Southwest Cities

----------------
On 5/5/2003 7:39:49 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

If you''re coming to the airport from the Great White North, ----------------​

...which, interestingly, is the only crossing along the entire border in which you travel in a generally northerly direction to go from Canada to the US (OK, NNW if you want to be technical).
Off-topic, but a trivia fact you can amaze people with...

----------------

Another interesting item about DET, maybe the SW pilots could answer this. Isn''t there a cemetary at the end of one of the runways? Didn''t this make some interesting take-offs and landings?
----------------​

Not a pilot, but IIRC you are correct. Believe it is a historic Polish-American cemetary, as (again, IIRC) one of the neighborhoods adjacent to DET was once known as "Poletown".

----------------
On 5/5/2003 12:35:01 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

I''m a little curious as to why SW doesn''t serve more destinations from DTW. For example DTW-BWI. Or, more interestingly, why is there no DTW-CLE service on SW? ----------------​

To me, DTW-LAS nonstop service is the most obvious Detroit omission. Not even a Sat. only flight like certain other cities that now have a daily nonstop started out with (OKC is currently the only one with just a Sat. only nonstop).

----------------
On 5/5/2003 6:14:32 PM N905AW wrote:

Hopefully with America West's closure of their Columbus hub operations, CMH will move up a few spaces on the list. The opportunity definitely exists for Southwest to add service, especially to Baltimore.
----------------​
Southwest already serves the CMH-BWI route with two daily nonstop round trips. IIRC, this service has been in place for at least a year.

----------------
On 5/5/2003 11:23:10 PM mga707 wrote:

----------------

Another interesting item about DET, maybe the SW pilots could answer this. Isn''t there a cemetary at the end of one of the runways? Didn''t this make some interesting take-offs and landings?
----------------​
Not a pilot, but IIRC you are correct. Believe it is a historic Polish-American cemetary, as (again, IIRC) one of the neighborhoods adjacent to DET was once known as "Poletown".
----------------​

Hamtramck,
that''s the name of the Polish neighbourhood in Detroit. Off topic, but just like mga707 said above, a piece of trivia to impress people with

----------------
On 5/6/2003 11:01:40 AM Cosmo wrote:

----------------

Hopefully with America West''s closure of their Columbus hub operations, CMH will move up a few spaces on the list. The opportunity definitely exists for Southwest to add service, especially to Baltimore.
----------------​
Southwest already serves the CMH-BWI route with two daily nonstop round trips. IIRC, this service has been in place for at least a year.

----------------​

My mistake, I meant that Southwest should add service on the CMH-BWI route. Southwest has been operating the route for about a year or two now, twice daily. I think they could at least add a 3rd daily flight between the two cities.

Nonstop service to New Orleans would definitely be great. While MSY is on the Columbus Regional Airport Authority''s list of targeted markets, it doesn''t rank very high on the O&D scale compared to other cities from CMH. According to the airport, an average of 57 people travel between Columbus and New Orleans per day. Southwest will probably remain content serving the CMH-MSY market through BNA.

Using flights to determine the importance of cities within the SW network is not the correct indicator. The reason is that most flights to cities in the middle of the country are pass thru flights (i.e., flights that come in partially full). Cities at the edge of the country (PVD, MHT, ISP, ALB, BDL) all have flights that start or terminate in the city.

To illustrate the point, look at the passenger numbers between Birmingham (BHM) and Manchester (MHT) for December, 2002. BHM had 27 daily SW flights, MHT had "just" 19 flights (20th flight added in Feb, 2003). In December/ 2002, BHM carried 88,745 passengers in that month, however MHT had 100,207, although it had 8 fewer SW flights.

So passengers carried or available seats would be a better measure to rank SW cities instead of number of flights.

I''m wondering if MSY will see increased service. CO recently moved to Concourse D and Southwest took all their gates.
Southwest now has all of Concourse B by itself, according to the map on the airport''s website.

LoneStarMike.

----------------

Hopefully with America West''s closure of their Columbus hub operations, CMH will move up a few spaces on the list. The opportunity definitely exists for Southwest to add service, especially to Baltimore. America West flew the CMH-BWI route with 250 seats daily. The flights went out full almost daily, and mainly with local passengers. The opportunity also exists for Southwest to ramp up service to Florida, add a frequency to MDW, and fly between CMH-LAX, which was recently discontinued by America West, and is the city of Columbus'' top priority in terms of restoring air service. Considering Southwest''s large presence in MCI, no competition on the CMH-MCI route, as well as the connecting opportunities available and the O&D between the two cities, I''m sure SWA could fly twice daily between Columbus and Kansas City.

----------------​

I would like to know where you get the information about HP ful flights. As I recall they had 2 RJ and 1 or 2 737/a320 on the route. Most of the time 1 of these flight were cancelled. I do not have any hard facts about their loads only what I have heard from friend who work in BWI and CMH.

My bet is on a big push at MDW now that the new terminal is nearing completion. Once that is done, I bet that LUV adds more MDW-west coast, and MDW-"missing east" like BUF, ALB, and ORF.

As for the DTW comments... I think DTW-BWI is the missing link. I can''t think of many cities in the East that LUV does not serve from BWI.

As for the CMH comments... Since LUV added CMH-PHX/LAS (America West''s hubs) in the last few years, as well as BWI, I don''t think AWA was a problem for LUV in terms of adding what it wanted to at CMH. AWA did not serve Florida as much as LUV already does... AWA never served CMH-MSY. Also, ATA on IND-LAX did not stop LUV from adding it, so I doubt AWA flying CMH-LAX stopped LUV from adding it.

I''m definitely hoping for ALB-MDW non-stop service in order to make quicker connections to Midwestern destinations such as STL (I''m a big Cardinal fan).

funguy2:

That is true, I''m sure that America West''s presence at the time in CMH was not a huge factor in their determining to add service on select markets. But now that America West''s presence is essentially gone, the airline could easily pick up the displaced passengers, especially on the CMH-LAX route. Also, Southwest and America West had essentially equivalent service in the Florida market, with Southwest flying once daily to MCO and twice daily to TPA, and America West flying twice daily to MCO and once daily to RSW.

wwtraveler99:

I am currently a ramp agent with America West in Columbus. Mainline service between Baltimore and Columbus was discontinued a few years ago. Prior to the start of the hub reduction we served Baltimore 5 times daily with ERJ-145 aircraft. Next week we will be down to 3 daily flights, and the route will be discontinued on June 1. I see the passenger boarding totals for all of our flights out of CMH, and our Baltimore flights, especially the 5PM departure, were often oversold.