Sw Ceo Discusses U/awa Merger

Winglet said:
Maybe SW will just wait for U and HP to carry out their mutual corporate suicide pact.
[post="265598"][/post]​

Winglet:

And just how do you think General Electric
has made themselves the largest company
in the world? They don't make bets they
can't cover, and right now, they are working
with US/HP to make the combination the next
most powerful entity in the domestic airline biz.
If they really wanted to see US/HP go down,
they would have exercised their rights as
the largest creditors for both carriers long
ago. They haven't. I really believe they
have some forward market thinking going
on and they have a safe bet that US/HP
will be the model of the future with a
hybrid low cost/hub & spoke system.

Something is going on that NONE of us
know about, and it is good as long as
GE gives the green light. Right now,
they are just hashing out the details.

Winglet said:
Maybe SW will just wait for U and HP to carry out their mutual corporate suicide pact.
[post="265598"][/post]​

I agree. But those in the know...the ones who are VFF's...will disagree with you on this. HP/US is a match made in heaven, and instant national LCC, and a Southwest beater. All it takes is money...and a lot of it...to get past the "transitional phase". Unfortunately, neither airline has enough money to make it to that point.

EyeInTheSky said:
Let's cut to the chase, shall we? We all have issues with a company trying to run US Airways out of business. They've been able to push around US Airways for years because our management just blows. That being said, every dog has their day. The leftover employees certainly deserve that much.
[post="265601"][/post]​

Gosh...are you Ed Beauveas (sp)? 'Cause that sounds just like Ed on a 60 minutes episode about "Herb and his airline". In that, moaned that SWA was out to put AWA out of business. I liked Herbs response...he said "No we aren't. If we were, we would have".

luvn737s said:
What percentage of their congressional bribes are they hedged?
[post="265611"][/post]​

PHL is owned by the City of Philadelphia so it's City Council that would need to be bribed. It should be easy.

:unsure:

SpinDoc said:
Winglet:

[post="265612"][/post]​

Bartender! I'll have what he's drinking.

luvn737s said:
What's the airline that goes head to head with WN in almost every WN market yet also has the breadth to serve both Canada, Mexico and Central America AND makes a profit doing it? That's right, HP.

They don't fit the suicide note M.O.
[post="265610"][/post]​

What they're saying

"We're very keen to look at today's troubles and say we're in the trough, but we might be at the upper half of the cycle."

Mark Dunkerley, president and CEO, Hawaiian Airlines

"You can't oversimplify it, but it's simple: Fares have gotta go up or costs have gotta go down."

Jeff Potter, president and CEO, Frontier Airlines

"We have had airlines go out of business before, and we will have airlines go out of business again."

David Neeleman, chairman and CEO, JetBlue Airways

"Someone needs to liquidate and sell off their assets. I think to merge would be a disaster."

Gary Kelly, vice chairman of the board and CEO, Southwest Airlines

"I think you're probably going to see some consolidation in the industry and ultimately see some failures."

Gerard Arpey, chairman and CEO, American Airlines

Let's be realistic here. US isn't buying anything. They are selling. America West will gain majority control and pick US apart and keep only the cream of the crop. I don't see how this is good for the US employees.
Major cuts and cutbacks are on the horizon. :down:

From a mechanics view.

AWA does not do their own heavy maintenance. The question for a couple of thousand remaining mechanics is. Even if US Airways is the remaining flag, if the leadership is AWA's, will they shed the remaining maintenance, or try keeping it.

Also, how many other departments doesn't AWA have that would also be outsourced or eliminated.

I understand that flight crews and line/gate personal will probably be ok. But there will still be carnage if a merger happens.

totobird said:
Let's be realistic here. US isn't buying anything. They are selling. America West will gain majority control and pick US apart and keep only the cream of the crop. I don't see how this is good for the US employees.
Major cuts and cutbacks are on the horizon. :down:
[post="265675"][/post]​

well even that is true ..what would america west choose to keep...
I am betting they will keep the routes to europe and the cairbbean
i am betting they will keep the shuttle..
I am betting they will keep most of the east coast.

Yeh some usairways employee will suffer but I am betting it will be a very small percentage.

The only thing is how it will affect Star Alliance.

Spindoc, one thing you are forgetting is that GE has no other place to park these aircraft but at Goodyear or some other desert oasis for aluminum. You have people making the decisions for these companies going forward that have too much tied up into the companies involved to make a subjective decision. GECAS has too much to lose for them to go down. Just because they are big enough to survive the demise of two airlines doesn't make what they are trying to orchestrate the right thing for everyone involved. Clearly, there is still too many players in the industry. This is going down just like AA/TWA. There will still be plenty of layoffs from whichever group will be acquired. I do not believe this will be an even merger where everyone gets something. Plus, A320 qgreed with you, what's that say........ :down:

P.S. - all of you who do not remember the east coast prior the WN going into BWI, remember this, US always has and always will gouge the travelling public unreasonably as long as no successful low cost competition flies the same route. They were an easy target and I don't feel sorry for them in certain aspects. Southwest made an easy business decision and US could do nothing about it. Don't blame them, blame US management getting fat and happy before WN came to town.

luvn737s said:
If HP can tie up all of US's gates in PHL, Kelly's smug smile will quickly vanish.
[post="265484"][/post]​

You mean like this, :up: , or this, :p , but if I worked for U I'd have this on my mug, :blink: , or perhaps this, :angry: .

All the airbii that GE is taking back from US have been re-leased before they were even off US Property by EuroGermanWings.

And dont be surprised if the 737s end up at cargo carrier, the first passenger to cargo conversion took place last month and was delivered to Kitty Hawk. Done by Bedek Aviation and Pemco.

Air cargo operator Kitty Hawk is to lease seven Boeing 737-300SF special freighters from GE Capital Aviation Services, becoming the US launch customer for a conversion programme offered by the Bedek division of Israel Aircraft ..

Kitty Hawk 737SF cargo from GECAS.

SpinDoc said:
Winglet:

[post="265612"][/post]​

dude GE has over extended to just about all airlines that they have to do everything possible otherwise they stand to loose beaucou bux...thats the only reason...
don't think theres some grand plan to resurrect U to the days of glory........... its a matter of GE saving it ass and its responsibility to its shareholders. ;)