Small Plane crash

[----------------
On 1/12/2003 11:47:54 AM GSPflyer wrote:

Now here's my question: What the heck is US flying to RDU and AVL? Neither is a US hub, and many biz passengers will simply DRIVE to both. AVL in particular has NO connecting opportunities. If I were running the show here's what US ops at GSP would look like:
2 Round Trips to PHL(2 RJ)
1 Round Trip to LGA(1 737)
2 Round Trips to DCA(2 Prop)
2 Round Trips to PIT(2 RJ)
5 Round Trips to CLT(5 737)
Total: 12 Round Trips (6 737,2 Prop, 4 RJ)

----------------
How about customer convienience huh? Naw lets force all the people who want to go to LGA take that flight or 12 legs to get to LGA otherwise.
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------

Personally, I think US's problems with filling mainliners is due in part b/c they ran too much Express service to almost everywhere from here. Currently US Airways Express flies:
3 Round Trips to Philadelphia (2 RJ,1 Prop)
3 Round Trips to Washington National (3 Prop)
2 Round Trips to Pittsburgh (2 RJ)
3 Round Trips to New York/LaGuardia (3 RJ)
6 Round Trips to Charlotte (2 RJ, 4 Prop)
2 Round Trips to Raleigh/Durham (2 Prop)
1 Round Trip to Asheville, NC (1 Prop)
Total:20 Round Trips (9 RJ,11 Prop)

Now here's my question: What the heck is US flying to RDU and AVL? Neither is a US hub, and many biz passengers will simply DRIVE to both. AVL in particular has NO connecting opportunities.

(snip)
[/blockquote]

GSPflyer, LGA is a big O&D destination. People pay top dollar to take the non-stop (I'll change planes, thank you).

The AVL-GSP-RDU route exists because there isn't much traffic AVL-RDU and GSP-RDU. There is an AVL-RDU non-stop, but the extra one-stopper through GSP adds another choice of flight time between RDU and AVL.

AVL or GSP to RDU is quite a long way to drive for a day trip:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T65932F03

[blockquote]
----------------

Now here's my question: What the heck is US flying to RDU and AVL? Neither is a US hub, and many biz passengers will simply DRIVE to both. AVL in particular has NO connecting opportunities.
----------------
[/blockquote]

US Airways doesn't tell Air Midwest to fly this route... Air Midwest does this on their own to make their own money. If Air Midwest wants to shut that route down, I'm sure Airways would not object since these 'hopper' flights do not provide connection revenue on any Airways flights.

A couple of things:
1. I messed up on the schedule thing PHL-and LGA are reversed. PHL really only needs a 737 connecting to the evening Int'l flights. Morning Northeastern destinations can go via PIT and CLT.
2. When I flew GSP-CLT loads were 70-90 people, it was perfectly sized for a F-100. The PHL flight was always packed.
3.GSP is NOT a low yield city. Plane tickets are outrageously priced and are just as expensive as CLT, if not more so. Even if US had only 30-45 passengers on a 733 it's probably making money on it. I guess US decided that the biz passengers(about 65-70% of GSP's traffic) will continue to fly us anyway-so let's yank service and save a few bucks. The mainline service cuts when coupled with 5841's crash will probably signifigantly hurt US's high yield biz traffic here.
4. If we have to be an Express city, can't we at least get a daily CRJ/ERJ to BOS nonstop?
5.Any low fare carrier that comes will make buckets of money(see ATA's success in CLT).

Latest posts