Significant Layoffs

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 9:29:47 PM Rhino wrote:

"Operating losses don't include one-time special charges usually."

Actually, they usually do. Check UAL's 3rd Q 2001, and some of DAL recent reports. When you take a depreciation hit, it is usually classified under "operating" losses. Keep in mind that the 3.2 number refers to what the "tax" books look like. Much diff depreciation rules for taxes vs annual reports.

"It's almost unbelievable how the UAL situation got so bad so fast. Hope things stabilize and that you're right about being able to meet DIP requirements."

Thanks
----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 11:13:10 PM Tango-Bravo wrote:

Busdrvr:

Finally, a point on which we agree! But why the revenue problem for the likes of UA, US and AA? Can't begin to recall all the times you've stated your case for the worlds-apart superiority of the product offered by the Big Six airlines compared to WN and B6.

Seems to me that pax should happily pay a hefty premium for all the perks and frills offered by UA et al. That, unfortunately, is where the real world gets in the way. Since it's a proven axiom that money talks, perhaps the lack of pax who are willing to pay more money to fly with "full-service" airlines is telling us a story quite different from yours about the product offered by the Big Six.
----------------
[/blockquote]

The business pax IS more than willing to pay a HUGE premium for a UAL experience...when he's using Daddy's credit card. UALs current revenue prob can be traced to two issues, #1 the continued low level of corporate funds avail for business travel and #2 an additional revenue hit associated with the economic security of the airline. Everyone is experiencing the pain of issue #1 and I honestly think, (after talking with buddies who travel extensively (or used to)) that there will be a modest rebound in high yield travel as corporate profits rebound. Issue two is our fault and a result of the bed we made for ourselves. To see emperical evidence, one only has to look at NWA. UAL has traditionally extracted a revenue premium over our pacific rivals. recently that has changed and a lot of the change can be associated with, I think, with a severe tactical blunder that really spun out of control around the end of the 2nd Q. The IAM driving the company to a PEB and the threatened strike (somehow employees with open contracts at CAL, SWA, AMR, and NWA all seemed to have the maturity to either negotiate open contracts without some stupid expectation of being the best paid in the industry or at least delaying new contracts til the companies finances could stabilize) followed by repeated public "chicken little" pronouncements coupled with a complete lack of long term strategy scared away some of the best paying customers. There will likely be some neysayers who will undoubtedly say the revenue drop-off was the result of poor service, but the evidence shows that the revenue was falling off at the same time that UAL's operational statistics were going through the roof. Nov's traffic reports will show UAL as the #1 on-time airline for 3 out of 4 months. Unbelievable when you consider that prior to this run, UAL was NEVER #1. To turn the ship around UAL MUST restore confidence. To do this there needs to be a public sense of cooperatioon between the company and the unions. Unfortunately, the good folks at 141 and 141M don't seem to grasp the concept that EVERY customer they scare away to the competition results in a lower pool of money with which they can expect their paycheck to be cut from.

The customers that 141 and 141m scare away?
Not to mention all the ones alpa screwed over.
That is the pot calling the kettle black.Of course
the pilots had the maturity not to stab the company
in the back and cost us maybe hundreds of millions
of dollars.This company had its jugular cut by ALPA
management,and osama bin laden.Where was all your
concept grasping and customer concern during contract
2000?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 8:27:35 AM wts54 wrote:

The customers that 141 and 141m scare away?
Not to mention all the ones alpa screwed over.
That is the pot calling the kettle black.
----------------
[/blockquote]

There you go with the locker room banter. Tell you what, lets agree that we both have some culpability. I'll agree to take a 29% paycut to stabilize the company. In the process, I'll also do everything in my power to keep UAL at the top of the performance charts (after all, I helped put us there). WWYD? will you even take HALF the paycut? Looks like the pot got a paintjob, whats the kettle gonna do? as for the revenue drop-off, instead of pontificating about FPTTLD and practicing "breakroom BK law for those with GED's", why don't you actually pull up the annual and quarterly reports and come to some conclusion based on actual numbers and facts that you can defend without having to resort some tired third-grade cliche'

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 8:07:06 AM Busdrvr wrote:

[blockquote]

----------------

On 12/31/2002 11:13:10 PM Tango-Bravo wrote:

Busdrvr:

Finally, a point on which we agree! But why the revenue problem for the likes of UA, US and AA? Can't begin to recall all the times you've stated your case for the worlds-apart superiority of the product offered by the Big Six airlines compared to WN and B6.

