Stick A Fork In 'em, They're Done

North by Northwest said:
Delta massive loss= "Simpli Dummy" fares. But that's OK...cause they have to compete with the LCC even it it means they go out of business. Sounds like a plan. :up:
[post="268433"][/post]​

Don't worry. You red tails are not far behind. Guess who's next?

Simplified fares don't work at a carrier like NW that has the second highest costs in the industry - right behind perennial USAirways.

"Simplified fares don't work at a carrier like NW that has the second highest costs in the industry - right behind perennial USAirways." But they "work" at Delta...with "lower" costs. :stupid: If Delta is an example of how "Simpli-dumb A$$" fares work....Keep'em over there.

WorldTraveler said:
don't be so foolish. DL needs the pension reform legislation to pass and they will keep the bad news coming until they get the help - or the gov't will get their pensions.

pretend you have a little political savvy about you - WN certainly does.
[post="268114"][/post]​

WorldTraveler said:
don't be so foolish. DL needs the pension reform legislation to pass and they will keep the bad news coming until they get the help - or the gov't will get their pensions.

[post="268114"][/post]​

WorldTraveler said:

[post="268114"][/post]​

Attachments

• HFD_April_2004.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 277
Busdrvr said:
Good luck guys, i find a no pension SWA guy rooting for your demise rather distasteful. <_<
[post="268124"][/post]​

SWA has no pension? I thought they had a 401K match, you know those plans where they cant defer payments for thirty years then when the bill gets too high simply turn it over to the PBGC?

So lets see if I retire at 65, on average Ill live another 10 years. So I should work for less money for 35 years at a place with a defined benifit, where the "defined" part can be changed at any time, so I can get a DB pension? The numbers dont add up. SWA is probably paying more into their plan per person than DAL or AA.

Bob Owens said:
SWA has no pension? I thought they had a 401K match, you know those plans where they cant defer payments for thirty years then when the bill gets too high simply turn it over to the PBGC?

So lets see if I retire at 65, on average Ill live another 10 years. So I should work for less money for 35 years at a place with a defined benifit, where the "defined" part can be changed at any time, so I can get a DB pension? The numbers dont add up. SWA is probably paying more into their plan per person than DAL or AA.
[post="269128"][/post]​

The company would have given you a 401k years ago if you'd perfered it. It's cheaper, especially when the match is in company stock and younger employees can't afford to put any in, therefore, no match. but I'm glad you don't think the guys at UAL are losing their pension since the company is providing a 401K.... :rolleyes:

Bob Owens said:
SWA is probably paying more into their plan per person than DAL or AA.
[post="269128"][/post]​

You are correct, WN's defined contribution retirement plans are a lot more expensive, per employee, per dollar of revenue or as a percentage of employee compensation than AMR's Defined Benefit plan contributions.

AMR's 2004 DB plan contributions were $461 million, which is $5,005 per employee (92,100 FTE at 12/31/04). That equals 2.47% of total revenue and is 6.86% of total wages/salaries.

But over at WN, retirement plan expenses are larger, no matter how you measure it: Its 2004 retirement plan expenses were $200 million, or $6,449 per employee. As a percentage of total revenue, it was 3.06%, and it was 8.19% of total wages/salaries.

Yet another reason that AA isn't in any big hurry to replace its current plans with DC plans like those at WN; the current plans cost less cash each year. This year, AMR's contributions are expected to be only $310 million, magnifying the difference between AMR's retirement expenses and those at WN, which will probably be about $200 million again.