Runway extension project at PHL

Let's hope it helps.

Of course, I found one part of this article comical:

Both the airspace redesign and the long-range runway changes have been endorsed by regional business leaders but have generated spirited opposition from residents in scattered locations in Delaware and Montgomery Counties, New Jersey, and the state of Delaware because of their potential to increase aircraft noise.

I don't get people that choose to live near an airport, and complain about noise. It's like . .hellooooo????

Let's hope it helps.

Of course, I found one part of this article comical:

Both the airspace redesign and the long-range runway changes have been endorsed by regional business leaders but have generated spirited opposition from residents in scattered locations in Delaware and Montgomery Counties, New Jersey, and the state of Delaware because of their potential to increase aircraft noise.

I don't get people that choose to live near an airport, and complain about noise. It's like . .hellooooo????
The noise today with the kids driving by with their hip-hop at high volume doesn't mean nothing to them. Wait a minute, it must be their kids doing that.

This is something I had not heard before:

"McDonald said the FAA had already determined that Philadelphia's delays were unlikely to be reduced much by greater use by other airports in the region, including Atlantic City International, Lehigh Valley International, and Willow Grove Naval Air Station."

17/35 isn't 5000' long actually. It's 5460' currently. 8/26 is 5000' long. It's hard to imagine that extending this runway would help a whole lot, but I'm happy to see any ideas at all.

I think the alley should be more of a concern to airport planners than the runway length. I also think fixing PHL with patch-up solutions is like flogging a dead horse. Philadelphia would be better off starting over with a new airport that was properly designed for today's airplanes and larger volume.

The midfield option looks a lot like ATL, DEN and PIT - the three newest large class B airports. Not coincidentally, traffic flow is seamless and efficient at all of them (even when PIT was a very, very busy airport in the mid-90's). It's the best option for PHL's long term needs, despite it's 10+ year construction time from ground breaking to completion.

Regarding the approach to completely rebuild the airport. What tends to get lost in proposing such a grand plan is the potential substantial increase in Landing Fees - to pay for it. You could wind up with a magnificant white elephant, like PIT.

Regarding the approach to completely rebuild the airport. What tends to get lost in proposing such a grand plan is the potential substantial increase in Landing Fees - to pay for it. You could wind up with a magnificant white elephant, like PIT.

No wonder then that Doug just loves PHL as it is.

PHL won't become a white elephant as long as it has the larger O&D traffic that PIT lacked.