Somebody is gaming the post voting

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
While I'm not a big proponent of the post rating system here, when I notice certain posts being voted up/down, I sometimes look to see what the user's rating is just for fun...

A while back, I'd noticed that WT's rating was in the -200's, and BoeingBoy Jim's was in the 3000's.

After not checking for a couple weeks, on Monday, WT's rating was suddenly up to -50. Today it is +8.

Odd.

There hasn't been much discussion on the DL forum, and he doesn't have too many posts here with positive ratings.

My guess is someone's been taking voting lessons from the Mayor of Chicago, and voting on older posts where nobody will notice the gaming.

Reactions: 8 people
Sniffle Sniffle
Who cares what someone else's opinion and/or rating is for each of us?

I could careless, in fact I will place a negative on myself right after this post loads. Does that make you not want to read it? Does the higher rating improve your intelligence?

Reactions: 3 people
While I'm not a big proponent of the post rating system here, when I notice certain posts being voted up/down, I sometimes look to see what the user's rating is just for fun...

A while back, I'd noticed that WT's rating was in the -200's, and BoeingBoy Jim's was in the 3000's.

After not checking for a couple weeks, on Monday, WT's rating was suddenly up to -50. Today it is +8.

Odd.

There hasn't been much discussion on the DL forum, and he doesn't have too many posts here with positive ratings.

My guess is someone's been taking voting lessons from the Mayor of Chicago, and voting on older posts where nobody will notice the gaming.
Slow day there at the office huh E?

Reactions: 2 people
No, Kevin, we can keep it rather short and simple.
While AA walks into court to terminate its labor contracts in what perhaps is the largest and most symbolic action of all that is broken about the legacy airline model in the United States, we have a relatively few mental and emotional midgets who are incapable of even grasping the issues facing the industry, understanding what works and doesn’t work, and walking away from and transforming those broken models into ones that work.
Yet, somewhere between 13,000 and 15,000 American Airlines employees will be laid off this year while the remainder plus retirees will have their salary and benefits dramatically altered – yet said midgets are more interested in checking on other people’s popularity scores and clicking other people’s red buttons in some twisted attempt to bolster their own self-worth.
Meanwhile, we have crew members and passengers going nuts onboard commercial aircraft, fuel prices are soaring, and inadequate computers are being deployed to provide IT “solutions” while the executives that made those decisions are getting bonuses and the frontline employees are being told to do even more with less.
And then there is the government that wants to throw even more tax on the industry, almost certainly sending even more jobs off of American shores while touting the manufacturing jobs that are only coming back to the US because the US dollar has sunk to such lows that it no longer makes sense to manufacture goods for the American market half a world away.
“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
- Calvin and Hobbs

Reactions: 4 people
Mental midgets? More like mental widgets. ;)

I've spent just over $5000 for the year, and that's not including my Admirals Club renewal which is due next month.

Tim, when's the last time you bought a ticket on AA. Not a D3 from family member, but an actual revenue ticket....

Gotta agree with you on the sub-par IT systems, though. They don't buy enough from us, and I'm hoping that will change shortly.

I've spent just over $5000 for the year, and that's not including my Admirals Club renewal which is due next month.

When's the last time you bought a ticket on AA.
This month - less than 3 weeks ago. Great service on the ground and in the air, BTW.
so, are you saying you can pull AA out of its tailspin all by yourself? If so, go for it... but it seems like the issue is a far bigger structural problem - of which playing with little green and red buttons on a website does nothing to solve.

Meanwhile the midgets who can't contribute anything constructive to the conversation keep playing with red and green buttons in a fleeting attempt to boost their shattered self-esteems.
---
came in under 30 words but probably still too long for some minds here to process.

Meanwhile the midgets who can't contribute anything constructive to the conversation keep playing with red and green buttons in a fleeting attempt to boost their shattered self-esteems.
---
came in under 30 words but probably still too long for some minds here to process.
Are you making fun of midgets? I really hope you do not work for American Airlines. This kind of behavior would get you fired.

Reactions: 1 person
Let’s be real honest that there is a whole lot of stuff that is said on these forums that would get one fired from ANY employer if they were said to a coworker. Somehow part of the attraction of the internet is being able to say things that would never be said in person - and that is the obvious danger.
Obviously there are many people on this forum who are very intelligent and have a pretty grasp of their lives… but we all have our vulnerabilities and unfortunately they become glaringly obvious on a place like an online forum where people say things they would never say to anyone face to face.
My comments are targeted much more at BEHAVIOR than PEOPLE. I had no particular person in mind when I wrote what I wrote.
But let’s be very clear that there is a competitiveness and intention to wound and maim people on this forum that is truly breathtaking.
People who play by the sword shouldn’t be surprised when they are wounded by the sword – even the sword which they attempt to use to wound others. Far too many people in life are happy to sling guns around but are surprised when a bullet or two comes in their direction.
It would be far better and more enjoyable if people here could be comfortable contributing their own thoughts and quit playing games of one-ups-manship with others.
People who use the post voting system as a tool of measuring their competitiveness with others or as a means to win at someone else’s expense represent the worst, not the best of what this board is or can be. It is not realistic to engage in inappropriate behavior and not expect to be called out on it.
It is to people who practice that type of behavior that my message was addressed. And that is a pretty small minority of the participants of this forum.

Reactions: 2 people