South America Scenario?

DCAflyer

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
With conjecture beginning to develop that UAL might dump its South America operations, could there be a transaction in the works whereby U would take over those routes as we enter the Star Alliance? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a scenario?

UA currently serves 6 cities in South America: Buenos Aires (2 flights), Caracas (may have been dropped), Montevideo (via EZE), Rio (1 flight), Sao Paulo (4-6 flights), and Santiago (may have been dropped).[BR][BR]My concern is not the revenue of the venture, but the physical feasibility of doing it. PHL-EZE has to be about 5300 miles. I'm not sure if US's craft have the range to do the trip.[BR][BR]If UA dropped Brazil service, I'll bet that Varig picks it up.

lots of political unrest and financial instability down south. makes it a natural fit for U

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 1:24:47 PM chipmunn wrote:

US Airways growing Caribbean operation and North - South Route Network provide a natural extension of East Coast Latin and South American traffic from/to the U.S.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Well, when the company developed the new "Transformation" music, they did create a "Latino" version.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 9:12:56 AM diogenes wrote:

lots of political unrest and financial instability down south. makes it a natural fit for U
----------------
[/blockquote]
You are too funny!! Best laugh I've had all day..If we can't laugh we are surely doomed. Thanks.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 9:27:29 AM ITRADE wrote:

UA currently serves 6 cities in South America: Buenos Aires (2 flights), Caracas (may have been dropped), Montevideo (via EZE), Rio (1 flight), Sao Paulo (4-6 flights), and Santiago (may have been dropped).

My concern is not the revenue of the venture, but the physical feasibility of doing it. PHL-EZE has to be about 5300 miles. I'm not sure if US's craft have the range to do the trip.

If UA dropped Brazil service, I'll bet that Varig picks it up.
----------------
[/blockquote]

UA, to South America, flies MIA-GRU, MIA-GIG, MIA-EZE-MVD, ORD-GRU, IAD-GRU, and IAD-EZE. MIA-SCL and MIA-CCS were suspended last week. MIA-GRU and MIA-GIG will merge in March, at least for the summer period (though I think they will seperate again by 2004). In addition, they codeshare with Varig on JFK-GRU, JFK-GIG, LAX-GRU-GIG, MIA-GRU, MIA-GIG, MIA-SSA, and MIA-MAO-BEL. As for US to LatAm? I highly doubt it.

DCAFlyer asked: With conjecture beginning to develop that UAL might dump its South America operations, could there be a transaction in the works whereby U would take over those routes as we enter the Star Alliance?

Chip answers: Yes. US Airways growing Caribbean operation and North - South Route Network provide a natural extension of East Coast Latin and South American traffic from/to the U.S. I sat in the old Ambassador program with senior management personnel who spoke of this opportunity.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 1:19:32 PM noname wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 9:12:56 AM diogenes wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]
You are too funny!! Best laugh I've had all day..If we can't laugh we are surely doomed. Thanks.
----------------
[/blockquote]
------------------------------------------------------------

de nada, mi amigo

Chip answers: Yes. US Airways growing Caribbean operation and North - South Route Network provide a natural extension of East Coast Latin and South American traffic from/to the U.S. I sat in the old Ambassador program with senior management personnel who spoke of this opportunity.[BR][BR]DCAflier responds: That was my thinking as well, Chip. It makes sense to me to create a SA and Carribean gateway at either CLT or IAD rather than PHL for two reasons. First, why put all our international eggs in the PHL basket, especially given its congestion and delay issues. Second, CLT and IAD are geographically favorable to PHL. IAD would be advantageous in terms of UAL feed from redeye flights coming east. I can't think of any advantages to serving SA through PHL.