Southwest Stores Outsourcing

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Well its been a while since I have posted but this is a topic that affects my job directly.

Our Company had incorporated language in the contract to reduce the scope of our job duties. In the last T/A language the janitor could pretty much handle sensitive aircraft parts and ship them to points unknown. Storage of materials for aircraft use would be handled by others not covered under our contract. If you ever sat on an airplane that developed a maintenance issue we are just as involved as maintenance when it comes to materials. Our knowledge can save maintenance and you from a delay that eliminates the search time for the mechanic for parts once he decides what the problem is. There is value in that skill. That is just one instant of many tasks that would be lost since there is no caretaker for the stockroom for that city.

For a company that says it values it's employees as much as it's customers, there is no illusion to our small group that is more myth than reality.

There are rumors of plans in place to outsource our duties in PHX where there is and alternate warehouse. We support Ground equipment where we are essentially locked out of supporting functions for that group. There are dealings during negotiations where the negotiating team says one thing but are not acting in a "good faith" towards our small group.

What I have seen where I work is a move to allow the third party to do work covered under the scope of our contract rather than call us in for overtime to complete the work. Yes filing grievances through our work group is the option but the company has won since the Teamsters are piss poor at representation. We don't generate enough revenue to get uncle Jimmy to react to what essentially has been a tact by the company of "we do what we want and then you can grieve it".

With this being said could this becoming to a work group near you? The guys in Dallas are out trying to spread the word through informational picketing. Honk in support if you see them....

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/.a/6a00d8341c2cc953ef0147e0f68c6f970b-pi

Thanks for the info. Do you have any of the numbers. At AA, Stores is returning on Jan 10th to negotiations.

Regarding when we meet again it is up to the government mediator assigned to the case.

The vote was close. There was a 17 vote difference among the membership kept it from passing. We are a group of 170 strong.

The mindset for the yes voters was in this economy it was a great deal; large retro around 17 grand for senior members, and a three dollar per hour wage increase.

The mindset for the no voters was more long term. The language opened the gates for outsourcing, and considerably weakened the Scope of protected job duties in the future for the clerks.

There were some underhanded tactics by the management negotiation team that I can't confirm. I'd expect this is the case during all negotiations. If they are true I see it has tarnishing the reputation of the integrity of the company to work honestly. I expect we are a small group that the company side negotiation team thinks will submit through time. This is a clear sign that even though the vote was close, outsorcing will not be tolerated by this work group. We are productive, and have the company's interest and success at the core how we perform everyday. I say this with confidence because I know the many of the people I work with day to day, they come in work hard, are productive, and Southwest Airlines has done very well because of this.

We have been without a contract since 2008.

I am just settling in for the long wait until we meet again.

bb

I expect we are a small group that the company side negotiation team thinks will submit through time. I am just settling in for the long wait until we meet again.
bb

Well with the economy on the rebound it may just swing more numbers your way! Good luck!

Well its been a while since I have posted but this is a topic that affects my job directly.

Our Company had incorporated language in the contract to reduce the scope of our job duties. In the last T/A language the janitor could pretty much handle sensitive aircraft parts and ship them to points unknown. Storage of materials for aircraft use would be handled by others not covered under our contract. If you ever sat on an airplane that developed a maintenance issue we are just as involved as maintenance when it comes to materials. Our knowledge can save maintenance and you from a delay that eliminates the search time for the mechanic for parts once he decides what the problem is. There is value in that skill. That is just one instant of many tasks that would be lost since there is no caretaker for the stockroom for that city.

For a company that says it values it's employees as much as it's customers, there is no illusion to our small group that is more myth than reality.

There are rumors of plans in place to outsource our duties in PHX where there is and alternate warehouse. We support Ground equipment where we are essentially locked out of supporting functions for that group. There are dealings during negotiations where the negotiating team says one thing but are not acting in a "good faith" towards our small group.

What I have seen where I work is a move to allow the third party to do work covered under the scope of our contract rather than call us in for overtime to complete the work. Yes filing grievances through our work group is the option but the company has won since the Teamsters are piss poor at representation. We don't generate enough revenue to get uncle Jimmy to react to what essentially has been a tact by the company of "we do what we want and then you can grieve it".

With this being said could this becoming to a work group near you? The guys in Dallas are out trying to spread the word through informational picketing. Honk in support if you see them....

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/.a/6a00d8341c2cc953ef0147e0f68c6f970b-pi
170 members? Sounds like you are the last remaining remnant of the IBT at Southwest. Why don't you tie-in with one of the two larger groups at Southwest, like the TWU or IAM?
The TWU may still have their no-raid agreement with the IBT but I'm sure DL141 of the IAM would be interested. You should check them out at iam141.org.

I totally agree with the JANITOR. Great advice !!!
Well I don't expect them to go anytime soon. We are married to them at this point of the negotiation process. This addition No vote has done nothing to stop the company from out souring. They have sent a letter of notifying our union president of allowing Timco our newest MRO to preform work under our scope.

Unless Uncle Jimmy steps in himself (I fully expect he probably doesn't even know we exist ) I doubt they (the Teamsters) will live much longer here representing the rank and file after this process is over. The concessions they make under the normal grievance process have produced an "all take, no give" tact the company takes toward us.

Finally, the new VP of maintenance has a philosophy of Outsourcing is a good way to control costs. I have been here eighteen years I always thought that was my job to do, as an employee. Seemed to work long before this dude showed up to the party.

Well I don't expect them to go anytime soon. We are married to them at this point of the negotiation process. This addition No vote has done nothing to stop the company from out souring. They have sent a letter of notifying our union president of allowing Timco our newest MRO to preform work under our scope.

Unless Uncle Jimmy steps in himself (I fully expect he probably doesn't even know we exist ) I doubt they (the Teamsters) will live much longer here representing the rank and file after this process is over. The concessions they make under the normal grievance process have produced an "all take, no give" tact the company takes toward us.

Finally, the new VP of maintenance has a philosophy of Outsourcing is a good way to control costs. I have been here eighteen years I always thought that was my job to do, as an employee. Seemed to work long before this dude showed up to the party.

If you have the volume of work, outsourcing is really an admission of failure on the part of management. Basically outsoucing is paying someone else to manage labor that your business requires.

Latest posts

Back