Sabre DECS

CGAft

Sep 29, 2007
From an Eastie....how do you all feel about your new hot rod. The migration was almost flawless..

question for Boeing Boy...if you are out there...many west pilots were amazad at the delivery of the flight release to them and the final w/b numbers via ACARS. Would you say that in the time of CLP you had your numbers 90% of the time before being number 2 for the runway?

It's more like 95%, we usually get the W/B during pushback or engine start.

More like during taxi, but usually before it's time to fly. Might take multiple calls to load control or an e-mail to your dispatcher to ensure the flight has been closed out by the gate or the ramp and numbers entered in the system.

A good system though, if all hands do their inputs in a timely fashion.

im glad..that means ive done my job and the crews are getting their data...far removed but the ops folks are doing their thing...im still waiting for a westie to complain....they just got a hot rod

Well, we NEVER had to wait for our numbers. No matter what. But Dispatch was shooting the info through pretty quickly last week. Coming from having done all the grunt work pre-pushback, I'm not totally keen yet on the FO jamming numbers in from the heads-down position during taxi. Besides that, I used DECS at Eagle and have been missing it for years. I like having the airport info, like jet-bridge codes, and the aircraft subsequent flight info handy. I think it was the best of the two systems. Imagine that, I had to switch to the other side's way of doing things and I'm not kicking or screaming or crying or anything.

How much other DECS access do you guys have? At Eagle we could pull all that up from any computer with internet access. In addition we could also view MX history, previous write-ups, inbound crew, WX, and damn near anything the hides in sabre. It was great to do before leaving the hotel so you could see what you were in for, or save the trip to the airport if the plane was late or totally broken. Can you guys do that?

It's more like 95%, we usually get the W/B during pushback or engine start.

Funny.....I would have thought the opposite. The only times that I have ever been delayed (2 times) waiting for weight and balance have been on US Airways. Never on America West (which I have flown more times than US), never on any other airline. Only US. And this was after the merger was announced that these W/B delays occurred, so it was obviously still this system that the new US is switching to. One delay was about 35 minutes waiting.....and it was a 6:05am departure out of PHX.....might have been busy in the East at that time.....but I was very surprised that at that time of day a delay like that could occur.

Funny.....I would have thought the opposite. The only times that I have ever been delayed (2 times) waiting for weight and balance have been on US Airways. Never on America West (which I have flown more times than US), never on any other airline. Only US. And this was after the merger was announced that these W/B delays occurred, so it was obviously still this system that the new US is switching to. One delay was about 35 minutes waiting.....and it was a 6:05am departure out of PHX.....might have been busy in the East at that time.....but I was very surprised that at that time of day a delay like that could occur.

I would ask the pilots on this board to reply. There arent many times that the w/b isnt given via ACARS very quickly. There are growing pains yes....but you didnt see the media saying we did a seamless job on tuesday

and flyin...they have total acces...not internet but total acces at work....we have trainoing to do what they have to do but no extras...it was that way in 98 and they figured alot out...

question for Boeing Boy...if you are out there...many west pilots were amazad at the delivery of the flight release to them and the final w/b numbers via ACARS. Would you say that in the time of CLP you had your numbers 90% of the time before being number 2 for the runway?
This is nothing that wasn't done prior to the days of CLP. I preferred to do the W&B at the station instead of making multiple phone calls to CLP so they could do what I used to be able to on my own.

I'm not sure I would call it a seamless transition. Although the W&B portion may have gone relatively smoothly, I get the impression that getting releases has been a major headache.

West O/T departure rate:

Wednesday - all mainline = 32%, PHX & LAS = 25%
Thursday - all mainline = 38%, PHX = 29%, LAS = 22%
Friday - all mainline = 44%, PHX = 39%, LAS = 36%

Here's an excerpt from a post on FlyerTalk describing what happened on one flight Wednesday:

We sat on the ground, at the gate, for a hour. Captain said that they were waiting for a FAX of the paperwork they required. 30 minutes later, a man came on board with the FAX. We closed up and were ready to push back. No push back. Captain came back on and said they were missing TWENTY pages of the FAX. So they opened back up and we waited for that.

Jim