Sabre DECS

I'm not sure I would call it a seamless transition. Although the W&B portion may have gone relatively smoothly, I get the impression that getting releases has been a major headache.

West O/T departure rate:

Wednesday - all mainline = 32%, PHX & LAS = 25%
Thursday - all mainline = 38%, PHX = 29%, LAS = 22%
Friday - all mainline = 44%, PHX = 39%, LAS = 36%

Here's an excerpt from a post on FlyerTalk describing what happened on one flight Wednesday:

We sat on the ground, at the gate, for a hour. Captain said that they were waiting for a FAX of the paperwork they required. 30 minutes later, a man came on board with the FAX. We closed up and were ready to push back. No push back. Captain came back on and said they were missing TWENTY pages of the FAX. So they opened back up and we waited for that.

Jim

I'm not sure I would call it a seamless transition. Although the W&B portion may have gone relatively smoothly, I get the impression that getting releases has been a major headache.

West O/T departure rate:

Wednesday - all mainline = 32%, PHX & LAS = 25%
Thursday - all mainline = 38%, PHX = 29%, LAS = 22%
Friday - all mainline = 44%, PHX = 39%, LAS = 36%

Here's an excerpt from a post on FlyerTalk describing what happened on one flight Wednesday:

We sat on the ground, at the gate, for a hour. Captain said that they were waiting for a FAX of the paperwork they required. 30 minutes later, a man came on board with the FAX. We closed up and were ready to push back. No push back. Captain came back on and said they were missing TWENTY pages of the FAX. So they opened back up and we waited for that.

Jim

This is nothing that wasn't done prior to the days of CLP. I preferred to do the W&B at the station instead of making multiple phone calls to CLP so they could do what I used to be able to on my own.

I also prefer a local W&B. Too many times the CLP is not on top of changing weather and typically a late W&B has wrong runway information/temperature/whatever. Perhaps the local dispatch could input the correct runway since a casual look at the weather does not always describe the operational situation, especially in Europe?

When it works, it is fast. When it is not, it is not. It highlights why centralization works a lot of the time, but, when it fails, one could never describe the resulting mess as "graceful".

I also prefer a local W&B. Too many times the CLP is not on top of changing weather and typically a late W&B has wrong runway information/temperature/whatever. Perhaps the local dispatch could input the correct runway since a casual look at the weather does not always describe the operational situation, especially in Europe?

When it works, it is fast. When it is not, it is not. It highlights why centralization works a lot of the time, but, when it fails, one could never describe the resulting mess as "graceful".

I agree...when it works it works fast. There are times when it doesnt and thats station failure. I started this thread to see who would come and speak. I am not in a position to change anything but train these people and travel the world to make sure things are right. I wanted to know what was wrong.

Well, we NEVER had to wait for our numbers. No matter what. But Dispatch was shooting the info through pretty quickly last week. Coming from having done all the grunt work pre-pushback, I'm not totally keen yet on the FO jamming numbers in from the heads-down position during taxi. Besides that, I used DECS at Eagle and have been missing it for years. I like having the airport info, like jet-bridge codes, and the aircraft subsequent flight info handy. I think it was the best of the two systems. Imagine that, I had to switch to the other side's way of doing things and I'm not kicking or screaming or crying or anything.

How much other DECS access do you guys have? At Eagle we could pull all that up from any computer with internet access. In addition we could also view MX history, previous write-ups, inbound crew, WX, and damn near anything the hides in sabre. It was great to do before leaving the hotel so you could see what you were in for, or save the trip to the airport if the plane was late or totally broken. Can you guys do that?

Currently DECS is not available to crews on the internet, only at work at crew room or gate terminals.

It's been years since SABRE sign in codes were issued. I think you have to go to your Chief Pilots Office and they will get you set up on initial sign in. Most of the info you mention is available, although I'm not sure there is any SABRE/DECS "gouge" available anywhere any more. Many years ago it was presented to flight crews, but I'm not sure the info is available anywhere at this time.

FYI, if you look at the bottom of the TPS, the load agent direct dial phone number is shown. A call from your cellphone is often the quickest way to resolve a tardy W+B, if you choose to do so, that is.

Currently DECS is not available to crews on the internet, only at work at crew room or gate terminals.

It's been years since SABRE sign in codes were issued. I think you have to go to your Chief Pilots Office and they will get you set up on initial sign in. Most of the info you mention is available, although I'm not sure there is any SABRE/DECS "gouge" available anywhere any more. Many years ago it was presented to flight crews, but I'm not sure the info is available anywhere at this time.

FYI, if you look at the bottom of the TPS, the load agent direct dial phone number is shown. A call from your cellphone is often the quickest way to resolve a tardy W+B, if you choose to do so, that is.

This is becoming something else which is why I have never posted. Sabre sines have to go thru your management. I cant even manage my own...I wish the west would answer my basic question but no news is good news

This is becoming something else which is why I have never posted. Sabre sines have to go thru your management. I cant even manage my own...I wish the west would answer my basic question but no news is good news

CGAFT
First off welcome. I know you are new here. When replying to posts if you wish to quote just hit the quote reply button then enter & you should be able to add your response with the quoted post.

CGAFT
First off welcome. I know you are new here. When replying to posts if you wish to quote just hit the quote reply button then enter & you should be able to add your response with the quoted post.

CGAFT

Thanks, I read every day butfelt compeled to ask a question. I will try not to do anything bad.

Thanks, I read every day butfelt compeled to ask a question. I will try not to do anything bad.

And to al lthe flight crews reading.... for the OCC in PIT its 412-747-XXXX for the dispatcher...same thing for west guys.....480-693-xxxx.....the name and number should be on the first or second page of the release....just above the MEL section...

most of the #s in OCC did not change with the merger... and with the most junior east pilot having like 13 years seniority, I believe they have that # memorized by now :)

CG, I know yer trying to be helpful, but most of the CSRs that post on this board either do it late night or early morning. You should expect some feedback by Monday.

DECS can be a very interesting system if you learn it.. there are a lot of things some of the guys on the east can teach you (unless you are from the east).. I know when I was learning DECS I used to spend hours looking at stats, data, ops information, etc.

And welcome to the board.

Latest posts