Southwest wins Havana, Cuba routes

This announcement comes just a month after the DOT awarded us authority to serve two other Cuban cities, Varadero (VRA) and Santa Clara (SNU), from FLL.
Let the countdown to Cuba continue! :)

"Southwest Airlines will launch service to Cuba starting Nov. 13 with flights to Havana starting a month later, the company said Thursday Oct. 13.
The first flights (twice daily) will depart from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to the Cuban city of Varadero on the country’s northern coast.
On Dec. 12, Southwest will launch daily service to Havana from Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, Fla.
Southwest also plans to launch daily service from Fort Lauderdale to Santa Clara, Cuba, but did not announce details on Thursday."
:)

Last edited:
Just hoping our planes are much fuller than what AA is reporting as 1/2 full. It will be interesting to what the load factors will be with the tourist restrictions still in place.

Just hoping our planes are much fuller than what AA is reporting as 1/2 full. It will be interesting to what the load factors will be with the tourist restrictions still in place.

I'm also hoping our load factors will be good. You're right swamt, lots of restrictions:

"There is CRITICAL DOCUMENTATION all travelers will need to have before they step onboard any of our aircraft heading to one of our new Cuban destinations. Customers will need:
  • A valid passport
  • A Cuban Travel Card
  • A “Reason for Travel” (RFTV) that meets one of the authorized licensed travel categories or a specific license granted by the U.S. government
  • Supplemental medical insurance
  • A booked roundtrip ticket
Visa
Along with a valid passport, a Travel Card (you may also hear it called a tourist visa) is required to enter Cuba. Southwest Airlines has contracted with Cuba Travel Services (CTS) to provide Travel Cards for our Customers at the airport. CTS will have a designated location in both the TPA and FLL Stations where Customers can purchase their Travel Card for $50.00.

Reason for Travel
Another difference between traveling to Cuba and our other destinations is that Customers who do not have a specific license must certify a Reason for Travel (RFTV) that meets one of the following authorized licensed travel categories, established by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC):
  • Family visits to Cuban nationals
  • Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
  • Journalistic activities
  • Professional research and professional meetings
  • Educational activities
  • Religious activities
  • Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
  • Support for the Cuban people
  • Humanitarian projects
  • Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
  • Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials
  • Certain authorized export transactions
Customers will be asked to verbally certify their RFTV at the time of check-in, which will be recorded in the reservation."

Last edited:
Sharon, I am not positive of the exact numbers for us, but, a little while back I seem to remember that we needed to have an aircraft at least half full in order to make profit. Do you know if that still holds true now days? Of coarse these numbers were based on domestic travel no sure about international travel though.

Sharon, I am not positive of the exact numbers for us, but, a little while back I seem to remember that we needed to have an aircraft at least half full in order to make profit. Do you know if that still holds true now days? Of coarse these numbers were based on domestic travel no sure about international travel though.
swamt I was told by friends in the international dept. at hdq. that it has to be at least 70% full to
make a profit and that Cuba bookings are really looking good.

swamt I was told by friends in the international dept. at hdq. that it has to be at least 70% full to
make a profit and that Cuba bookings are really looking good.
Well that's good news about Cuba flights. 70% is still not bad. The Cuban flights will pick up by end of year with added flights in Nov and Dec.

"Southwest Airlines will launch service to Cuba starting Nov. 13 with flights to Havana starting a month later, the company said Thursday Oct. 13.
The first flights (twice daily) will depart from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to the Cuban city of Varadero on the country’s northern coast.
On Dec. 12, Southwest will launch daily service to Havana from Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, Fla.
Southwest also plans to launch daily service from Fort Lauderdale to Santa Clara, Cuba, but did not announce details on Thursday."
:)
Southwest will begin service to Santa Clara, Cuba (SNU) on Thurs, Dec. 15!
One daily nonstop to/from FLL.

Last edited:
Well that's good news about Cuba flights. 70% is still not bad. The Cuban flights will pick up by end of year with added flights in Nov and Dec.
I signed up for a "Cultural Tour" of Cuba before Obama went there and opened up talks. I was in Cuba for part of Obama's tour and the Cubans were so excited about his visit but also they are anxiously waiting for Americans to return. They never understood why we left and why we've imposed an embargo for so long. Even during the depths of the Cold War, we never had an embargo against the USSR. During the entire trip, they spoke well of America and welcomed us everywhere we went. The trip had to be approved by the Communist Party ahead of time, but we were able to walk around and see most of the things we wanted.

American's are going to get a HUGE kick out of seeing all of the old cars. I'd guesstimate 50% of the cars are old American made cars from the 1940's and 1950's. They've manage to keep them running. We had a taxi driver that had a problem and he opened up the hood and we asked him if he had replaced the motor and we were shocked that it wasn't and they've been able to keep them running, how, I couldn't answer but they did. 40% percent are the crap cars from the USSR. Between those and the old American cars, there is enough carbon monoxide to last you an entire life time. There were a few newer cars and either the Communist Party leaders were driving them or there are some start up business that mainly cater to the tourists that are now able to afford and import newer cars.

The load factors are going to be debated and what to charge, but the biggest impression that I ran into on the flight from MIA to HAV was the excess bags and items that were being checked in for the flight. If a normal Cuban is able to save money and they want to buy something they have to go through the government and that red tape. As were were checking in, a guy checked in 3 tv's, a car bumper and 2 suitcases. The airline charged him 25.00 for the first bag and then charged him at least 300 bucks in excess baggage fees. I asked the tour leader why he was checking in so much and he said that more than likely the guy lived in the States but had family in Cuba. He was bringing them supplies. So he paid the excess bag fees and paid a large import tax to the Cuban government when we landed. The tour leader said that he was probably bringing 1 tv for the family member and then was going to sell the other 2 tvs on the black market and he would probably come out ahead.

HAV was nice but very run down and neglected. Didn't make it to Santa Clara but I've heard it is nice. Did make it to Varadaro. After the USSR fell and the Cubans were cut off aid, the Cuban Government had European and Mexican investors come into Varadaro and build a bunch of all inclusive resorts. American's will be alarmed to see what Cubans call a 4 star resort. I will say that it was clean.

I wanted to see it before America invade with Starbucks and McDonald's. I would go back but after the Castro's have died off and given time to clean up and modernize.

Reactions: SharoninSAT
Wrong thread ruth. This belongs in the mechanics contract thread.