Roddey Offers Advice...

cubfan02us

Sep 10, 2002
Airlines' future uncertain, departing Roddey cautions
Negotiating pact with US Airways called pointless

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

By Jeffrey Cohan, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Departing Allegheny County Chief Executive Jim Roddey has one word of advice for his successor on how to negotiate with US Airways.

Don't.

Roddey, in an interview yesterday, recommended that the county stop negotiating with the airline, describing the on-again/off-again talks as pointless.

"I don't know how [Chief Executive-elect] Dan Onorato feels about it, but I don't see why we bother meeting with them," Roddey said.

Onorato, who could not be reached for comment, has expressed his intention to continue the negotiations, which are focusing on lowering the airline's operating costs at Pittsburgh International Airport.

But US Airways' uncertain future makes the airline an unreliable negotiator, Roddey maintained. He predicted that US Airways would do one of two things in 2004: go back into bankruptcy or merge with another carrier.

"I don't think US Airways can continue to operate as they're operating now," Roddey said.

"Whatever they promise doesn't mean anything," he added. "They're going to try to do whatever it is that keeps them viable, regardless of what they say [in negotiations]."

Roddney is right.

Has USAirways under David Siegel negotiated in good faith on anything?
David Siegel is not a man of integrity. He has violated every agreement with the unions thus far. Can he be trusted to keep any agreement with ACAA?

Unless David Siegel is removed from CEO and we get leadership that is honest and trustworthy, we are doomed.

When I was a child I learned "say what you mean and mean what you say"

Apearently Siegel never learned this.

local lodge 1976 didn't even endorse roddey for his re-election....heres a guy who bent over backwards to help keep IAM union positions(and all the others too),went that extra mile and they don't endorse him...oh,hes a republican....so much for the non biased MNPL,heh?