Soul Searching

Well my friend this is what I was told were the numbers by a former PHL Station Manager when they were recruiting for the Ramp and CSR. With the economy being what it is, the percentages might be different.

Truth is you can make more at Wendys then being a new hire agent, What's the start $8.72/hr?? Wendy's in MI pay $9.00/hr and if you work hard you can make $35K as an assistant Mgr after about 3 years.

Well, you don't know squat. I helped out a department in my company today with applicants, went through 150 apps for a low level secretary job, people with master's degrees and tons of high level experience all going for a low paying job. And I have jobs that pay $9 an hour, out in a rural area doing hard work, and I get tons and tons of apps.

Truth is, if you work at Wendy's you can't fly to Hawaii for the weekend. Even when the economy was booming, it wasn't hard to fill those jobs. Maybe in PHL it was, because it was a crappy airline that was going T.U. But, it was never a problem at AWA. All jobs, from Aircraft Appearance to Pilot..

Stick with what you know...because you don't know how airlines operate until you work for one..everything else is just your endless ADHD pontificating and blabbering. :rolleyes:

Well, you don't know squat. I helped out a department in my company today with applicants, went through 150 apps for a low level secretary job, people with master's degrees and tons of high level experience all going for a low paying job. And I have jobs that pay $9 an hour, out in a rural area doing hard work, and I get tons and tons of apps.

Truth is, if you work at Wendy's you can't fly to Hawaii for the weekend. Even when the economy was booming, it wasn't hard to fill those jobs. Maybe in PHL it was, because it was a crappy airline that was going T.U. But, it was never a problem at AWA. All jobs, from Aircraft Appearance to Pilot..

Stick with what you know...because you don't know how airlines operate until you work for one..everything else is just your endless ADHD pontificating and blabbering. :rolleyes:

This was post merger and nobody was going T.U. around the tome of the res migration.

You can't non-rev anyplace worth going now on most airlines either.

When I got out of High School I had a trade to go into, but I remember those who didn't and the plum places to work in 1972 were Beth Steel, Mack Truck or score a job with the airlines. It's not that way now, Beth Steel is gone, Mack is a shell of what it was employment wise and airlines are no longer the "Dream" I'm set for life job they used to be.

Now we live in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Barackistan and things are different. We have record corporate profits and no hiring because of the uncertainty regarding NobamaCare, taxes, debt etc etc. Secondly why should a corporation repatriate its overseas profit only to have it taxed at a much higher rate,. These are the reasons you get MBA's working for $9/hr. The current POTUS couldn't organize a one car funeral and the citizens pay.

When this economy turns around (In Jan 2013 if the Empty Suit loses) companies like US are going to have a much harder time filling positions due to the overall reputation of the company

The 18 Worst Companies In America

#5 US Airways

Satisfaction rating: 62/100

Common complaints:

below average staff, air crafts, reservations, check-in experience, and deals, according to JD Power

censured by the Department of Transportation for poor communication regarding delays

Article

If US Airways was so selective how did a total moron like Freedom get hired?

Not to mention the Soull Searching troll.

This was post merger and nobody was going T.U. around the tome of the res migration.

You can't non-rev anyplace worth going now on most airlines either.

When I got out of High School I had a trade to go into, but I remember those who didn't and the plum places to work in 1972 were Beth Steel, Mack Truck or score a job with the airlines. It's not that way now, Beth Steel is gone, Mack is a shell of what it was employment wise and airlines are no longer the "Dream" I'm set for life job they used to be.

Now we live in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Barackistan and things are different. We have record corporate profits and no hiring because of the uncertainty regarding NobamaCare, taxes, debt etc etc. Secondly why should a corporation repatriate its overseas profit only to have it taxed at a much higher rate,. These are the reasons you get MBA's working for $9/hr. The current POTUS couldn't organize a one car funeral and the citizens pay.

When this economy turns around (In Jan 2013 if the Empty Suit loses) companies like US are going to have a much harder time filling positions due to the overall reputation of the company

Article

And, your post had nothing to do with anything. Talk politics on another thread. Just more endless prattle, you love to hear yourself talk...zzzzz

And, your post had nothing to do with anything. Talk politics on another thread. Just more endless prattle, you love to hear yourself talk...zzzzz

When you own the board you can dictate to me what I say. Now then have a lovely evening. It had to do with everything, you just didn't like it. To bad, so sad.

When you own the board you can dictate to me what I say. Now then have a lovely evening. It had to do with everything, you just didn't like it. To bad, so sad.

