Singapore Code Share

Crzipilot

Veteran
Mar 23, 2004
US Airways to announce pact with Singapore Air
US Airways is ready to enter into a code-sharing alliance with Singapore Airlines, US Airways President Scott Kirby announced today at the airline's media day in Tempe. The deal will allow the airlines to sell seats on each other's flights. Reciprocal frequent-flier benefits also typically are included in such agreements.

I thought that's what the Star Alliance was all about.

Where do our routes intersect with Singapore that would be of any significance? Our presence in LAX and SFO is minimal; what could we do for them that UAL doesn't already give them with the Star Alliance?

Dunno, another article stated that customers will be able to connect with singapores nonstop from LAX...

Dunno, another article stated that customers will be able to connect with singapores nonstop from LAX...
I can see it now, they'll be getting off a 230 seat A340-500 and be getting on a US A321 that seats 220. They'll be wondering where the other two engines are.

Where do our routes intersect with Singapore that would be of any significance? Our presence in LAX and SFO is minimal; what could we do for them that UAL doesn't already give them with the Star Alliance?

How about inflight service that could run rings around anything United has to offer across the Pacific? And I think your LAX and SFO presence has increased somewhat since AWA bailed you guys out,no?

Yeah, don't forget US west guys, we DO have a presense in L.A. All together we now serve 6 destinations non-stop out of LAX.

It is, except from a marketing standpoint.

With *A, US can sell single-ticket connections to SIA but it will show SIA flight numbers for the appropriate segments.

With the codeshare, US can sell single-ticket connections to SIA that will show only US flight numbers (SIA segments will be "operated by SIA").

So in GDS', US will be shown as having flights where-ever the codeshare applies (and SIA will be shown as having U.S. domestic service where the codeshare applies).

Jim

Yeah, don't forget US west guys, we DO have a presense in L.A. All together we now serve 6 destinations non-stop out of LAX.
I forgot West has a major presense in LAX. I think it would make sense to partner with someone that either US go into their Hub or they go into one of US Hubs. LAX for alot of folks will require double connections. Gonna be on a plane that long, who wants to deal with double or triple connections?

I forgot West has a major presense in LAX. I think it would make sense to partner with someone that either US go into their Hub or they go into one of US Hubs. LAX for alot of folks will require double connections. Gonna be on a plane that long, who wants to deal with double or triple connections?

UA has a much larger presence at LAX. I'm really surprised that SQ picked US for a codeshare agreement, vs. UA. I wonder what's in it for them? My suspicion is that US approached SQ, and not the other way around.

UA has a much larger presence at LAX. I'm really surprised that SQ picked US for a codeshare agreement, vs. UA. I wonder what's in it for them? My suspicion is that US approached SQ, and not the other way around.
Once US customers fly SQ, do you think they'll ever fly a US flight International?

Where do all of you get the idea that 6 destinations is a major presence?

Before the merger, US had 3 destinations. Now with AW added in, we have 6. Big Whoop!

We share the terminal with SW. How many do they have? THEIRS is a major presence in LAX.

US's presence is token, at best, compared to many of the other carriers serving LAX.

Where do all of you get the idea that 6 destinations is a major presence?

Before the merger, US had 3 destinations. Now with AW added in, we have 6. Big Whoop!

We share the terminal with SW. How many do they have? THEIRS is a major presence in LAX.

US's presence is token, at best, compared to many of the other carriers serving LAX.
Must be those 12 Flights a day to PHX, 9 HP, 2 Mesa, 1 US East. 12 flights to LAS 10 HP 2 Mesa, 4 US PHL, 1 US PIT, and 4 US CLT. That's 33 flights a day and 24 go to the dessert, that's 72.7%.

But we don't count the amount of flights, we count the amount of cities, which leaves us with only 5 cities served from LAX. 5 Cities is a far cry from a major pressense. WN,DL, UA, AA have a major pressense. With DL being the small one but its more than US has. Maybe WN should have entered the codeshare with SQ.

If US wants to codeshare with someone, either US has to fly into their Hub, or They would have to fly into one of US' hubs. That is the only way effective this would be. Also JFK was mentioned, but with RJ service to CLT or M/L to LAS/PHX, that's not beneficial to no one.

This must be a way to say, "Look DOT, we do serve Asia". If that's what they must do, that's some big fish that they are trying to tease into catching.

"The deal will allow the airlines to sell seats on each other's flights."

I don't think so!!!
I'm sure SQ will be able to sell seats on any US Airways' city pair, whether LAX/SFO - PIT or LAX/SFO to ELP.
However, thanks to our currently incapable, tedious and two-tin-cans-and-a-string computer system, we can't sell many seats in the other direction on SQ!! If you're lucky, perhaps LAX/SFO to SQ's hub SIN but not much beyond. Same is true for just about any other global city pair, Star Alliance or not!
Hmmm...US incabable of booking seats on our alliance partner's flights. Not only does this tie our hands when we're trying to assist our customers but might this also violate the terms of our Star Alliance membership?

Here is why:

SQ owns 51% of VS.

VS is frustrated with obtaining approval for VS-America based in SFO.

Eventually you all will work for the Singaporeans and if Doug (or any of y'all for that matter) are in Singapore on business and you get stopped for DUI then your punishment will be a caning.