Southeast to begin serving SWF

----------------
On 8/30/2002 9:06:30 AM

I believe they would do just fine if they flew from SWF-RDU-FLL. A couple problems with what they are proposing.
1) 56 seat DC-9s (Old Legend plane) for the SWF-RDU route is going to have to get a high yield, and in this down economy it will be very tough.
2) The SWF-EWR-FLL route makes very little sense, who will fly for 15 minutes in order to only take off again? The added costs will be hard to make up in extra passengers carried.

I think that if they flew RDU to SWF, BDL, and BOS to the north and then RDU to FLL, TPA and MCO in the south that they can make it a success. As long as they use the regularly configured DC-9s, maintain FL type costs, and fare structure RDU and the rest of these cities can support this service.
----------------

Are you out of your mind? Doesn't Midway shutting down, not once but TWICE, make you realize that this wouldn't work. If it was going to work then Midway would have made it work - they couldn't and probably nobody else can either. Especially since AA has nonstops to all of those places. Regardless of whether it's on Eagle or not, there are enough AAdvantage members that wouldn't consider switching for $$$.

I forgot one very important thing..JI's failure was as a direct result of having Ferguson and his cronies at the helm.

The ones who got screwed were the employees, shareholders, and the local community. Yes, in that order.

The problem with JI was that their cost structure was out of whack. They expanded way too quick in an economic downturn and misjudged their customer base.

All of the routes I mentioned were actually profitable for JI only 18 months ago. If they were profitable for JI with their cost structure an airline like SouthEast should be able to make a go of it. I know that FL would be making money on these routes right now if they flew them. Why? Well they have the right sized aircraft and price structure for this mkt. (RDU)

RDUSWF:

You have some valid points about JI's demise. But, if I had a small airline with a few airplanes to place TODAY, I wouldn't try to put them in between AMR and LUV's airplanes and operations! And don't forget, 18 months ago (maybe longer) AA pulled their FF agreement and started going after JI. So part of me thinks that AA was planning to regain some share that they gave to JI when they closed the RDU hub in the first place.

Meanwhile, I think a low-fare operation out of a SWF could draw pax from along the Hudson and even Northern NJ (assuming the airplane doesn't stop at EWR along the way). SWF could become the ISP for upstaters. Now its just a matter of waiting for LUV to come in, or see if someone else beats them to it.

The FLL-EWR-SWF flight only operates from 9/12 to 11/12. Eff. 11/14, they will operate FLL-EWR and FLL-SWF non-stops 1x daily x2,3.