Seems to me that pax should happily pay a hefty premium for all the perks and frills offered by UA et al. That, unfortunately, is where the real world gets in the way. Since it's a proven axiom that money talks, perhaps the lack of pax who are willing to pay more money to fly with "full-service" airlines is telling us a story quite different from yours about the product offered by the Big Six.

----------------

[/blockquote]

The business pax IS more than willing to pay a HUGE premium for a UAL experience...when he's using Daddy's credit card. UALs current revenue prob can be traced to two issues, #1 the continued low level of corporate funds avail for business travel and #2 an additional revenue hit associated with the economic security of the airline. Everyone is experiencing the pain of issue #1 and I honestly think, (after talking with buddies who travel extensively (or used to)) that there will be a modest rebound in high yield travel as corporate profits rebound. Issue two is our fault and a result of the bed we made for ourselves. To see emperical evidence, one only has to look at NWA. UAL has traditionally extracted a revenue premium over our pacific rivals. recently that has changed and a lot of the change can be associated with, I think, with a severe tactical blunder that really spun out of control around the end of the 2nd Q. The IAM driving the company to a PEB and the threatened strike (somehow employees with open contracts at CAL, SWA, AMR, and NWA all seemed to have the maturity to either negotiate open contracts without some stupid expectation of being the best paid in the industry or at least delaying new contracts til the companies finances could stabilize) followed by repeated public "chicken little" pronouncements coupled with a complete lack of long term strategy scared away some of the best paying customers. There will likely be some neysayers who will undoubtedly say the revenue drop-off was the result of poor service, but the evidence shows that the revenue was falling off at the same time that UAL's operational statistics were going through the roof. Nov's traffic reports will show UAL as the #1 on-time airline for 3 out of 4 months. Unbelievable when you consider that prior to this run, UAL was NEVER #1. To turn the ship around UAL MUST restore confidence. To do this there needs to be a public sense of cooperatioon between the company and the unions. Unfortunately, the good folks at 141 and 141M don't seem to grasp the concept that EVERY customer they scare away to the competition results in a lower pool of money with which they can expect their paycheck to be cut from.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Hmmm... First you tell us IT'S A REVENUE PROBLEM, now it's a labor cost problem. Now there are two things on which we agree because it is, indeed, IMO both of these issues that brought UA to its present unfortunate state with a future that is anything but certain.

The revenue problem developed out of the unconscionable and absolutely unsustainable gouging of business travelers who were sure to revolt, and have done so - since before 9/11/01 - in a way that has had devastating consequences on your fine airline along with others. At the same time, yield management was allowed to condition leisure travelers (business travelers were quick to figure out how to beat the majors at their own game) into paying below-cost fares on their demented assumption that business travelers could be counted on to go along with being fleeced to make up the difference.

Labor, understandably, noticed what was happening and expected and demanded, and pulled some shenanigans of its own (ala Summer 2000) to get its "fair share" of a revenue base that was certain to be nothing more than a bubble that would burst when the grossly falsified, overstated earnings of "the new economy" were exposed. The distortion of the reality of what people - including business travelers - are willing to pay for air travel was sure to come to a halt, which began to happen in late 2000 - early 2001.

Management went along (under duress, I must acknowledge) with unprecedented payscales based on unrealistic and absolutely unsustainable fare levels. It was a house of cards that was sure to collapse - I saw it coming even in 1999; it happened even sooner that I guessed it would.

