Special Alpa Mec Meeting Called

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
ALPA MEC Chairman Captain Bill Pollock has called a special MEC meeting for Thursday, March 4 in Crystal City. The primary agenda item is SJ Scope Relief. The entire agenda will be made public later today on the ALPA code-a-phone recorded message.

Meanwhile, ALPA and the Company are nearing a new scope tentative agreement that could adjust RJ operations at the wholly owned and affiliate airlines. This agreement could be ratified by the MEC or sent to the membership for ratification.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

ALPA is running out of people it can sell out. Who will it be this time? Rest assured that you will not get a vote on it.

I posted this on the Mesa 737 thread but it seems most relevant here....

As JO makes this announcement, the AAA MEC is working on giving further Scope relief to allow the likes of MESA and Chautauqua to operate even more 70 Seaters. When will it occur that if they do not draw a line in the sand, the sand will suck them under. Davey Boy is not here to help US Airways survive, he's here to hook up his buddy Johnny.

Mesa operating 737-300s on the East Coast. Bye, Bye US Airways!

Be careful what you give away, then again, it's already too late.

Goodbye US Airways, Hello Mesatauqua!!!!

TBONEJ4J said:
I posted this on the Mesa 737 thread but it seems most relevant here....

As JO makes this announcement, the AAA MEC is working on giving further Scope relief to allow the likes of MESA and Chautauqua to operate even more 70 Seaters. When will it occur that if they do not draw a line in the sand, the sand will suck them under. Davey Boy is not here to help US Airways survive, he's here to hook up his buddy Johnny.

Mesa operating 737-300s on the East Coast. Bye, Bye US Airways!

Be careful what you give away, then again, it's already too late.

Goodbye US Airways, Hello Mesatauqua!!!!
But isnt it better to give than recieve? Seriously alpa Ill say ill take my hat off too. They have def shown leadership with the exception of publicly calling for Dave to leave. This is buisness at work here, and why a union can be "useful" instead of "useless"

usfliboi, this isn't Christmas, it's a career. I give to my career and I expect to receive a decent paycheck. What you wanna work for free now?

EyeInTheSky said:
usfliboi, this isn't Christmas, it's a career. I give to my career and I expect to receive a decent paycheck. What you wanna work for free now?
Yeah Ill work for free!!! PLEASE! You or I are no where near working for free and you know it. There are few people on our senority list anywhere in the company with less than 10 years. Does it hurt ? You bet! May it be necessary to take another cut in order to make it work ? Maybe!

" May it be necessary to take another cut in order to make it work ? Maybe! "

fliboi--

The correct answer to your rhetorical question is not "maybe," but rather, "not while the people in CCY (or any other boardroom) continue to profit while we all suffer. Period. :angry:

Ah as the MEC meets in SJ scope negotiations rest assured that they will hand all the flying to the likes of MESA and PSA and nothing to ALG/PDT as they are willing to fly for almost free.

Kev3188 said:
The correct answer to your rhetorical question is not "maybe," but rather, "not while the people in CCY (or any other boardroom) continue to profit while we all suffer. Period.
Did I miss something?

Last time I checked US was losing money.

RSA invested roughly $240,000,000 in US Airways last year and received 38% of US Airways stock. If RSA sold out today, their 38% stake is worth $104 million. That is a loss of ($136 million). No profit there.

If you go to Yahoo finance this very second you will see that the total market cap of US Airways is $273,970,000. That's right, the whole thing is only worth $274 million dollars. I say ONLY, because Southwest has a market cap of $11 BILLION. Based on these facts, if Wallstreet were a horse track, the odds of Southwest winning vs. US Airways would be 36 to 1.

US Airways stock has ranged from $4 to $32 in the last year. Today it is trading at $5.12 per share, near the year low. So there's probably more losers than winners. So I don't know who is profiting, but there is not many if any. But the people that will make an even bigger profit if US fails is Southwest investors. And based on the Southwest stock price, that is EXACTLY what their investors are counting on.

But the biggest upset in airline investing history is in the making.

Consider this: Southwest is worth $11 billion today. I don't know how all the costs get out of US, but the details that have been revealed so far state the target is to be competitive with Southwest from a cost standpoint. So if costs are the same and fares are competitive, Southwest is in real trouble. Who is going to drive to PVD when they can fly out of BOS for the same price? Customers won't drive from Washington to Baltimore anymore, they will fly from Reagan.

So who has the most to lose? US employees? US investors? WN employees? WN investors?

WN employees are sympathetic, but they REALLY don't want US to be competitive on costs because US could be the worst thing that ever happened to them if they are lean, mean and have competitive costs.

More Facts--

Good post. The point I was trying to get across to usfliboi is that it's very frustrating to see all of the "legacy" CEOs coming at us with an open hand while doing very little sacrificing themselves. At my airline (NW), we are constantly deluged with pleas for concessions while our directors routinely are either awarding themselves or cashing in stock options. Just MHO, but it's time for all employees under cba's to say ENOUGH, and demand some accountability.

passed_over said:
Ah as the MEC meets in SJ scope negotiations rest assured that they will hand all the flying to the likes of MESA and PSA and nothing to ALG/PDT as they are willing to fly for almost free.
ALG/PDT undercut PSAs 50 seat rate by over 3%. Also, didn't you guys try a back door Loa 83 that would have put all your Jr pilot out on the street?

USA320PILOT, you said:
Meanwhile, ALPA and the Company are nearing a new scope tentative agreement that could adjust RJ operations at the wholly owned and affiliate airlines. This agreement could be ratified by the MEC or sent to the membership for ratification.

Is it up the MEC rather they vote or if its sent to the membership? You said it like there is a choice, I'm confused? Is it not cut and dry what has to go to a vote?