Not trying to dictate, don't want to own the board just telling it as I see it. You are a dreadful bore and a cheap shot artist with an obsessive/compulsive complex towards US. And you make a terrible martyr. :lol:

Not trying to dictate, don't want to own the board just telling it as I see it. You are a dreadful bore and a cheap shot artist with an obsessive/compulsive complex towards US. And you make a terrible martyr. :lol:

Oh I think I'll be fine without your approval. If I'm such a dreadful bore I guess it's something I'll just have to live with. I was on the US Boards when you got here and I'll be here when you're gone. Unless of course the unions shut the place down.

OK, sport. or should I call you "slick"?

That is not what your drunk said.

He stated that AAA would have remained in bankruptcy but your highly touted Mesa Grande would have been out of business in 30 days. Not that I should believe anything a drunk says.

As far as "delay", I don't have to do a thing, it just happens all around me. If my push delays a westie flight (or two - loved it), well, sorry. Hey, I try to practice a go-around about once every two weeks. It is good to keep up.

Slick is just fine. I would really appreciate it if you would stop making derogatory remarks about the person that runs this company. It is unprofessional & childish.

I went to the wings site to see if I could pull up older crew news. I managed to look through many of them, but was unable to find the specific one where you claim Mr. Parker stated AWA would have been out of business in 30 days.

You sir are a LIAR, and an emotional one at that. I did watch the video when it came out. Mr. Parker stated (paraphrasing) that US Air would most assuredly have gone out of business. He did opine that AWA might have returned to bankruptcy as some point (kind of tough to go out of business in 30 days when you are MAKING $$, GROWING, HIRING and THRIVING in a post 9/11 economy). If you look back at the Nicolau transcripts Mr. Mann stated that AWA was indeed doing quite well economically, and he is an EXPERT in airline economics.

Regarding your final juvenile comments, you really should be a little more careful about what you type on boards such as these. Such things can come back and bite you in the backside.

This debacle that USAPA & its supporters have created will be the subject of commercial aviation folly for YEARS to come. Delay for the sake of delay is not a plan (much like Hoping for Change).

The person who runs this company is a convicted drunk. That he has questionable judgement is a fact. Is that derogatory or OK since it is public knowledge?

All for a handful of jobs, but we could offer pilots a quicker path to Captain, because, unlike US, we made money and expanded.

This is the FIRST time since AWA's inception where the pilots are not the lowest paid compared to the industry even including the commuters.... So I wouldn't go around pounding my chest over how you "made money and expanded". AWA's profitability was only by not paying their employees, and the only substantive expansion you speak of out WEST is the WEST flying 30% of former EAST routings.

So please step away from the Kool-Aid Fountain.......Obviously the desert SUN, and a steady diet of propaganda, and FOX news is somehow making you sound more foolish than usual.

Also you forgot to blame the unions.

Of that 5,000, due to the type of people who are attracted to low wage work, 40% will fail the background check, another 40% will fail to complete training or fail to show for the first day of work, leaving the remaining 20% who are to stupid to realize that they can make more flipping burgers than as an agent, res center worker or ramper. Keep in mind that the folks who I'm talking about are the ones US actually hired out of that pool of 5,000.

If you're talking pilots then it's different. Simple fact is there are to many pilots and to few seats. This singular fact is why it's so hard to gain anything wage wise. Over the next 10 years due to demographics this will change. The demographics is one of the reasons for the war raging between pilot groups at US

Uhm....I was talking PILOTS. The simple FACTS are there really aren't TOO MANY PILOTS (VS. TO, TWO or TU). Since the economic downturn in 07-09, the numbers of people willing to shell out the $60-$80K it takes to complete ALL necessary licenses and accrue flight time to be competitive has reduced to a trickle. Further, the age 65 retirements start in Dec. 2012. I think the demographics are changing on an epic scale as we chit chat back and forth. If you recall, ALL of the regional carriers were hiring 300 hour pilots to fill the seats in 2007. US Airways was running ads seeking pilots as late as November 2008 (I kept a copy for my personal archives).

I understand that the US Airways pilot application window remains open at this time. We are interviewing for new positions for CLT, PHL & DCA. I think it will be only a short time before we need to hire in PHX.

I had a conversation with a Designated Examiner (this is a person that gives applicants a "check ride" for a given license like Commercial Single Engine Land) in SW Missouri last year. He told me that in a 6 month time frame he had only administered a handful of Private Pilot ratings. Further, it is a fact that many professional flight schools have closed down, and those that remain open are struggling as well (my flight school sends out communications seeking new students).

American Eagle was looking for 600-650 pilots. The word is they threw out a carrot that anyone employed at Eagle by the end of September would automatically have an AA number. Airlines overseas are also competing for US aviators.

Things are going to get very interesting in this industry in pretty short order.