"Hmmm... First you tell us IT'S A REVENUE PROBLEM, now it's a labor cost problem. Now there are two things on which we agree because it is, indeed, IMO both of these issues that brought UA to its present unfortunate state with a future that is anything but certain."

It's a revenue problem that unfortunately must be fixed by some degree of labor pain

"The revenue problem developed out of the unconscionable and absolutely unsustainable gouging of business travelers who were sure to revolt, and have done so - since before 9/11/01 - in a way that has had devastating consequences on your fine airline along with others."

Gouging? Just a little perspective. We fly you at nearly the speed of sound, safely, with a meal and a movie, across the country or even between continents. even at our highest rates you consider it "gouging"?

"At the same time, yield management was allowed to condition leisure travelers (business travelers were quick to figure out how to beat the majors at their own game) into paying below-cost fares on their demented assumption that business travelers could be counted on to go along with being fleeced to make up the difference."

Although there is some validity to your argument, I don't think you fully understand the association between marginal cost and marginal revenue. On some routes, there is simply NOT enough leisure service (highly elastic demand) to justify air service. The cost of the service is much greater than you are willing to pay to see grandma. meanwhile, there is demand from the business travelor (highly inelastic), and any addition revenue that is greater than marginal costs benefits the business trav by prov better service (frequency, larger equipment, ect) and possibly even a lower price. By demanding leisure rates, the business travelor will likely lose service to those locations.

"Management went along (under duress, I must acknowledge) with unprecedented payscales based on unrealistic and absolutely unsustainable fare levels."

"Unprecedented" pay scales? Please give me an example, and be VERY specific. FYI, UAL's pilot payscales LAGGED the rise in the wages the rest of the civilian workforce enjoyed from from 1994-2002. as a matter of fact, even military and government wage increases outpaced UAL's pilot raises. At the same time, pilots became increasingly more productive over the same time period. The true culprit in the phantom rise (I say "phantom" because ticket prices are lower today than 10 years ago when there wasn't a "tech bubble") in Ticket prices has been TAXES.

There you go with the locker room banter. Tell you what, lets agree that we both have some culpability. I'll agree to take a 29% paycut to stabilize the company. In the process, I'll also do everything in my power to keep UAL at the top of the performance charts (after all, I helped put us there). WWYD? will you even take HALF the paycut? Looks like the pot got a paintjob, whats the kettle gonna do? as for the revenue drop-off, instead of pontificating about FPTTLD and practicing "breakroom BK law for those with GED's", why don't you actually pull up the annual and quarterly reports and come to some conclusion based on actual numbers and facts that you can defend without having to resort some tired third-grade cliche'

I dont know which is worse your continued ad hominem attacks on the iam or
my third grade cliches.First of all whatever the IAM did to get a contract
pales in comparison to your antics in the summer of 2000.
As far as a paycut and some workrule changes go I have no problem helping
out in a reasonable way,but I have no interest in giving ual a seven year contract with all the things they want on the current proposal.Even the ALPA MEC said in their latest statement that the current proposals for ALPA
go to far.Do you want to give UAL everything it wants when it wants?What is
the contract we have good for?If UAL is going to bargain with all of us
then lets get on with it.Are you really a union pilot or someone in management disguising themselves as a union brother.What happens when and if UAL starts making a good profit and you have no snapback,or your locked
in for seven more years?Do you think UAL will remember any sacrifices we make based on their previous behavior?No they wont you can bet on it.Profit
sharing or some other scheme with unrealistic targets wont work,and
I think people at least in my group dont want anymore stock.I personally
believe better pay instead of the two items previously mentioned are worth
more.I dont want to kill UAL,and I dont think anybody really does.
As far as reading the quarterly reports we were losing money while you were
getting your contract 2k isnt that right?When was our last profitable quarter?I'll bet it was before the summer of 2k wasnt it?
So no problem here helping out UAL but we are not giving them the right
to throw out all our agreements we waited and worked for.Reasonable help,yes I'm okay with that.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 10:55:58 AM gatemech wrote:

