SuperBowl on LiveTV!

Just heard that JetBlue is going to have the SuperBowl on LiveTV. The passengers are going to love it! (They do count, don''t they?!)
AKAAB

Apparently you will now be able to watch the World Series on someone other then JB.

Song will form a partnership with EchoStar Communications Corp.(NASDAQ-NMS:DISH) (DISH) and its Dish Network satellite TV service, as well as Matsu****a Avionics Systems, to provide on-board amenities such as personal video monitors, satellite television programming and digitally streamed MP3 audio programming. The airline also will sell meals.

For all of those who thought JB had an exclusive on TV, think again. Not only that but Honeywell and Rockwell Collins are prepared to enter the TV market as well. Honeywell already sells it's TV to the corporate jet market.

The next jump will be Sat radio and then internet. It's not going to stop, I give Dave credit for being the first but unfortunatly the market is too lucrative to go un noticed and un challenged by the big boys.

PS
The only union at Song will be the pilots so, costs should be comptitive with the LCC's and from what I understand the 757-200 in a 199 seat configuration has the lowest CASM in the industry (not to mention the CAL is flying the -300's to FL). It should be interesting. I wonder how long before DAL starts flying Song up against Airtran?

I just read another press release that Song is planning on having text only email by Sept.

The avionics tech's should stay pretty busy.

LAS and PHX are on the initial destination list too.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 10:55:54 PM Speedbird wrote:

Well good for Song!

After listening to all the "experts" take pot shots at JBLU for employing liveTV in all their aircraft, it appears that the competition is ready to implement a very successful customer service feature pioneered by JBLU."

What experts? Of course YOU said the TV's weren't why folks flew jet blu, it was the "customer service" (do you guys do some sort of song and dance routine during the all night flying?)

"It looks like the industry is taking good notes from one of the leading airlines in the business. You know the ol' saying...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

They are imitating the the EQUIPMENT, not YOU, they plan to have pilots who are significantly better paid and more experienced.

"Despite the use of TVs, jetBlue is the market leader in the JFK - Florida market. With Delta adding only one airplane a month, it will take a while for them to have any sigificant impact against jetBlue."

That sounds about like what the majors were saying when they were refering to jetblue 2 years ago. as for the TV's, I wouldn't be surprised to see Echostar market it's product (with apparently more features) to other airlines. Doesn't jetblue own it's service? Where will the capital come from to upgrade and "keep up" FRNT?

"And with the expected upturn in the economy, there will be ample room for both to compete without much negative impact, except for Delta's mainline revenues which will get reduced through canabalization."

If the major airlines have learned ONE thing in this downturn, it's that you can't just "get along" with lowfare parasitic competition, you have to kill it. They may not "kill you", but count on it hurting. It's been three years, your CEO is about due to run away isn't he?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Hey busdrvr,

Another classic flamebait post without any substance.

You and the rest of your kind still don't get it. IT IS THE PEOPLE that make the difference between jetBlue and anyone who wants to replicate their success.

TVs, rapid turnarounds, and high utilization of airplanes will not be enough to shut them down. And the way the collective management teams at all the majors (except LUV) are taking major craps on their employees, don't expect them to go the extra mile to serve their customers anytime soon.

Well good for Song!

After listening to all the "experts" take pot shots at JBLU for employing liveTV in all their aircraft, it appears that the competition is ready to implement a very successful customer service feature pioneered by JBLU.

It looks like the industry is taking good notes from one of the leading airlines in the business. You know the ol' saying...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Bus, the pay scales for Song are TBD. Song personnel will be on some kind of B-scale, as will UAL Shuttle folks. What their pay will be in relation to JB is unknown at this time.

Hard to argue with the experience comment. With the less experienced almost all furloughed, the net experience of the pilot force at US/UAL/DAL/AA/NWA/CAL has certainly increased.

Does your continual insulting of OAL pilots make you feel better?

[blockquote]
They are imitating the the EQUIPMENT, not YOU, they plan to have pilots who are significantly better paid and more experienced.

If the major airlines have learned ONE thing in this downturn, it's that you can't just "get along" with lowfare parasitic competition, you have to kill it. They may not "kill you", but count on it hurting. It's been three years, your CEO is about due to run away isn't he?
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]

Bus(ter), what's with the attitude? You are really going out on a limb with your comments about levels of experience. Let's not forget that there are many of us on the payroll with well over 20 years of little ALPA pins hanging on our dusty coats in the closet from previous lives. Experience is not the issue here. Innovation and ability to step outside of your 9 dots to embrace change are what it is all about. 60 years of continuous operation with no significant improvement in service is what the industry has relegated itself to.

[/blockquote]

If I have ever read a stupider statement, I can't recall off the top of my head where it came from. This is not only unrealistic, it is childish. Grow up. No one is responsible for the industry turmoil other than those in your corporate ivory towers. The little guys raise your bloodpressure because of niches they carve out while others are bleeding but I doubt seriously that any of the low fare carriers are really responsible for the industry's bloody bottom line. There's really no need for being downright nasty..

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/30/2003 9:12:13 AM jbu320 wrote:

"If I have ever read a stupider statement, I can't recall off the top of my head where it came from. This is not only unrealistic, it is childish. Grow up."

What part is "stupid or childish", or is it inappropriate in your world to question in any way the long term viability of Mr. ADD's business plan?

"The little guys raise your bloodpressure because of niches they carve out while others are bleeding but I doubt seriously that any of the low fare carriers are really responsible for the industry's bloody bottom line."

I personally don't agree with those who would cheapen the profession, but I guess there will always be those who were shut out of the process elsewhere who are willing to.

----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/30/2003 12:25:10 AM Rhino wrote:

"Bus, the pay scales for Song are TBD. Song personnel will be on some kind of B-scale, as will UAL Shuttle folks. What their pay will be in relation to JB is unknown at this time."

Not the pilots. the current plan is DAL pilots at DAL rates (roughly DOUBLE Jblu rates). Yes, with downward pressure on industry wages that could change, but to think that they will be at miserable JBlu levels is pure folly.

"Does your continual insulting of OAL pilots make you feel better?"

So what part is an insult? the fact that the DAL pilots are more experienced? (FACT) or the fact that they are paid considerably more? Yes, one of the keys to Jblu's success IS the employees...ANYTIME you can find people to work for roughly HALF prevailing industry wages, you've got a cost model that just might work. That's like saying Nike's key to success is it's employees (the ones that put the shoes together for $0.50 per hour, maybe they get stock options...)
----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/30/2003 9:51:26 AM Farley wrote:

One word: Dirtbag!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Careful farley, I hear they kick you off the forum if you continually have to censored. BTW is "Farley" your name or is it a love of "chris Farley" (died of glutany and drugs, famous for "van down by the river" scetch)

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 11:25:03 PM Speedbird wrote:

And the way the collective management teams at all the majors (except LUV) are taking major craps on their employees, don't expect them to go the extra mile to serve their customers anytime soon.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Is that how YOU would act? Is that the way folks in YOUR world think? Sorry, professionals don't do things that way. The two current BK airlines are also now the leaders in operational performance. I've flown U extensively over the last year and the service has been nothing less than OUTSTANDING.