Roddey Not Happen

Row,

I respect First's opinion. He calls it like it is.

For you to say however, this is how our capitalistic economy works, is an understatement, and for that reason alone I advocate for good American jobs to bring that "slant" over and create a balance. That is exactly what unions do. The premise is to elevate the standards and share the wealth by bargaining or by force. It makes the world go round and thats why the system still works. Throughout our history we have this pushing and pulling, and we acheive this balance. In our present Industry, things once again are off kilter, and we folks who are the back bone and the builders of American will prepare for better times to push.

As a citizen of PA, we have problem in our state. High unemployment. And the second highest elderly population, that are on fixed incomes and need affordable medical coverage. Can't keep raising the property taxes without stimulating job creation; good jobs that can address these kinds of problems and solve them. This is why I am vigilant and out spoken. I know the problems in our State. I live in PA and want the best bang for my tax dollar buck. I had said on these boards, it feels wierd being employed by U and wanting the best and then being a resident and wanting the best for my State. Somewehere, for all parties I hope we achieve and solve the problems for all parties concerned so neither feels cheated or cohersed to comply. Now that's just good business.

Rudy comments: I have many examples to prove my point, but let me close with regard to the PIT hub.

There is a bean counter somewhere staring at his data, lamenting the fact that $8 goes to service debt at PIT, and the remaining $1 goes to pay the janitor to clean the toilets. This same bean counter is not looking at the broader picture which includes jet fuel, engine costs, crew costs, delays......and the total package. He has not been tasked with the broader picture. Today's management structure would not allow him to do this even if he decided to do so.

Folks these are the true barriers to success at our company.

Management, if you are out there listening in cyberspace somehow...I bid you to ride with me on my next 3-day trip and prove me wrong.

PITbull Responds: You have stated the honest to God truth in a "nut shell". Well put!

Pitbull-

I hear you and respect the efforts of organized labor and its role in the economy. I guess I'm just not that interpersonal of a person. U's strategy MAY be a question of character and loyalty and niceness, BUT I don't see any evidence of it. I see a pretty standard US Corporation. I don't like it either.

Part of what I'm trying to say regarding PA's situation, which I also sympathize with is it's NOT the airport's problem to solve.

ACAA has assets and revenues. It's against the law for those to be used for a jobs program. Aeronautical users, directly through lease and fee payments, and, indirectly through Federal ticket taxes, paid for the bulk of the construction of PIT. Those funds are to be used for the benefit of aviation, not economic development for PA.

That's just the law. I understand that you are talking about PA taxpayer's dollars. If that's what Roddey is talking about, then it's likely to be fine. However, Roddey doesn't sound like that's what he's talking about.

Finally, U happens to know first hand that the Feds are not likely to allow PA or PIT or PHL to punish U at PA airports for the pattern of its service or its wages. U can contract to cover costs and lease space (which, admittedly, U lawfully rejected in bankruptcy)

Chip Munn said:
Regardless of the reason why, PIT's operating costs are too high for a city with low O&D traffic. I agree with PineyBob that Dave Siegel holds all of the cards and it's in the best interest of those interested in the success of US for the airline to drive down its PIT costs as much as possible.

The government's proposal provided the airline with capital improvements, but marginally addressed the debt.

In my opinion, there will be an eventual agreement to keep the PIT hub, but it will not occur until the end of the year. Each day that goes by increases the pressure on government leaders, which is good from a negotiating point.

Furthermore, a restructured PIT hub will put significant pressure on NW at DTW and DL at CVG, especially with the new low-cost MAA division coming on-line shortly with an industry leading regional product.

Best regards,

Chip
Furthermore, a restructured PIT hub will put significant pressure on NW at DTW and DL at CVG, especially with the new low-cost MAA division coming on-line shortly with an industry leading regional product.

Chip

You must be kidding "put significant pressure on NW at DTW" ? PIT doesn't even compare to NW's DTW operation. Have you been to NW's "World Gateway"? If you were to compare hubs with NW, Memphis is more like PIT not DTW. And what is so "industry leading" about MAA? I believe NW was the first (or one of) carriers to offer first class on it's regional jets. US is playing catch-up with regional jets.