They have been threatening for a year. People still say we were the reason that the ATSB turned us down.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Those "people" are morons. The 141M turndown of the TA was absolutely NOT the reason, HOWEVER, I think it did cost us a little political clout and gave the neysayers some political cover. wait and see, when the HOR does it's little "investigation" some political forces opposed to us will attempt to use the rejection as cover ("it's a moot point since those silly unions wouldn't except even the most limited levels of concessions")

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 10:18:28 AM wts54 wrote:

"First of all whatever the IAM did to get a contract
pales in comparison to your antics in the summer of 2000."

Like I said, why don't we both admit culpability and move on. I'll take a temp 29% paycut, why do you still insist you can't take half of that?

"As far as a paycut and some workrule changes go I have no problem helping
out in a reasonable way,but I have no interest in giving ual a seven year contract with all the things they want on the current proposal."

THE CURRENT PROPOSAL IS A CASH ONLY DEAL FOR ONLY ABOUT 6 MONTHS! IS THAT SHORT ENOUGH FOR YOU? Would you perfer daily contracts? The "deal" is intended to meet the DIP requirements in the short term to give YOU more time to come to a "long term" agreement. Do you think negotiating during the slowest revenue months of the year with a DIP gun to your head is better than comming to an agreement in March? YGTBSM!

"Even the ALPA MEC said in their latest statement that the current proposals for ALPA go to far.Do you want to give UAL everything it wants when it wants?"

No, but the judge WILL. I'm literally buying a little time for our bargaining position to strengthen.

"What is the contract we have good for?"

LIQUIDATION

"If UAL is going to bargain with all of us then lets get on with it."

AGAIN, where have you been for the last year?

"Are you really a union pilot or someone in management disguising themselves as a union brother."

My union doesn't require me to check my brain at the door.

"What happens when and if UAL starts making a good profit and you have no snapback,or your locked in for seven more years?"

More than likely, yes.

"Do you think UAL will remember any sacrifices we make based on their previous behavior?"

Dutta, Studdert and Goodwin will likely try to screw us again, wait, remind me where they work now? UAL is NOT a living animal. The "company" DOES NOT have a "personality". The policies in the future will be made by the leaders in the future. Do you think SWA will give out Profit sharing check in the future? yes? Why? Because it has proven to be a recipe for success? Is our new CEO that absolutely stupid that he'd want to risk another disasterous labor situation in 7 years that would cost the company billions and himself millions in lost stock options, by not "sharing the wealth"?

"Profit sharing or some other scheme with unrealistic targets wont work,and
I think people at least in my group dont want anymore stock."

I agree the "profit sharing" must be based on realistic numbers, unfortunately, Sen Corzine (D-NJ)hurt our cause by putting onerous "profit" requirements in the ATSB bill, and we will undoubtedly tap the ATSB for exit financing. as for Stock options, ask the average SWA mechanic how much actual SWA stock he owns. Unless he is holding it for his OWN long term investment goals, the number will be small. Stock options don't give you shares of stock. the way they work is the company sells new shares "for" you on the open market when you tell them to, and you get the diff between the sell price and your "strike" price.

"I personally believe better pay instead of the two items previously mentioned are worth more."

Who in his right mind doesn't? Of course higher pay is better! You don't ahve to deal with your income fluctuating, and you don't have to stake your income on the decisions of senior management (or do you?!). But the simple fact is UAL doesn't have enough money in the old checking account to pay the higher rate. You can either agree to take a lower rate WITH some means of possibly getting a return for your sacrifice, or WITHOUT

"Reasonable help,yes I'm okay with that."

Be specific then, how much are you willing to agree to give up for the next six months while the situation stabilizes, so that your union can then negotiate a long term deal, without the DIP gun to your head, that you guys feel is fair enough and adequate enough to balance your interest between a comfortable income and long term viability (read fully funded retirement and benfits) of the company?

