Star, AC & YYZ

RowUnderDCA

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Putting aside questions as to wisdom or justice, could US code share with AC and/or UA to carry pax from and to USA locations over YYZ? I mean to ask, is there any legal or regulatory impediment, once Star Alliance is fully implemented?

I''m pretty sure that AC flights cannot carry domestic U.S. traffic over a Canadian point on a routing such as BOS-YYZ-SEA. I would guess the same prohibition would apply to US or UA code-share traffic on AC metal, although I''m not sure what happens on US or UA metal. But regardless of the possible legality of any of the above scenarios, I don''t think too many passengers would use such a connecting service due to the need to go through both U.S. and Canadian Customs in each direction (assuming the passenger is making a round trip). At least, that''s how I understand that the system works, although I''ll defer to anyone with more expertise.

Cabotage is when a carrier of one country flies passengers between cities within another single country. Like USAirways flying YUL-YYZ. Or Air Canada doing BOS-ORD.

BOS-YYZ-SEA would probably be legal for a Canadian or U.S. carrier since Canada and the U.S. have an open skies agreement. (At least I think they do.)

----------------
On 6/4/2003 11:20:04 AM RowUnderDCA wrote:
Putting aside questions as to wisdom or justice, could US code share with AC and/or UA to carry pax from and to USA locations over YYZ? I mean to ask, is there any legal or regulatory impediment, once Star Alliance is fully implemented?
----------------​

I think it may be too much of a hassle for pax to go city 1 USA - YYZ on US and YYZ city 2 USA on AC. This is because opon arrival in YYZ one would have to clear Canadian customs, and then again clear US customs in YYZ before proceeding onto your connecting flight.

What I would look for, once US is a part of * as far as YYZ is concerned is for US to move out of Terminal 3 into AC''s terminal and a similar consolidation at other airports (AC using US gates in USA) and the addition of more flights to/from Canada to/from PIT/CLT/PHL/LGA/DCA and beyond.

AC also gives US an alternative to UAL for traveling to the Pacific (connect to AC flights out of YVR) and to some extent to Europe (i.e. LHR), and maybe even a codeshare a YYZ-TLV?

----------------
On 6/4/2003 7:39:16 PM phllax wrote:

AC is already using UA gates at most of its US airports. One exception is LAX, where AC is in T2.

----------------​

Oops, I''ve sort of forgotten that AC has been a * member since the begining and a UAL code-share partner for a long time now. I believe that AC uses UAL gates at UAL hubs (like ORD), but what about other ''spoke'' city airports - do UAL and AC share gates? Although the Canadian market is not that large, I hope that there will be AC&US code-share flights in the future which should be beneficial to both airlines.