Southwest's Plans

diverboy said:
Southwest Airlines senority in Los Angeles:

CSA: approx 4 years
Provisioning: approx 5 years
Operations: approx 6 years

in Hartford (BDL)
CSA: 2 years !!
Interesting LA numbers, considering Southwest has been flying from the airport for 20 years.

According to my friend in RES at PHX, average customer service and reservations agents is eight years and there is a total of 9,000.

PHX res is average nine years.

700UW said:
The employees have given back over $1.2 billion and they are the lowest paid except CO out of the major airlines larger then US.
Co is way above US in pay and benefits. Agent tos 21.65 per hour (10 year scale) Mechanics are Teamsters and have a great contract. Pilots are much higher paid

CAL Pilot Pay

We are the lowest paid of all the majors bar none!

This is like a merry go round! Why is everyone arguing a moot point. Airways has to comepete period or no airline. The vultures are circling, and we need amunition, not rhetoric.

There is no doubt that the seniority of the US workforce is wreaking havoc on the company's effort to control labor costs. Whereas CO, HP, and UA experienced declines in workforce seniority through bankruptcy, US' labor pool became MORE senior overall post-Chapter 11, meaning that a larger percentage of US employees will automatically top out under any reasonable compensation plan. So when pitted against a rival carrier that maintains a large proportion of its employees at the bottom of the payscales, top-heavy US is at a major disadvantage.

avek00 said:
There is no doubt that the seniority of the US workforce is wreaking havoc on the company's effort to control labor costs. Whereas CO, HP, and UA experienced declines in workforce seniority through bankruptcy, US' labor pool became MORE senior overall post-Chapter 11, meaning that a larger percentage of US employees will automatically top out under any reasonable compensation plan. So when pitted against a rival carrier that maintains a large proportion of its employees at the bottom of the payscales, top-heavy US is at a major disadvantage.
Thus, the reason for the accelerated discipline process of the employees who are "toped out" and older as a population of workers. Management is finding all kinds of creative ways to terminate the employees at a fast pace. :angry:

PS: I 've been on these boards for months and months commenting on this, and some folks on here just refuse to believe such a thing is occuring in this day and age inspite of laws prohibiting discrimination of age and disability.

Spirit Airlines is not a major carrier nor in the top ten airlines. Majors BOB.

PineyBob said:
I know this because when US pulled out of ACY I asked my regular G/A if she was going to Spirit. She replied "NO WAY not for $7:50/hr and working weekends and evenings again."
Was this agent a US Airways employee? I thought the only service thats been there for years was an Air Midwest B1900 to PHL. Surely that would have been an Air Midwest or maybe Allegheny employee? They dont make more than that starting.

700UW said:
Is it the employees fault that US has laidoff 20,000 employees?

NOPE!, Management did!

Southwest has been around since 1971, I do believe they have a lot of senior employees, you all spout about they have junior employees but never have any factual information on that.
Just a couple of months ago on an overnight, I ran into a SW flight attendant who had been with the company for 30 years now, and with Stock Options and 401k matching and salary she will have close to 1 million dollars to retire on. This is what she told me. She loved her job and loved working at SW and was very happy.

geo1004 said:
True. But most of their employees are far less senior than US's - hence US's labor costs are higher.

WN also has a very simple business plan - one fleet type, no Express flights averaging half-empty, and much more efficient work rules for the employees on the property.
Have you ever watch "Airline" on A@E on Monday nights. I have rarely seen anyone reprenting Southwest under the age of 35. They have tons of people working there in the "Senior Department". SW has been around for over 30 years.
If I started day one at SW at the age of 21 that would make me 51 years of age right now. This myth that SW has many junior people to U in my mind is just that.....a MYTH and a SPIN. :down:

The pictorial of you in the hourglass shows a typical union employee. A man on the ground, giving up, with a mustache. A typical "giver-uper." My personal opinion is that you are a loser.

Piney Bob, the only people on here who will intimidate me are the Moderators. I learned that by being sent to the Cornfields once. I am not on here to win friends or influence people. I am on here to learn, stay connected, gain insight and share what "little knowledge" I have and contribute. And yes, voice my opinion from time to time. There are some that I just overlook and consider the source. There are some that when I have seen they have posted I jump to absorb what they may have to say. The best thing about these boards is that you can PM folks to make serious inquiries and not get ridiculed.

PS sorry about the WV thing.

marco90821 said:
The pictorial of you in the hourglass shows a typical union employee. A man on the ground, giving up, with a mustache. A typical "giver-uper." My personal opinion is that you are a loser.
what do you see when you look in the mirror?
it takes one to know one marco... :lol:

ktflyhome said:
Have you ever watch "Airline" on A@E on Monday nights. I have rarely seen anyone reprenting Southwest under the age of 35. They have tons of people working there in the "Senior Department". SW has been around for over 30 years.
That doesn't mean that they are senior senority-wise..

We hire a lot of people already in their 40's and 50's.

One guy in my department is in his 60's.. hes been with the company 2 years.

diverboy said:
That doesn't mean that they are senior senority-wise..

We hire a lot of people already in their 40's and 50's.

One guy in my department is in his 60's.. hes been with the company 2 years.
U hired alot of people around those ages too, WHEN we were hiring. I have a best friend 10 years older than me that got hired 5 years ago. I know what you mean. I guess I was trying to say that NOT all of SW is junior, meaning youngins. I get so tired of everyong comparing U to SW it really doesn't matter. Also the Senior folks (me not being one of them) have certainly dedicated their lives to this Company and should very well be compensated for the long standing that they have.

I cannot imagine anyone in any job at any place in this Country who has dedicated a lifetime to their prospective employer and not expect to make some money over the years. Do I tell my granddaughter that when she starts her career someday that she should expect to only make that wage the rest of her career???? This whole thing is just absurd to me.

Maybe Dave should be making today what he made out of college. Yea, sure, times have changed. Ecomony has changed. The Airline Industry has changed. So should folks around here go back 20 years in wages when everything else has increased. Once again, this is absurd.

What this Mangement is trying to do to its workforce in MOHO is CRIMINAL. I frankly do not care about any other airline in this country but USAirways. :shock:

Latest posts