Sad news regarding one of our own.

Coast Guard searching for missing snorkeler off Kaua'i

Advertiser Staff

The U.S. Coast Guard is continuing to search overnight for a missing snorkeler off Kaua'i's Napali Coast. The snorkeler, a U.S. Airways pilot, was last seen around 4:30 p.m. yesterday. He was scheduled to fly out last night at 11 p.m., but as of 2 a.m. today a Coast Guard helicopter was still searching for him.
A Coast Guard official said this morning that the snorkeler is wearing tan swim trunks and using blue snorkeling gear. He was last seen off the shores of Ke'e Beach by the captain of the air crew.

The Coast Guard was called into the search around 7 p.m. yesterday

Missing pilot is a first officer on the 757. He is married with a very young son. While we can all surmise the outlook is bleak, some prayers couldn't hurt. Since this is such a "public" forum I am not comfortable posting his name. I can tell you he's a great guy with a super personality and tons of fun to fly with. I'm at a loss for anything else to say.
sad-smiley-009.gif

That is awful! I've snorkeled that beach dozens of times and once you get past the sheltered part of the bay it can have a bad undertow.

Very sad.

Nearly drowned snorkling there, first it was clear light blue water and then you drift past the reef into navy water with huge fish. Scared me half to death, had to stand on the reef for about 20 minutes to gain composure. My prayers are with him and his family.

Employees can see who he is by checking USnews Now

He and his family are in our thoughts and prayers

Employees can see who he is by checking USnews Now
He and his family are in our thoughts and prayers
Thanks for the tip, I don't think I know him, but my prayers are with him and family.

I scuba in Hawaii all the time, and I find that each area can be deceiving, calm one day, dangerous the next. There is a big current that runs from outside the reef towards Ni'ihau into some rough seas, especially in the afternoon. There are about 11 miles of coast there that are not easily accessed except by foot before you hit Polihale beach.

Just recieved word from the bubble in Phoenix that he indeed did pass away. They found his body today. How extremely sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of our fallen pilot.

Just recieved word from the bubble in Phoenix that he indeed did pass away. They found his body today. How extremely sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of our fallen pilot.

Authorities identify pilot found dead in Kaua'i waters

Advertiser Staff

LIHU'E, Kaua'i—A U.S. Airways pilot missing after he went snorkeling off North Kaua'i Thursday night was found dead late this morning in the waters off Kalalau Beach.
He was identified as Theodore Teichgraber, 37, of Phoenix, Ariz.

He was last seen about 4:30 p.m. Thursday snorkeling off Ke'e Beach. A fire department and Coast Guard search lasted into the night and resumed this morning.

A tour boat spotted the body late this morning and reported it to the Coast Guard helicopter in the area. The Coast Guard crew recovered Teichgraber's body and took it to Lihu'e for transfer to Wilcox Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Teichgraber had been scheduled to be first officer on U.S. Airways flight 47 from Lihu'e to Phoenix Thursday night. That flight was canceled when Teichgraber failed to appear to fly it. The airline sent a replacement crew which was to fly the plane and its passengers as an extra flight, numbered US9037, today.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. May he rest in peace.

I've had my own brush with danger at Ke'e beach two years ago.

Ke'e beach is gorgeous as it is the last road accessible beach on Kauai's north shore with awesome views of the Napali Coast. However, Ke'e beach is dangerous. The beach is very rocky and shallow, then it dips off into sand. It is lagoon-like as there is a huge reef approximately 100 feet off shore that protects the beach from crashing waves. The problem is during tide changes or rough seas the currents are brutal. My daughter (age 11 at the time) and I got caught in a current that almost sucked us out to sea through a channel area between the reef. I taught her an important lesson that day; don't panick in the water. I kept her calm and we eventually made it back to the beach by swimming parallel to the shore. It scared the hell out of me. I can't imagine what this poor guy went through.

Eye

This puts it all into perspective.

My thoughts and my prayers are with his family, though i did not know the man, it's a life lost, when all he was doing was having fun on an overnight like we all do.

so sad.

I guess our life isnt' so bad after all.

FLYING WEST

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky
Where pilots can go when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management-type would ever be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke.

RIP Ted

oh man. i am so sorry to hear this. my sympathies to his family. and also to the crew that worked the trip with him and all our friends out in phx.

just got this from the union

First Officer Ted Teichgraeber

On behalf of the entire membership I would like to express our
deepest condolences to the family and friends of US Airways
First Officer Ted Teichgraeber. Ted was a great friend and
co-worker to many of our flight attendants and his generous
spirit and friendly smile will be missed by those who knew him.

Ted was snorkeling in Hawaii while on an layover Thursday when
he was reported missing. An Air and Sea Search was conducted
yesterday and today by the US Coast Guard and the local fire
department. Authorities report that his body was found Friday
morning.

One of our members writes this about Ted;

"I can't say enough good things about this man. How caring and
friendly he was! What a great father and husband... what a
wonderful co-worker with a great sense of humor. It is about 3
years exactly that we met Ted and we were forever bonded with
him. Always a hug in the jetway and a beer after work. He was a
very caring individual always looked out for my friends and I
like we were his little sisters. I always told him he looked
like Craig Kilborn. He will be forever missed and he will always
be somewhere over the rainbow.

Aloha Ted- we love you!"

Please keep Ted's wife, Jennifer, and son, Nicholas along with
the rest of his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Latest posts