SWA and ALOHA?

skyguy25

Advanced
Nov 30, 2003
With all the new activity in the merger field, how long will it be before SWA makes a bid for Aloha?

SWA needs into the ever growing and popular Hawaiian destinations with their own metal, independent of ATA Airlines.
Aloha already has gates and services in RNO, SMF, SNA, SAN, LAS, and OAK - all SWA strongholds. They operate
8 Boeing 737-700
10 Boeing 737-200
3 Boeing 737-200/ cargo configuration which will aid in the rapid expansion of cargo. And SWA is in dire need of the 737. Makes complete business sense. Aquire A/C and gates in already served WN cities, while expanding market share and routes.

With all the new activity in the merger field, how long will it be before SWA makes a bid for Aloha?

SWA needs into the ever growing and popular Hawaiian destinations with their own metal, independent of ATA Airlines.
Aloha already has gates and services in RNO, SMF, SNA, SAN, LAS, and OAK - all SWA strongholds. They operate
8 Boeing 737-700
10 Boeing 737-200
3 Boeing 737-200/ cargo configuration which will aid in the rapid expansion of cargo. And SWA is in dire need of the 737. Makes complete business sense. Aquire A/C and gates in already served WN cities, while expanding market share and routes.

There aren't any more -200s left in the SWA fleet. Why in world would they want to add 10 more now? I don't think that's likely they'd even consider adding any more -300s though I'm sure they'd love to have the -700s.

There aren't any more -200s left in the SWA fleet. Why in world would they want to add 10 more now? I don't think that's likely they'd even consider adding any more -300s though I'm sure they'd love to have the -700s.

If WN did take over AQ--which I doubt will happen, but in the present 'merger mania', who knows?--those inter-island -200s would be very quickly replaced by a similar number of similarly-sized WN -500s.
AQ, assuming they stay in business and independent, is going to have to figure out a way to replace those old -200s pretty soon anyway. They date from 1978 to 1988, and must by high-cycle aircraft due to the nature of AQ's inter-island ops.

WN has zero -200's left. We retired the last one last year. I don't think we would merge with Aloha since our cost structure (landing fees, etc.) are much lower than Aloha's. I'm sure we would love to aquire their -700's but that's it.

pluses:

737 fleet (subfleets are not THAT big of a deal; come on, it's not an Airbus fleet)

no assigned seating on the interisland flights

more organized boarding: like Southwest, Aloha boards in thirds, but there is only one big long queue; the A/B/C cattle chutes would be much better.

easy expansion into Hawaii, obviously

no overlapping service, so easy DOJ approval

minuses:

cost of merger, but Southwest has bought smaller carriers before

Sounds like a winner to me!

WN has zero -200's left. We retired the last one last year. I don't think we would merge with Aloha since our cost structure (landing fees, etc.) are much lower than Aloha's. I'm sure we would love to aquire their -700's but that's it.

You have to remember that these aircraft spend all their time in a hostile salty enviornment.

Minuses: HI-mainland travel is absurdly low yield. Mesa is destroying inter-island yield. Gordon Bethune comes with Aloha. I like Herb better.

Gordon Bethune comes with Aloha. I like Herb better.
This may work out for DL.

WN could merge with Aloha, of which Bethune is Chairman.

DL has hired Bethune as a consultant and we all know what consultants become. Look at Brenneman (consultant who became CO president)

WN then become the commuter airline for DL providing domestic feed. :shock: