16 year old, FBO/Ramp Job?

TrevorN47

Jun 18, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me find out if I can get a job at one of a few local airports nearby. I am hoping to get a job with the planes (small GA planes, a few twins, a couple small jets, and a few helicopters), maybe washing, fueling, moving, line crew, maybe schedule the rentals, or show new students around.

I am currently a student pilot and have experience with a lot of airplanes. I can solo three different planes at my main airport, and have flown 5 different type. I am safe to use the tow bar and such, and I know how to fuel the planes and ramp safety. I have been flying since I turned 15, and I will hopefully take a check ride in 5 months or so.

Because of my love of flying I would really like to work with these planes, and hopefully learn more about them and get experience with airport activity. I really want to continue to an ATP and hopefully an airline in the future, but I really want to spend as much time around these airports as possible for now. I usually help out around the one I take lessons from, and I like to help them out, but they cannot offer me a job. So I figured if I got there for lessons and another airport for a job, I will get a good mix of experience.

My final problem is that there does not seem to be anywhere I can find age limits or any sort of regulations for working near the planes on the ramp. I just figured that if they let me fly them alone, I should be able to work near them?

If anyone can help me with this that world be great, and I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

Trevor

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me find out if I can get a job at one of a few local airports nearby. I am hoping to get a job with the planes (small GA planes, a few twins, a couple small jets, and a few helicopters), maybe washing, fueling, moving, line crew, maybe schedule the rentals, or show new students around.

I am currently a student pilot and have experience with a lot of airplanes. I can solo three different planes at my main airport, and have flown 5 different type. I am safe to use the tow bar and such, and I know how to fuel the planes and ramp safety. I have been flying since I turned 15, and I will hopefully take a check ride in 5 months or so.

Because of my love of flying I would really like to work with these planes, and hopefully learn more about them and get experience with airport activity. I really want to continue to an ATP and hopefully an airline in the future, but I really want to spend as much time around these airports as possible for now. I usually help out around the one I take lessons from, and I like to help them out, but they cannot offer me a job. So I figured if I got there for lessons and another airport for a job, I will get a good mix of experience.

My final problem is that there does not seem to be anywhere I can find age limits or any sort of regulations for working near the planes on the ramp. I just figured that if they let me fly them alone, I should be able to work near them?

If anyone can help me with this that world be great, and I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

Trevor

Check with your State Dept of Labor. You will probably find what you need on their website.

Here is a link to a site that should get you there.

So you wanna be an airport bum and be paid for it? :p

Seriously, insurance for the FBO may be an issue as well. Seems like all the guys I see driving fuel trucks at FBOs that cater to business aircraft are over the age of 18, for instance. You'll probably have better luck at a small operation. Besides, jets are noisy and they smell funny. :lol:

So you wanna be an airport bum and be paid for it? :p

Seriously, insurance for the FBO may be an issue as well. Seems like all the guys I see driving fuel trucks at FBOs that cater to business aircraft are over the age of 18, for instance. You'll probably have better luck at a small operation. Besides, jets are noisy and they smell funny. :lol:

Your first line, I agree!

Yeah, the airport I am talking about is very small, it has a few twins and maybe 2 jets, but mostly small GA planes. I called in and they want me to come and fill out an application, they said my age should not really make a big issue since I am a student pilot and already am around planes a lot.

However I am still looking for that person who finds the elusive regulation that would prevent me from working there, I hope they don't!

Anyway, thanks for all these comments, and the government site is very hard to use... But I didn't fnd anything about airports, so that's good.

Assuming the airport is N47, I don't think you'll have any issues... Aviation is not on the list of prohibited occupations for minors.

Let us know how it goes.

N47 is the airport I rent from, I like it better, it's kind ma and pop airport, but I am looking for a job at KPTW, right next door.

Thanks