Ste Mobile Aerospace , Strike-two !

USAir has already had a hand at 3rd party work during the Seth Schoefield era.

During the mid 90's CLT Heavy performed work on B757-200's for both America West and Challenge Air Cargo prior to them being aquired by UPS.

During this same timeframe. B737-200 work was performed in CLT on behalf of Eastwind Airlines as well as the B737-200 that was owned by George Shinn and the NBA Charlotte Hornets.

I'm sure thier are other examples too..but this is just off the top of my head. I know we had an office for 3rd party work located in the upper level of the main terminal in CLT during that time too.

U could have made a great deal of money by continuing this program...yet it was easier to just fold up the tent as we have done in so many areas that have presented a challenge before.

Delta Airlines performs a degree of 3rd party work...and the annual yields range in the 180 to 200 million arena annually. Lufthansa Teknik does this as does a division of UA known as "United Services" UA's division even performs work on USAF Acft like the engines on the C-17 Globemaster III cargo plane...and even the B757-200 designated as Air Force 2 for the VP of the United States.

U is currently not in a position to perform outside heavy work for a number of reasons...and most of those reasons are the same limiting factors that hamper us as we stand at present.

(1) Leadership and Organization issues

(2) Shortage of space due to TPA's closure. (this does not support U's claim on space for our Airbus work , just we have no room for outside work.)

(3) Shortages of manpower...CLT and PIT both are crippled with manpower shortages...and it's abundantly clear when 1st and 2nd shift in CLT is being called for OT of late just to keep a minimum level of 18 people on each of 3 scheduled aircraft...keep in mind CLT will accomodate 5 in tail docks in it's current layout.

CLT would be an ideal location to build another facility for just such 3rd party work as we've chatted about...a facility like the new CLT line hangar can be built within 6 months at a cost of less than $6 million....and then leased from the city at a very attractive price. The lease fees and the costs of tooling would easily be recoverd if U gained only 1/3rd of the profit margin that DL is enjoying at present in one years time....and niether place , un-like Timco.... or even ST Mobile Aerospace would be a sweat shop that filters the profits to a foriegn country like Singapore.

The name of the game is profits...and keeping Americans employed and the money where it rightfully belongs. This would take some work of course...and you do have to spend money to make money...but if done properly? The yields could be the differnce in showing a profit...or making a big profit. Maybe Doc Bronner needs to find himself exactly that kind of leader?...the investment should be well worth the effort....even if it meant doing it in his place of interest Vs. CLT or even PIT?

AOG,

And guess who just got the contract to do JetBlue's checks on the Buses...

Air Canada

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
AOG,

And guess who just got the contract to do JetBlue's checks on the Buses...

Air Canada

Jim
Thanks Jim,

AC is another glowing example of a company that makes money with that end of the business...even if AC as a whole is on shakey ground.

AC's thirst for buying out it's competition on it's own soil tends to hurt them in the grand scheme of things , yet when the North American economy turns around again , AC should be able to shake it off better than some may care to speculate on at present.

I remember doing part 145 work in the instrument shop while the jet shop was being set up for same thing, which of course never happened. The amount of vendor work we did was very limited with the forever promise of getting a lot more. All that has happened since I have been with this outfit was shrink and not grow in the least. We have one of the worlds best jet engine test cells sitting idle and rotting. Tooling and parts were practically given away. In fact a co-worker/friend of mine started a business and made a fortune selling U parts to other airlines. He is now in business for all airlines getting business to the MRO's, he was the smart one.

sentrido said:
Does anybody know when the arbitration hearing will take place?
I don't know when it will take place since no arbitrator has been selected as of yet. The word I hear is that we could have an answer and the process be complete in two months using accelerated arbitration. So that takes us into the middle of May.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Look for the company to drag it's heels on the outsourcing arbitration. Why? While the process is ongoing, the Airbuses continue to go to Alabama. From management's perspective, why hurry to resolve something when the decision may go against them if they can outsource all they want while the process lasts.

For example, ALPA just got a favorable ruling from an arbitrator. The grievence was filed early last year over improper furloughs.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Just my 2 cents worth....

Look for the company to drag it's heels on the outsourcing arbitration. Why? While the process is ongoing, the Airbuses continue to go to Alabama. From management's perspective, why hurry to resolve something when the decision may go against them if they can outsource all they want while the process lasts.

For example, ALPA just got a favorable ruling from an arbitrator. The grievence was filed early last year over improper furloughs.

Jim
BB,

Happy to hear that you guys won against these thieves...it's a safe bet USA320pilot wasn't presenting your case..or you would have to re-stitch the bottoms of your trouser pockets up. :p

pitguy said:
I don't know when it will take place since no arbitrator has been selected as of yet. The word I hear is that we could have an answer and the process be complete in two months using accelerated arbitration. So that takes us into the middle of May.
thank you pit

MarkMyWords said:
I asked this same question last year during a discussion and was told by some of the union hard-liners that it would take about 600 mechanics to open 2-3 tracks to do the S check in house.
Mark,

When the company held its captive audience meetings at one of the hangars, former VP of Maintenance Charlie Nardello (who was fired for sticking up for the IAM) informed us to do two tracks in Tampa, like the plan was and then kick it up to three tracks it would require up to 300 mechanic jobs, but at first it would be 100 to 150 jobs added.

I appreciate the more accurate information. I can't remember who kept insisting that it would take 600 mechanics to open 2-3 tracks. I knew the number was way to high.

Thanks for the update.

Question:How many mechanics does it take to screw in a light bulb at STS mobile?

Answer: none! well there is one. but he is just there to sign it off....

:up: ? :down: ?

U could have made a great deal of money by continuing this program...yet it was easier to just fold up the tent as we have done in so many areas that have presented a challenge before.

i believe if you check into it...the revenue made doing outside (3rd party ) work isn't enough to offset U's problems.
in fact it is a miniscule portion of the total revenue generated by the company.

delldude said:

i believe if you check into it...the revenue made doing outside (3rd party ) work isn't enough to offset U's problems.
in fact it is a miniscule portion of the total revenue generated by the company.
I do believe if you would absorb my commentary..you would see why our dabble into this arena was easier to walk away from...as opposed to persuing it.

Eveyone with a sound program with motivated and dedicated leadership in this area fares well....regardless of what the actual mainline as a whole tends to do.

AC makes a profit on 3rd party work

LH Teknik turns a profit with third part work

UA Tech Services makes a profit on Uncle Sams work

and DL is averaging 180 million per year on this area.

Regardless of what the sum of all the mass does or doesn't do? 3rd party work if properly managed and marketed , can net a tidy profit in capable hands....U hasn't had such a luxury to bragg about in many many years....but it's not to be said that it can't take place with some forward thinking leadership in position. That's the entire point in a nutshell.

word from the floor lastnite regarding the flap incident on a/c707 was a problem with the flap position switches , i believe.apparently U didn't have the required parts for replacement during "s" check and they weren't changed and left the originals in place.
U had the switches in stock but part of a next higher assy(NHA)which costs very dearly..like in the tens of thousands.....
and the reason they didn't have the required switches was they were sold during the big inventory reduction sale last quarter to raise every red cent to make the books look good for 4th qtr...
word is they were let go for a paltry $900 each...which i'm told is a mere fraction of their real cost.
if true....management logic strikes again......