Reservations Employee Terminations

olivia

Advanced
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
In the past month or so, we have seen at least four or five employees
terminated for attendance. Specifically, family leaves that were
not approved. Rumors that some of these people had conditions such
as prostate cancer, a serious operation, etc.

It doesn't seem right to me and I hope the CWA lawyers will get
on these cases.

While I do not know the entire story of each situation and I agree
that abusing family leave is a problem, I can only hope that if I had
a serious illness I would not lose my job.

Any comments???

If these leaves are valid then there is no reason the Attorneys shouldn't be able to save these people their jobs... I have been furloughed since May and can only imagine the Chaos going on around the company...BUT, you have to remember that F/A's can be crafty thus, finding ways to keep from Flying... Hell, I used to be able to pull off a lot when necessary... BUT, this is what everyone voted on and this is what you will have to deal with. If the people are with Valid Family leaves..Nothing is going to happen to them....But if they are trying to get some time off... SORRY they're screwed.....

Hey Colby, pull that naive head of your out of the sand! I pray you never have to learn the hard way and have to face a life-threatening illness. But it seems it would be the only way for you to get a reality check. You remind me of the famous post-WWII poem…
(I paraphrase) first they came after the Jews, then Catholics, etc. – but not being a Jew or Catholic, I didn't worry. But in the end, they came after me.
A bit strong, yet perfect analogy.
Colby, to this day, I can still the my manager's voice in my head as he told me some years ago while I was faced some particularly difficult days related to my health and the related sick calls. At the conclusion of that particularly difficult and threatening conversation, his words to me were, "Frankly _____, you can't afford to be sick anymore!"
And you think we have nothing to worry, so long as our claims are legitimate? Colby, this company's has many rogue supervisors and managers who can be very cruel.
And they get away with it.

Family leave is denied all over PHL. People have ligit reasons for the use of it but it is a form letter. DENIED. We have a guy with a kidney transplant denied.
We have a diabetic floppin around the ramp once a week denied. (sounds cruel but true) This company is out to screw every employee it can. Get the A scalers to quit bring in cheaper labor. Get a lawyer, fight for your rights!! the company is fighting for themselves.

fast said:
Family leave is denied all over PHL. People have ligit reasons for the use of it but it is a form letter. DENIED. We have a guy with a kidney transplant denied.
We have a diabetic floppin around the ramp once a week denied. (sounds cruel but true) This company is out to screw every employee it can. Get the A scalers to quit bring in cheaper labor. Get a lawyer, fight for your rights!! the company is fighting for themselves.
Things like this shouldn't come as a shock knowing the hatred this airline has for it's employees, yes I think hatred is exactly what it is. Back in 1994, one of my co-workers was denied a vacation day. The reason, she needed that day? She had
to attend an afternnon wedding, her own. And the ywonder why morale is in the
cesspool.

What me run airline?

Aryeh,

Pardon me for having an opinion!! I was trying to explain to allof you that are holier than thou that I know A LOT of Flight Attendants that would take advantage of sick calls and sick time!! SO, let me again say .... IF THEY HAVE A VALID EXCUSE(thus, illness) THEN THERE IS NO REASON A LAWYER WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET THEM THEIR JOB BACK AND/OR THE LEAVE THEY REQUESTED !!! I understand that management doesn't want to give anyone the time they need off but you all need to understand that you could have it alot worse and not have a union to back you. A friend of mine works for a company with out a union and she can't even call in sick or she'll be fired........ Oh and as for your little poem.... PLLLZZZZZZZ give me a break....although I may have German blood running through me I'm not a NAZI !! Remeber I'm not in Management !!!!

PineyBob said:
This is what the company fails to understand. When you set up these "witch hunts" to seek out and eliminate those who are true abusers of the policy what you end up doing is penalizing the great and good solid workers who are the life blood of an organization.

The other thing is not only do you demoralize the Superior troops you fail to catch and eliminate the ones that need to go as they are masters at working the system. It's just a losing proposition as the good workers rally around each other to fight back and that further protects the bad apples
If the company really and truly went after abusers and didn't go after people with legitimate needs then it would be good for morale. Nothing is more frustrating than coming to work and giving it your best only to see some slug destroying all of your efforts by goofing off, faking sickness or whatever and then watching management refuse to deal with it directly. :down:

I suspect, however, that the company approaches these things the same way they approach customer issues -- they don't want to confront individuals so they find ways to punish the whole group instead. Stifling the legitimate uses of discretion and flexibility in order to stamp out a very small number of problems. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Colby:
I really didn't know "Colby" is German. I do speak German and had no idea!
As for getting a lawyer, no one can not! It's not that easy, nor is it affordable, especially while you're facing termination and you're ill, all at the same time.
As for other workplaces, they're not relevant nor does your example of other workplaces don't make me feel better.
Going after attendance is an easy target. Meanwhile we have agents who can't issue a ticket and constantly have to ask others how to do this and how to do that. Nothing happens to them but their attendance is great!

