Something to THINK about.....PTO !

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I ask myself, if you(PTO) are the WHOLE problem with regard to the replacement workers ??

The answer I arrive at, is NO !
(A large VOCAL "part", ...YES) !

Now I ask you;
How in GODS name can the present number of (alleged) mechanics, do the same(GOOD) job that a much larger AMT force DID ? (My)Answer;.....IMPOSSIBLE !!!

Next question;

Is'nt it a fair assumtion that NWA's "overall" A/C Maintainence is rapidly DECLINING ?? (My)Answer...YES !!

PTO,Sooner or Later(NEVER I HOPE), they're will be an "incident"

How are you going to feel "IF" YOUR name is the last one, in the log book ??

ME, I cannot even Fathom such a scenario !!!!!

SO,

Why would you subject yourself, and(ultimately) your family to such a "possible" situation ????
TELL ME, "HOW" Could you. ???

Perhaps you think that "all" you did was thumb your nose at AMFA, WHEN in reality, you played right into the (despicable) hands of the likes of Dougie Stealin', and Neil COH..EN("F.Y.S".)

THINK ABOUT IT.

NH/BB's

Now I ask you;
How in GODS name can the present number of (alleged) mechanics, do the same(GOOD) job that a much larger AMT force DID ? (My)Answer;.....IMPOSSIBLE !!!
Impossible? Not at all. I like to think of it as earning my paycheck. After all NWA did hire me to service their aircraft. My, nor the other Scabs here, work ethics is limited to a union contract. I enjoy working aircraft and thrive on the pressure of getting a broke aircraft maintenance ready on schedule for pushback. I service between eight and sixteen aircraft a day compared to the union members one to three. We work very closely with management and Control. Anything I request is delivered to me on demand. Once I am on an aircraft I do not have to leave it until I make the call "Maintenance Ready." (I am saying "I" but that goes for every AMT on the line.) So the answer to your question is (1) A restructured system. (2) Cohesion between management/labor (3) Employee attitude. (4) No union contract to restrict company use of manpower.
Next question;
Is'nt it a fair assumtion that NWA's "overall" A/C Maintainence is rapidly DECLINING ?? (My)Answer...YES !!
No it is not. The maintenance being performed is as good if not better than it has ever been. We are saving NWA millions just in parts because there is more troubleshooting going on than ever before rather than shot gunning parts at a problem. I would also like to note that we are flying 25% less aircraft with only 15% reduction in flights. That 15% is probably less now as we are seeing more and more flights coming in. This translates into these aircraft spending mare and more time in the air. Hence less ground time.
PTO,Sooner or Later(NEVER I HOPE), they're will be an "incident"
How are you going to feel "IF" YOUR name is the last one, in the log book ??
Well that all depends NH/BB, If the last logbook entry is me pulling another pillow case out of a LAV and the accident is a result of an engine detaching from a wing because a forklift operator abandoned his equipment because of a shift change, I will not carry any guilt on my shoulders at all.
I fully understand my responsibilities as an A&P Mechanic and take them very seriously. I work line NH/BB, I cannot predict an engine shelling out nor can I predict an anti-skid valve fritzing out, nor do I carry an x-ray machine around with me to make sure there are no cracks in the vertical stabilizer fittings. There are simply things that are out of my control. I do the best that I can or anyone else for that matter to ensure that any aircraft is an airworthy aircraft.
Now if I were to change an engine component that fails because I did something wrong that results in an engine shut down and the pilots skills aren't up to par to bring the aircraft in safely and it cracks up on the runway, well I am going to feel like a worthless piece of shet and carry that on my shoulders fo the rest of my life. I am confident enough in my abilities as a mechanic that I do not have to worry about such an event.
Why would you subject yourself, and(ultimately) your family to such a "possible" situation ????
TELL ME, "HOW" Could you. ???
I am not sure I follow you here, are you a mechanic? If so then you take the exact same risk I do. Why do you take the risk of turning wrenches on a piece of machinery that if you screw up bad enough on will result in the deaths of hundreds of people?
Perhaps you think that "all" you did was thumb your nose at AMFA, WHEN in reality, you played right into the (despicable) hands of the likes of Dougie Stealin', and Neil COH..EN("F.Y.S".)
Actually I was in favor of AMFA simply because they were the underdogs. Then somehow I became the underdog. Every one loves it when the underdog comes out on top against all Odds. ;)

I hope that there are not any members of the AMFA that would wish any tragedy on a fellow American just to gloat at what they feel in their OWN mind is inferior mechanics.

Sometimes reading posts, some people hang onto the same old statement.... Wait till something tragic happens. WHY???

If I lost my job because I chose to walk, I would not wish any ill doing on any passenger. You never know when that particular passenger may be a friend or friend of a family member.

I also would not make fun of any individual who chose to go to work so that they can provide for his or her own family. 30 dollars an hour (or whatever it was) may be chump change and a slap in the face to existing members, but looks to be a gold mine for others. Expecially those who are in desperate need for health insurance.

I hope that there are not any members of the AMFA that would wish any tragedy on a fellow American just to gloat at what they feel in their OWN mind is inferior mechanics.

Sometimes reading posts, some people hang onto the same old statement.... Wait till something tragic happens. WHY???

If I lost my job because I chose to walk, I would not wish any ill doing on any passenger. You never know when that particular passenger may be a friend or friend of a family member.

I also would not make fun of any individual who chose to go to work so that they can provide for his or her own family. 30 dollars an hour (or whatever it was) may be chump change and a slap in the face to existing members, but looks to be a gold mine for others. Expecially those who are in desperate need for health insurance.

Well put... I whole heartedly agree....
SALUTE............

As I would never wish a lawn-dart situation on anyone.... Union/scab/or Passanger.....As that type of situation saddens me greatly.....