The person who runs this company is a convicted drunk. That he has questionable judgement is a fact. Is that derogatory or OK since it is public knowledge?

No, you have all beat your little message into us DAILY. We know. We read the papers. It is derogatory and childish to REPEATEDLY do this in a public forum of the person that actually is your boss & employer.

What he has done / not done is in the past (4 years now). Have you any legal battles in your past that you would like to have us bring up here? Any transgressions that while in the past and paid for, you would like for us to REMIND you about continually?

Tell me, is it part of your DNA to PERPETUALLY live in the past:

1. Doug said you would have gone into bankruptcy...
2. We were the highest paid....
3. AWA employed drug runners and scabs.....
4. It's ALPA's fault....
5. It's ALPA's fault (still)..
6. It's ALPA's fault (again)......

Keep living in the past 3dtv, it will gain you NOTHING. USAPA has brought you nothing buy delay, and soon pain (if they do not alter their course). The company has prepared a convincing argument for the courts (you REALLY should take the time to read it vs. getting Mike & Randy's take on it).

USAPA = Dividing pilot groups since May 2008!

I would really appreciate it if you would stop making derogatory remarks about the person that runs this company. It is unprofessional & childish.

You seem to have problems with literacy. That seems to be a feature of many vocal folks from the west and your memory has a slight bias, that is for sure.

Mr. Parker most assuredly is not in charge of the "running" of US. He is in charge of "overseeing" the management team (team tempe) that does "run" this company. Note the degree(s) of separation?

He does have a talent for prevarication and figuratively, the shuffling of his shoes. In addition to that, his "answers to questions" are beauties of ambiguity, meaning whatever the careless listener wants to hear. and boy, are there lots of careless listeners. Other than that I consider his actions, and thereby I judge his character, as a joke.

While I will defer judgement initially for most anyone, even you ;-) a person must earn my respect. Mr. Parker, aside from losing almost half a billion of unrestricted cash in 2007 on a stupid bet, engaged in a(nother) DUI (imagine if he had killed a child) and missed a great opportunity to get the east and west employees to work together, instead actively working to keep them separate for personal gain. These are activities one might normally associate with trailer trash, thugs and drug lords, none of whom I can realistically "respect".

If you wish to liberally "respect" that kind of person, fine, it doesn't really matter to me. Sing his praises all you want. You do like the man, don't you?

Uhm....I was talking PILOTS. The simple FACTS are there really aren't TOO MANY PILOTS (VS. TO, TWO or TU). Since the economic downturn in 07-09, the numbers of people willing to shell out the $60-$80K it takes to complete ALL necessary licenses and accrue flight time to be competitive has reduced to a trickle. Further, the age 65 retirements start in Dec. 2012. I think the demographics are changing on an epic scale as we chit chat back and forth. If you recall, ALL of the regional carriers were hiring 300 hour pilots to fill the seats in 2007. US Airways was running ads seeking pilots as late as November 2008 (I kept a copy for my personal archives).

I understand that the US Airways pilot application window remains open at this time. We are interviewing for new positions for CLT, PHL & DCA. I think it will be only a short time before we need to hire in PHX.

I had a conversation with a Designated Examiner (this is a person that gives applicants a "check ride" for a given license like Commercial Single Engine Land) in SW Missouri last year. He told me that in a 6 month time frame he had only administered a handful of Private Pilot ratings. Further, it is a fact that many professional flight schools have closed down, and those that remain open are struggling as well (my flight school sends out communications seeking new students).

American Eagle was looking for 600-650 pilots. The word is they threw out a carrot that anyone employed at Eagle by the end of September would automatically have an AA number. Airlines overseas are also competing for US aviators.

Things are going to get very interesting in this industry in pretty short order.

WOW! A lot can change in a few short years. Time was and it wasn't that long ago the the Mesa Moron, Johnny O was crowing about having a line out the door of applicants to fly for his putrid little airline. I guess I need to reduce the number of years to zero for the demographic shift. Thanks for setting me straight.

Unless the company is willing to pay for the "future" pilot services........they will go elsewhere or avoid the profession all together. Already seems to be happening as the pilot pipeline withers up due to low wages (and no foreseeable return on the training investment). That's why bean counters can't run airlines. Airlines are now considering UAVs as an option. Yeah that's going to work (for free).

It's a simple lesson the airlines should have learned years ago instead of continuing the fare wars and trying to maintain market share - eventually you have to pay to play (or in this case fly). When the fresh out of college marketing wizard that came up with $19 dollar fares to LAS realizes it doesn't pay the bills or cover expenses, and also realizes the employees are tired of making up the shortfall.....then there will be progress.

UAVs? Yeah - It is going to get interesting. LCC will probably be the launch customer.

Latest posts

Back