Sept FA Attrition

I agree. The reality whether new hire or recalled furloughee is that this month the available slots may be LGA, BOS, and DCA. Next month they may be DFW, ORD, and LAX. It's the way it has always worked.

When I was in new hire training in 2000, the people who graduated during my first 2 weeks of training got the usual new-hire bases--LGA, BOS, DCA, (and at that time) ORD. During the 3rd week of training DFW opened for new hires for the first time since something like 1989. For several months after that every graduating class got some people based in DFW. My class got DFW, LGA, ORD, and SFO. They did not go back to classes that had already graduated and offer them DFW or SFO slots.

This a company screw-up--as you said they should not have announced the base assignments until people were actually in training and the available slots were known.

When I came in May of 1972 I desperately wanted international, but my whole class went domestic and subsequent classes got what I had wanted. I agree that's the way it has always worked. If the latest recall was two separate recalls it should have been clear from the beginning.

I'm sure the company will handle future recalls with this in mind.

MK