You'd be surprised at just how far back the NTSB goes during an investigation after an aircraft becomes a "lawn-dart"..... After the Flt-800 B747 went down off the coast of Nova Scotia (in '96 I think).... I had friends that worked the B747 line at the Boeing Everett plant that came under the NTSB microscope... because they were the ones that had done the install of the suspect fuel pump several years earlier (and untold cycles later).... Infact they were put on paid leave untill they were cleared by the NTSB.

So it doesn't end at the name of the last AMT in the logbook..... they go all the way back to the AMT's that actually BUILT the aircraft.......

How do I know you ask? I was working at the Boeing Everett plant (on the B777 line) when the investigation happened....

For those that don't know.... lol
I am an ex-Boeing AMT.... Started in '89 on the B-2 program working wingline.... also on both the B737 (both classic and next-gen) line and the B777 line. Both B737 and B777(first 500 B777's)My areas were systems.. ie. avionics-flight deck/functional test/pre-flight-delivery/and line maintainance-ramp.

What alot of people here are forgeting in all this "airline-AMT vs. 3rd party maint.AMT" retoric, is that the LARGEST group of heavy jet Aircraft Mechanics belongs to NEITHER group..... That's right if you add all the airline AMT's (somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6k at UAL/AA/DAL/US-HP/etc) PLUS the 3rd party mech's...... I'm thinking you would STILL come up well below the 125,000+ at Boeing plus those at Lockeed and the smaller mfg's.........I refer to Boeing mechanics as AMT's.. because a large number of those mechanics at Boeing (and other mfg's)
actually do have their A&P's

For those that love to hate the IAM???? (and I count myself amongst them..lol) If all the IAM members at ALL the airlines were to vote out the IAM???? It would NEVER come even close to breaking the IAM....... As that same 125,000 Aircraft mech's plus unknown numbers of facilities workers at Boeing are ALL IAM members... As IAM Dist. Lodge #751 is the Iam's largest sronghold...... Run by one of the most two-faced leaders the IAM has.... one Mark Blondin.
Do you ever wonder why it became the IAM-UAW???? LMAO.. It is because when Boeing bought Douglas...... Douglas mech's were all UAW...and the IAM didn't have the "cods" to go up against the UAW for those members...lol

Just a few thoughts from "my" perspective.....

Favorite Blondin quote: “We don't leave people behind in the Machinists union,â€￾

Sure you don't.... :rolleyes:

It'd sure be nice if that mentality was applicable on the commercial carrier side of the house....I wonder how the folks at UAL, US, and NW feel about the above statement?

Favorite Blondin quote: “We don't leave people behind in the Machinists union,â€￾

Sure you don't.... :rolleyes:

It'd sure be nice if that mentality was applicable on the commercial carrier side of the house....I wonder how the folks at UAL, US, and NW feel about the above statement?
They would feel the same way we do.....bent over and violated :shock:

Lets check back and see if you still make this statement if and when NWA comes out of BK :p
I became the underdog. Every one loves it when the underdog comes out on top against all Odds.

This statement has nothing to do with whether or not Northwest makes it out of bankruptcy. It was related to the fact that no one thought that the Scabs would be able to pull this off. It was doomsday for sure for the Scabs. Northwest was supposed to be crying for their "Union Mechanics" to come back within two weeks. I am not going to elaborate on that though because we all know the rest of the story.

but at a huge cost to the airline--strike threats, planes cancel--hint 4 in one day comes to my mind--major incidents in which the FAA is or has investigated and in at least case is different than the NWA investigation to this day my fellow agents wont rebook passengers on a NWA plane at my city due to lack of respect for the NWA mgmt and the unfair treatment that they caused to the AMFA folks

This statement has nothing to do with whether or not Northwest makes it out of bankruptcy. It was related to the fact that no one thought that the Scabs would be able to pull this off. It was doomsday for sure for the Scabs. Northwest was supposed to be crying for their "Union Mechanics" to come back within two weeks. I am not going to elaborate on that though because we all know the rest of the story.

Well just between you and me and the rest of the board, I say NWA will approach AMFA prior to exiting bankruptcy(if the pilot/FAs don't end it first) in an attempt to end the strike. From the individuals in AMFA I'm still in contact with, the general concensus is that any resolution would have to remove all the SCABS both replacement and AMFA crosser alike. Maybe they get it maybe they don't, but NWA will approach AMFA again to end the strike.

Robbed, here is something for you to think about...Why do you twist what I say into something I didn't say? I never said four flights were cancelled. I said we grounded four aircraft. Just because an aircraft is grounded doesn't mean the flight is cancelled. I was simply complementing the gate agents and control on a job well done with the plane changes and large number of gate changes that followed.

Do you really think that if AMFA had been here the outcome would have been different? I don't think it would have mattered who was here. As a matter of fact the reason one of the aircraft was grounded was because a repair on the engine inlet was breaking apart and being ingested into the engine. The repair had been done here at DTW months before we even got here. That means AMFA made the repair to begin with. No matter who was working that aircraft that day they would have grounded it also. The same decision would have been made to ground the aircraft. First we are stupid ignorant scabs because we are pencil-whipping log books and sending off unsafe aircraft. Now we are stupid ignorant scabs because we ground unsafe aircraft. We just can't get it right with you guys can we?

Just because an aircraft is grounded doesn't mean the flight is cancelled.

That's right. NW doesn't cancel flights anymore, they just run them anywhere from 1 hour to 2 days late....

PTO, you haven't been around long enough to notice this, but prior to the strike, NW used to post the ontime percentages everyday in Newswire. They even broke it down by domestic, T-PAC, T-ATL, NRT's operation, and the freighters. Now they only post the completion factor. Why do you suppose that is?