Siegel Resigns

Let's talk morale. Cheers went up where I work. It spread like wild fire and everyone was smiles. Personally, it has helped my morale quite a bit. I look forward to dealing with a new person on board. Let's just hope they get rid of Glass and the rest next.

Oh, and for the record I am looking at this as a clean slate. I have some hope after such a long time - I feel like crying. Honestly - I do. It may sound pathetic but I kind of feel like this is a new beginning.

Good luck to all and I hope this means we are here to survive.

Forgive me if I am jumping the gun. I haven't read all the posts yet, but Bronner is a guy who likes to take risks (from what I understand). If that is the case, then he would rather see an investment succeed than fail. Bruce (I like that name too) may be the person to look at the big picture and fix the real problems - which, BTW, do not involve labor costs. The real problems are in non labor and running a well oiled machine. We have the means necessary to be competive and earn a profit; however, we have too many cheifs for indians and not enough indians to run the machine. Do we still have 32 VPs? If so, cut back. What about baggage in PHL? Will that be fixed? What about simplified fares? Will that happen? What about the huge FUBAR with IAM and outsourcing? Will that be fixed? There are bigger issues than labor costs. Personally, I have a proposal. Let me work from home like JetBlue. Why pay the overhead to lease a place? I save on gas and avoid traffic and company saves money as well.

I will be optimistic; however, I will not be blind sided. Trust is something earned not taken. First on the agenda should be getting rid of all Dave's cronies.

DELETED

I won't even bother quoting because you made too many stupid remarks to bother. Generally speaking, shove it where the sun don't shine you weezling little fool. My car and house are paid off and I know I can get more for my house than I paid for. Why? because the houses in my neighborhood that are structured the same are going for $20,000 than I paid for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And mine is in better condition. The way you approach people on this this forum does nothing but to imply that you, my friend, are ignorant of things that surround you. You obviously are the person in a public arena that will entice a riot just for the sake of doing so. What does that say about you? Your are barbaric and gesture because you think you have something to prove. In short, you are not confident and feel the need to personally attack everyone because you don't feel good about yourself. I feel sorry for you. Call me a greedy B*strd if you will - I call it survival. And if survival truly fits Darwin's theory I will out last you. Get the point?

Whats amazing here is that the few who think he was the problem will get a real dose of reality. If anything this was set to insure addtional givebacks. He is being used as an escape goat. The unions will have no choice but to give again with or without Dave. The end result has to be the same. Bronner is a buisness man and has no intention on running an airline. By appointing his buddy lakefield, it shows he has no intention of Usairways staying around long to run himself... Open up your wallets folks, the leader has changed, but the reality of our situation is still the same.

usfliboi, whether or not he was part of the problem, he sure wasn't part of the solution. To be part of a solution, you have to do more than yammer.

El Gato said:
Why? Because there never WAS a good cop/bad cop deal going on here. Siegel AND Bronner told you what was necessary to save the company. It was written out, shown to you on a videotape. But you chose not to see it.

Oh, and my car is paid off a long time ago, and I do not own a house, unlike you who is about to see your house value plummet for the ground. How about I give you a dollar for YOUR house, fifty cents for YOUR car?

Welcome to unemployment, jack*ss!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but even IF I was to lose ONE of my jobs, I would NOT be unemployed. One can only hope that someone of your communications skills (which you've proven are inadequate, since you continually have to resort to name calling, like a little child) is off of UAIR's payroll ASAP. Maybe getting rid of folks like you and fliboi would give UAIR a fighting chance. Siegel's departure only proves once more that he was HUGE liar, since he had just told the world in his hour-long lovefest that he was staying. It's either that or he just had NO rapport with Bronner and the BOD, in which case it was time to can him anyway. It's pretty obviuos to me that this has been in the works for at least a couple of months, when Mr. Lakefield showed up.

Best of luck to everyone at US. Especially the unions because now it is all on you and you don't have much time....

If Lakefield is such a trusted longtime friend of Bronner's then I must ask why didn't Dr.Alabama bring this guy in earlier??

Appears that he is an uninspiring bureaucrat rather than a Patton-type leader that you very desperately need right now.

Siegel will do fine again someplace in this business. What about you and why are you cheering??

whatkindoffreshhell said:
If Lakefield is such a trusted longtime friend of Bronner's then I must ask why didn't Dr.Alabama bring this guy in earlier??
Like when? You don't change leaders unless you have to. Once Siegel was in, he was pretty much in unless it was absolutely necessary to change. And, once it is clear that it is necessary to change, you have to do a bit of back-room working before you pull the trigger.

mweiss said:
Like when? You don't change leaders unless you have to. Once Siegel was in, he was pretty much in unless it was absolutely necessary to change. And, once it is clear that it is necessary to change, you have to do a bit of back-room working before you pull the trigger.
Nonsense. Literally on the eve of USAirways' greatest competitive threat, the PHL launch of WN, you have the captain go overboard. Absurd!

US has thrown in the towel. All that's left now for this new numbers guy is to oversee a orderly shutdown and sale of assets.

The fat lady -- she may not be singing yet, but she's humming......

From the...

AFA HOTLINE 12-04
April 19, 2004

CEO DAVE SIEGEL RESIGNS

It was announced at today's Board of Director's meeting that CEO Dave Siegel has resigned. Bruce Lakefield, current US Airways Board member and a longtime associate of Dr. David Bronner, Chairman of the US Airways Board of Directors, will replace him.

After today's announcement, Dr. Bronner held a conference call with the International Presidents of AFA, ALPA, IAM, and the CWA. The following is what has been reported by the CWA regarding that call:

"Dr. Bronner briefs union leaders on Siegel's quitting...

On a conference call this evening Dr. Bronner made the following four points to union leaders regarding Dave Siegel's quitting as CEO of US Airways:

1. Siegel's quitting doesn't change the need for restructuring the airline. "We'll do it by ourselves or with you."
2. The decision that Siegel would leave was made to keep the process of restructuring US Airways going.
3. Dr. Bronner has "complete confidence" in the rest of the US Airways management team.
4. "US Airways is a good franchise. Some think it's great, some think it's just OK. But it's not going to survive without change."

Dr. Bronner said the new CEO will be Bruce Lakefield, a person with an extensive financial background and a longtime associate of David Bronner.
There was no further discussion on the call."

The Board meeting will continue on Tuesday, April 20, 2004.

As soon as additional information becomes available, this Hotline will be updated.

abonny said:
As I see it, we only have one way to go after Siegel and that is UP!
Actually, there is one other direction: DOWN. As in down and out.

Sadly, I see the new CEO as a mere caretaker while the liquidation proceedings are taking place. He is, after all, a retired broker.

RETIRED. As in, "I'm done working."

And considering USAir's 1Q results ($197M loss) how long do you think the Alabama pensioners want to continue losing $2.2M a day?

it seems like that bronner said he had complete faith in seigel back in dec when alpa called for his resignation now i wonder if he had that right up until yesterday when seigel quit

Latest posts

Back