Is it like Mesa? A US Airways Express?

If they were doing all this weird things, I suggest you start video recording them and send it to the company. With the invention of cellphone cameras and mini digital cameras, it shouldn't be hard to catch them in the act!

Sounds very unprofessional to me.

I saw the same thing when I flew on them. The one FA actually stood in the aisle and asked for everyones attention and shouted down the plane that NOTHING can be in seatpockets "even a candy bar wrapper"- where do they get these people.

They also leave the lights on - THE WHOLE FLIGHT!!!!!!! Even at night and for takeoff and landing... isn't that a safety hazard? How would your eyes adjust in an emergency? Not to mention its hell trying to sleep with those window lights on. They also make people raise the windowshades for landing and wake people up to do it! I thought that only applied to small planes?

Service wise they are awful. Cup of soda going to Texas and thats it. No inflight-cafe meals, no coffee service- once they give you your coke thats it. No pillows and blankets, and they don't hang coats in the closet. I guess the pilllows dont matter since even if you can sleep with the lights on they will wake you anyway to get you to take a tissue out of the seatpocket.

They do a bizarre safety demo thats nothing like the US Airways one- they turn around in the aisles and do all this weird stuff. The announcements are all prerecorded but they dont sound like US Airways announcements. They mention Republic Airlines over and over in the announcement. Everyone knows they are Republic and hates them, stop telling our customers who could care less that they are Republic. US Airways is the one who suffers from thier no service and nazi FAs.

The MidAtlantic flights were great and they are laying them off and giving those MAINLINE planes to Republic. It's outsourcing and the outsourced product is always worse. Especially with MDA because those people cared about thier customers and jobs probably more than anyone at US because they had lost them once before.

An MDA FA had her bid sheet in the seat pocket and the Republic FA told her to take it out. She asked how come, and he said its a FAR etc. She told him shes a mainline FA and has never heard of such a thing. He then told her its specific to the 170- so she said I'm MA Division, Ive flown these for two years, so thats not true. She took it out but asked to see his manual and he said its not in there, its just an "FAA rule." He also said "THIS ISNT MIDATLANTIC"

Aint that the truth! THEY ARE NO MIDATLANTIC!!! I sure hope Doug thinks the contract employees are making more money for US than the Midatlantic employees did.
The reason that they do not hang coats in the closet (or put anything in there for that matter) is because they (Republic Airways)are so inept that they actually moved the emergency equipment (all of it from the fwd area) to the closet leaving it useless for passengers. I had to non-rev on them and actually heard one of their mechanics making wise cracks about MAA mx saying what a terrible job they did. I almost fell out of my seat when I heard that, I felt like saying yeah right "Watch and learn how it's done at a REAL airline" I do not think I have ever been so angry in my life as at that one moment. The whole MAA group is a FANTASTIC bunch of people. Maybe Republic should take notes since none of those people would probably be here if not for MAA or US Airways.

Like getting certified for a flaps 4 takeoff....... which is going to start costing USAirways (NOT republic) a shitload of money, very very soon. Hopefully someone in the Desert Palace does load reports of routes taken over by Republic and compares revenue & passengers carried compared to MidAtlantic, and shows it to Doug Parker. His mouth will drop so far down you'll see it in china.
what doe flaps four mean?

Would someone please find and post the FAA directive indicating that said stowage is in violation of "anything". I don't believe it until I see it. Sounds more like a corporate directive to me. Prove me wrong, post the link to the law. Let's see the F/A's face when everyone on the plane has their bottled water, snacks, reading material, listening devices, placed in the only possible location - between their knees. Thanks Piney, the law is one thing, stupid is another. I don't believe that the FAA gives a "rodents behind" what's in the pocket. Would someone please arrest the child that stowed their chewed gum there, or the old geezer that left his snotrags behind!

Latest posts

Back