----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
Busdrvr wrote:

Where have YOU been. They've been "asking" you for over a year.
[blockquote]

----------------
busdrvr,

They have been threatening for a year. People still say we were the reason that the ATSB turned us down. They saw through the UAL management. What they gave us now is a take it or leave it offer. The wage percentage is not what bothers me. The medical is more important to me. As you get older you need the medical coverage. Taking away our 2 floating holidays is not going to help the company. The 5 weeks max on vacation might help. Changing the time for the 5th week is ridiculous. Come on 20 years? Most company’s these days only offer up to 5 weeks. I can live with that if I have to. They are going after the mechanics with a vengeance not a real plan to help the company.

They have not been asking for the last year. They are telling us. Tilton say one thing about repairing relations. Next day A manager or foreman will do something just the opposite. Tilton is just too busy to deal with those issues. The lower management knows that.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 12:24:49 PM N230UA wrote:

"United pilots have been receiving hefty premiums for two years now. You do the math. I cannot believe it took more than 1 whole year, or *nearly 3 billion dollars of losses* since Sept. 11 for *ANY* set of concessions."

Actually, the other work groups were put "on hold" while the open contracts were sorted out. ALPA proposed a pay cut before summer of 2002

"And please don't claim credit for performance on the part of the pilots only... everyone helps out on that. It's not a little "extra" you should be doing for the company... it should always be standard practice."

Did I claim all the credit for pilots? I said I've been helping it happen. I've also said in previous post that the performance of GND personel has helped the OT rate big time. If I speed to work to make a shorter callout, or I run to the gate to get a short notice reroute off the ground, then I'm prob going beyond the call. when you are #1 despite flying into some of the busiest most delay plagued airports in the world, then I think you can say you (meaning the WHOLE TEAM) prob went beyond the call to make it happen.

----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 11:51:59 AM flythewing wrote:

Where exactly did UAL777 go? We seem to have new 'analysts' posting here now. How many real users are in the number base?

----------------
[/blockquote]

UAL777 probably imploded after the bankruptcy filing. His concession pom-poms were getting pretty frayed right before that.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 8:07:06 AM Busdrvr wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Good post.

But don't forget, UAL's profits completely stopped after the Summer from Hell. UAL never recovered from that. It became bigger loss after bigger loss...

And the part I don't get?

If, supposedly, even Dubinsky "knew C2K was too much and put too much strain on the company"... why didn't he do the responsible thing and ask to renegotiate for lower rates? I don't believe for one minute Dubinsky felt that, as reported.

Where exactly did UAL777 go? We seem to have new 'analysts' posting here now. How many real users are in the number base?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/1/2003 1:11:21 PM ual747mech wrote:

I hope I'm wrong but I think ALPA, AFA, and the other two unions have already seen the books and knows that it is necessary. The IAM is challenging it because they say the'y haven't been provided with all of the financial information needed to evaluate United's business plan, particularly as it relates to the IAM members.
----------------
[/blockquote]

The IAM is telling the truth. They HAVEN'T been given adequate information about the future business plan to come to an agreement with the company with respect to the long term direction the IAM should take contractually. The company came to the unions and said "we plan to take you for all you're worth" "Our financial situation is DIRE, and we think the judge will side with us since we MUST meet certain financial hurdles to keep DIP financing in the short term" "And guess what, WE DON'T YET HAVE A LONG TERM PLAN". they then came back to the unions (I think on the 23rd) and said, "we realize time is short and information is scarce, but if you will agree to tak X% paycuts for a few months, we will meet the DIP covenents and hopefully formulate a viable business plan that we all can agree upon and a resonable level of sacrifice form the unions". THIS IS NOT THE FINAL PLAN! The company WANTS DEEPER cuts. The only way we limit the damage is by stabilizing the situation.

Latest posts