Failed drug test termination fleet service please help.

Micificent28

Jan 16, 2020
Hello I suppose I am currently a former employee of 8 years. Just another day on the ramp it was suppose to be when I was unexpectedly run into by another employee. Unknowingly I had taken a unprescribed tylenol in the cabinet that had codeine in it. Long story short they terminated my employement pending a few up and coming hearings. I have written documents from my doctor explaining the situation for the reason I took the pill and my numbers explained by him were not consistent with that of someone who was abusing opioids. That said a failed drug test is a failed drug test and I am freaking out over If I can get my job back or not. If anyone has gone through a similar situation and has any insight please let me know what happens next and how can i better my chances of being rehired.

You were on the ramp and operating a vehicle under the effects of codeine? You're lucky you didn't injure or kill someone.

The union should be able to file a grievance/appeal, but good luck getting your job back given what little you've told us.

Only experience I have had is a bit of knowledge handed to me after I was given a drug RX that was not allowed. Most people do not know this and they think otherwise, but I am here to tell ya all what can and will happen.
People think they are safe as long as they have a prescription. This is true with some drugs, but not the case for any drug listed on the FAA's list of prohibited drugs or meds while working live a/c or a/c parts. If anyone is drug tested, random or for issues, and they pop a positive for one of these drugs listed on the Faa's list you will be terminated. Not the co's call on this, it's the FAA's "absolute '0' tolerance policy". Now if someone would have one of the drugs in you from a prescription and it is not on the FAA's list of prohibited drugs list, and the numbers reflect the exact dosage given by a Dr. then they will be overlooked without termination, BUT, could still be counseled and or asked to stay off live a/c and parts until system is cleared. If an individual is ever asked to do so and they argue it, they still can be terminated if they refuse the co's wishes.
Sir, I have no clue the level and amount of codeine you had, however, if you had no prescript for it at the time you were under the influence of it, you may not have a leg to stand on with the "0" tolerance in aviation. However, I would contact the union, ask them to set a meeting for you and the co. and explain the mix up and basically beg for forgiveness to get your job back. I wish you luck sir. In my 30 years I have never seen anyone popped for drugs get their job back for any reason. The aviation "0" tolerance is exactly that, "0" tolerance.

Hi!! Feel free to PM me,
Our union will fight and you will have your job back, it will be a while before it happens but you will have it!!
Swamt is not employed by AA therefore should not have any comments to say in this matter or how it should be handled!!
I know of pilots that have had issues with certain things and today are flying!!

You were on the ramp and operating a vehicle under the effects of codeine? You're lucky you didn't injure or kill someone.

The union should be able to file a grievance/appeal, but good luck getting your job back given what little you've told us.

It was one pill. a tylenol no less. that said multiple people work under those same conditions everyday The difference is I suppose the prescription. One pill isn't enough to make you lucid or high.

Only experience I have had is a bit of knowledge handed to me after I was given a drug RX that was not allowed. Most people do not know this and they think otherwise, but I am here to tell ya all what can and will happen.
People think they are safe as long as they have a prescription. This is true with some drugs, but not the case for any drug listed on the FAA's list of prohibited drugs or meds while working live a/c or a/c parts. If anyone is drug tested, random or for issues, and they pop a positive for one of these drugs listed on the Faa's list you will be terminated. Not the co's call on this, it's the FAA's "absolute '0' tolerance policy". Now if someone would have one of the drugs in you from a prescription and it is not on the FAA's list of prohibited drugs list, and the numbers reflect the exact dosage given by a Dr. then they will be overlooked without termination, BUT, could still be counseled and or asked to stay off live a/c and parts until system is cleared. If an individual is ever asked to do so and they argue it, they still can be terminated if they refuse the co's wishes.
Sir, I have no clue the level and amount of codeine you had, however, if you had no prescript for it at the time you were under the influence of it, you may not have a leg to stand on with the "0" tolerance in aviation. However, I would contact the union, ask them to set a meeting for you and the co. and explain the mix up and basically beg for forgiveness to get your job back. I wish you luck sir. In my 30 years I have never seen anyone popped for drugs get their job back for any reason. The aviation "0" tolerance is exactly that, "0" tolerance.

thats weird because looking into it every airline has a second chance keep your job policy from what im seeing besides american who normally terminates with the option to rehire.

thats weird because looking into it every airline has a second chance keep your job policy from what im seeing besides american who normally terminates with the option to rehire.
American will take you back as soon as you do your REHAB program, are you leaving something out of the story?? Something does not sound very correct here! What station did this happen at? Was you with the shop stewards when they took you for the drug test?? Were you hurt in the accident??

If it wasn’t prescribed then how did you get it? Was it someone else’s prescription?

Basically it was an old out of date prescription. Mine or the wife's you ever had medicine left over after a visit? Bottom line is it wasn't a valid prescription which is what it's going to come down to and the company probably is looking at it like your an addict. If you have worked on the ramp long enough I'm sure you have accumulated a lot of mileage in injuries joints and pains along the way this job wears on you.

Mic. Ive seen only couple times whereas someone got caught w tiny amount marijuana. Kept his job but on a level for 1 yr. Couple others for havin accidents. In ur case if they bring u back chances are theyll have u go thru rehab n then a last chance type thing. Best of luck

Basically it was an old out of date prescription. Mine or the wife's you ever had medicine left over after a visit? Bottom line is it wasn't a valid prescription which is what it's going to come down to and the company probably is looking at it like your an addict. If you have worked on the ramp long enough I'm sure you have accumulated a lot of mileage in injuries joints and pains along the way this job wears on you.
I understand the pains you get from working the ramp. I spent many years throwing bags. I hope
You get your job back.

Reactions: Micificent28
There was an incident in TULE of an employee that used his daughter's cough medicine also containing codeine.
I cannot remember his name, however, he was able to get his job back. The company could have a record but I am not sure.
It has been over 10 years. If they grant you a one-step advisory letter. If it happens again you will be terminated

You will retain you job especially if you have never been through the EAP program. Once you fail the test, typically they will terminate, then send you through the program. You will then be afforded a meeting with the “COO” of the station to tell your story and he or she will make a decision on reinstatement. I’ve been involved with at least 20 AC damage cases where the employee failed the drug test but eventually retained their job. As a matter of fact I’ve never seen anyone not brought back after their first failed test. If you fail randoms, as required by after treatment, in the following year you will be terminated for good.