Security Question

firstamendment

Veteran
Apr 1, 2003
Visit site
Last week my folks and I used a ZED ticket between LAX and PHX. I work for US and our PHX flights were full, so we flew AWA. Our LAX flight was late, so our in CLT agent was kind enough to get our one way LAX-PHX ZED tickets on you guys. I was the good nonrev and called the number to list and I thought all was hunky dory. I had three tickets and was ready to go.

Well, when we got to LA, we hopped over to AWA who is in the same terminal and was curtly asked why I hadn't gotten my tickets at the AWA counter and he proceeded to print 3 boarding passes that signified a security check. He said we had to have security stamp our boarding pass before getting a ticket. I told him we already purchased out tix in CLT and just came off of a flight and asked why we had to go through security there. He said this was a new policy. So my aging parents and I went over to the very kind (BTW) security staff who wanded us and looked thru our bags. We got our passes stamped and were basically punished by the agent by standing there for ten minutes until he felt it necessary to issue boarding passes on a half empty 757 and with us not sitting together with lots of room to spare.

Questions.
IS this a new TSA policy? If I had zed tickets which signify it is an interline situation, why did the agent even need to print a boarding pass when I was already pass security, as oppose to printing seat assignments? Was the agent correct or do you guys think he was just being pi###?

It just made no since to have to go to security. My goodness, doesn't being a fellow airline employee count for anything? I just didn't like being made to feel I had done something wrong when I had done my homework.

If all this is the case, ZED fares, while cheap, are a pain where security is conserned. Overall, the flight was uneventful but I do feel the agent could had been less of a snippy queen ( I am gay so not being derogatory to my peeps) and more professional.

Anybody know what the policies are? I just want to know for the future. I saw nothing in out web site?

I believe the answer to the first question is yes and all other questions cannot be answered because of security concerns. I don't know if TSA will respond to the question, but my understanding of security briefings makes it clear to me that anything having to do with who becomes a selectee is restricted information.

I'm not even sure US Airways could provide you, their employee, an answer.

"This question cannot be answered because of security concerns" is a bunch of b.s. You either have no idea what the answer is, or you think you're hot #### for mentioning the magic word "security". Please spare us.

The agent could have very easily printed boarding passes from the gate desk, but chose to make AWA look like a bunch of fools. Next time, just buy a ticket on Southwest. LAX-PHX is a cheap route, and you won't have to deal with standby should the flight be full.

JS said:
"This question cannot be answered because of security concerns" is a bunch of b.s. You either have no idea what the answer is, or you think you're hot #### for mentioning the magic word "security". Please spare us.

The agent could have very easily printed boarding passes from the gate desk, but chose to make AWA look like a bunch of fools. Next time, just buy a ticket on Southwest. LAX-PHX is a cheap route, and you won't have to deal with standby should the flight be full.
[post="198409"][/post]​

THanks everyone, I just wanted to know because you guys are big out west and $19.99 was pretty cheap ($26 with tax). I wanted to take advantage of this great perk. If I know what I'm up against I can better prepare. That goes for ALL the airlines.

BTW, I liked the trivia videos...but after awhile I got bored...or just mad that I kept missing so many. B) :)

JS said:
[post="198409"][/post]​

Actually, it's not a bunch of b.s. -- it's actually the right answer. Say anything else to a plain-clothes inspector from the FAA, and you've just failed a security audit....

hp_fa said:
I believe the answer to the first question is yes and all other questions cannot be answered because of security concerns. I don't know if TSA will respond to the question, but my understanding of security briefings makes it clear to me that anything having to do with who becomes a selectee is restricted information.

I'm not even sure US Airways could provide you, their employee, an answer.
[post="198396"][/post]​

You are absolutey correct. A public forum is no place to discuss security matters, including how CAPPS works. Even if media outlets (USA Today is especially bad about this) sometimes publish information about CAPPS.

Dont call me Shirley said:
You are absolutey correct. A public forum is no place to discuss security matters, including how CAPPS works. Even if media outlets (USA Today is especially bad about this) sometimes publish information about CAPPS.
[post="202202"][/post]​

A public forum is absolutely the best the place to discuss matters of airport security. How else are we to find out what kind of asinine rules and boorish behavior to expect at the airport?

Airport security is really not that difficult, nor does it need to be a secret. Screen for guns and bombs and be done with it. Leave the confidentality to something useful like an ongoing criminal investigation or the whereabouts of a suspected double agent.

We (supposedly) live in a free and open society, and I'll be damned if I'm going to bend over for some simpleton airline employee who thinks he/she is better than me when it comes to something as useless as CAPPS.

Discuss it all you want, just don't expect anyone who actually knows anything to discuss it with you because of the nature of the information and the possible penalties that may accrue for having discussed it in public.

I guess I must be really bored - going through these old post! But, just let me jump in here and say that the issue of security has got to be as big a joke as the gov't actually knowing what it's doing about finding Osama!

The ZED tickets had nothing to do with it. You had already passed thru security on your previous conecting leg, there would be no reason to go back thru security unless you went outside securtiy after your first flight. If all connecting passengers had to go thru security again the lines would be totally crazy.

I don't know what a ZED ticket is, my compan y pays for all of mine.

I have had my company change my travel plans while enroute several times. I go to the other airline after landing at a hub and get a new bording pass, no questions asked. On several occasions I have had the SSSS printed on the ticket, and the agent could are less. Once it was an AW agent at MSP. And once I was asked how I got passed security, and they accepted my answer with out showing them my inbound bording pass.

I guess you just got a jerk