Scared S--less when Flying

BootPilot

Sep 20, 2007
I was hoping someone on the board could give me some advice, I would really appreciate it. I have just begun my training and have been up with my instructor twice. I am excited to begin my training, however, I find my self a little terrified when I am flying. I think part of the problem is that I am overwhelmed by everything involved (I think this should lesson as I become more comfortable with the process of flying). The second part of the problem is that I am a very conservative person and generally do not take risks.

I really want to fly and hope that I become more comfortable in the cockpit. If anyone has had/is having a similar experience or simply has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I completely understand the way you feel. My first lesson felt completely overwhelming. My CFI made some comment about leveling out after the climb-out that went something like, "it gets to be second nature." Needless to say, I thought, "yeah right!" But with my PP training behind me now, I can honestly say it DOES become second nature. I can remember having to work at flying straight and level, which is now about as hard as remembering to stop at red lights.

I suppose I would offer this suggestion. No two students are the same, and your CFI (hopefully) knows that. If you're feeling overwhelmed during the early training flights, ask your CFI to takeover some things, hand over control of the radio, navigation, watching the fuel and engine instruments. Certainly these are critical parts of being a pilot, but the CFI can handle them for now, you'll pick them up as time goes on.

Don't rush yourself, take a few hours in the left seat to just get comfortable, then start doing maneuvers.

You can always turn to something like AOPA's Project Pilot and see if there's a mentor pilot close to you, perhaps riding along with them on a few flights will make you more comfortable.

I completely understand the way you feel. My first lesson felt completely overwhelming. My CFI made some comment about leveling out after the climb-out that went something like, "it gets to be second nature." Needless to say, I thought, "yeah right!" But with my PP training behind me now, I can honestly say it DOES become second nature. I can remember having to work at flying straight and level, which is now about as hard as remembering to stop at red lights.

I suppose I would offer this suggestion. No two students are the same, and your CFI (hopefully) knows that. If you're feeling overwhelmed during the early training flights, ask your CFI to takeover some things, hand over control of the radio, navigation, watching the fuel and engine instruments. Certainly these are critical parts of being a pilot, but the CFI can handle them for now, you'll pick them up as time goes on.

Don't rush yourself, take a few hours in the left seat to just get comfortable, then start doing maneuvers.

You can always turn to something like AOPA's Project Pilot and see if there's a mentor pilot close to you, perhaps riding along with them on a few flights will make you more comfortable.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

I hope it helped. If there's anything I can do to help you in your training, let me know...it's always good to have friends in flying :)

Latest posts

Back