I can't believe you all have nothing better to do than to bash a fellow worker for an opinion. Piney Bob...You are absolutely correct with what you say but unfortanately for all the UsAir employees we have to pay for what people over the years have done to us.

As for you ARYEH..... Have you ever heard of a "NICK NAME?" Colby is just my nickname...I am not going to use my name on here. Anyway I am(if you really need to know) Irish and French also. OH and may I add a CATHOLIC!!! I get the feeling from what you wrote you may not be a Flight Attendant like I am therefore we exist from 2 complete worlds. You talk about Agents that can't check people in.... Well, I knew more about the Sabre system then 25 year Flight Attendants that came to me to figure out how to bid for Vacation!!! SO, Until you get a little more life behind you....don't judge those you don't know. And, if you went through some illness while working for this company...I am truly sorry that you had a rough road. I don't want to make enemies with anyone...I just want everyone to understand that People have a way to screw things up for the rest of us!!!!!!!

Ever heard the saying:

"I know you heard what you thought I said, but what you said you heard is not what I thought I said."

(or something to that effect?) :D I knew I'd screw that quote up... :blink: :rolleyes:

I think thats what is going on in this thread.

Colby... Olivia was referring to the difficulty employees are facing getting legitimate family leave approved and that apparently some were terminated for attendance problems. As you know, approved family leave is exempt from attendance discipline... but if the family leave is denied, then the resultant attendance problem becomes a disciplinary matter and the employees may be subject to termination for excessive absence. Thus, a person with a serious health condition whose family leave is denied faces a no win situation, come to work and jeopardize your health (if you are even able to), or risk termination when you don't come to work. She seemed to me to be speaking in particular of RES employees, covered under the CWA agreement.

Then you stated that "FA's" are "crafty" and can get time off, and that employees with legitimate leaves can get attorney assistance to get their job back. You even stated " If the people are with Valid Family leaves..Nothing is going to happen to them....But if they are trying to get some time off... SORRY they're screwed..... You state you have been off the property since May, so perhaps you are unaware, but there seems to be a systematic, deliberate system in place to clamp down on FMLA and employees with valid reasons are being denied by a rubber stamp process. It is real, and it is happening. Indeed, things are happening to people with totally valid medical reasons to be out on FMLA. Employees should not be forced to seek legal representation to partake of their rights under Federal law.

The poem Aryeh was referring to was not an slur towards you or anyone else... it is a famous poem written in the ww2 era, with the point of the poem being that if no one speaks out when another groups rights are being violated, soon there is no one left to speak out... as each group is systematically "picked off" or attacked. This poem has been the theme for many similar statements and modified or adapted through the years, with the same basic message... people need to care for and look out for one another. It had nothing to do with being Jewish, or Catholic, being German or having a "German" name...(or a flight attendant or res agent for that matter!) I am providing a link to it if you care to read it:

http://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/pa09/europetrip/...caust.htm#first

No one was implying your were a Nazi! I think you took offense when none was directed at you.

As for the other workplaces, that is true, its not relevant to this problem we face. We are dealing with what management is doing to us, HERE, and it needs to stop and stop now. Saying we have it better than others, while true in some regard, does not lessen the wrong that is being done to people with serious medical problems. This is yet another form of intimidation from the palace dwellers that only know this kind of technique.

So I don't know if this clarifies a darn thing but this problem is very real, very unfair, and needs to be addressed.

PS: Thanks for sharing the humor about "pulling out on time" on the other thread.

Tom, both of your insights are correct, and I'd like to add another.

I have often, in the past and recently, seen management look the other way when one of their apple polishers abuses attendance policy, and then stick it to one of the 'out' members.

This management, from top to bottom, has no ethics.

Dilligas, Yes I have been off "THE PROPERTY" Since May(thankGOD) and the way you have "Clarified" these items make absolute sense. Maybe Aryeh needs to take a class from you in employee relations to see how to speak with fellow employees without "Pointing a finger and name calling" Remember HE/SHE/IT started off with telling me to "Pull My Naive head out of the sand" It's a shame that the company has managed to turn employee against employee but we need to be the bigger persons and move on together with matters that of concern rather than name calling and downing one anothers opinion!

Your welcome for the joke....you all need to lighten up...that is how you will be able to make through each day!!!

Diogenes.....what can I say.....Thankyou for understanding what I was saying !!!