SWA to add 50 new INTL cities

WorldTraveler said:
you don't seem to realize there are contracts in the business world and it is highly doubtful that either AA or DL would codeshare with WestJet or vice versa without some length of time that is required in the contract.

WestJet and WN had coversations at one time but WN didn't have the technology to support Canadian flying so WestJet moved on.

life passes you up if you aren't prepared.

and the US and Canada do not allow outright control of their own airlines by foreign airlines.
Well, thanks for chiming in Captain Obvious.
1) Surely the codeshares Westjet has with AA and DL aren't forever and there are exit provisions and associated fees.
  Moreover, carriers have routinely left/switched global alliances too, so terminating codeshare agreements is not a relatively big deal.  I thought you of all people with all your mental horsepower would grasp that?
Or are you going to suggest that if WS and WN were to announce a codeshare or a JV that DL will sue? I'd love to hear your legal analysis on this matter.
I know this is shocking for you, but in the real world other airlines do not need DLs permission to pursue other codeshares (see KE-AA) or even other business ventures.

2) I believe that now WN has the technology systems in place that would support international codeshares, etc., so that is not a problem it once was.

3)  I don't recall the ownership limits - is it 25%?  And why would it be a problem for WN to own a chunk of WS?  Afterall, doesn't DL have an ownership stake in a foreign carrier (VS) and it certainly doesn't present a problem for DL.  Are you applying the double standards again?  I believe that at one point, and AA people can correct me, that AMR owned up to 49% of CP shares but was limited to 25% voting control - or something like that - or it may have been both equity and control at 25%, but I may be mistaken in my numbers.

and when you can tell us what those dates and fees are, the potential for WestJet to switch to WN is something that can be reasonably discussed.

outside of that reality, it is just a pipe dream that is based on no facts.

No US carrier can own more than 49% of any carrier in any major developed country. WN can't buy a controlling stake in WestJet and it is doubtful that WN would want to do so if it couldn't control and dominate WestJet because that is the only way WN knows how to relate to other carriers. or else it pulls service and has a minimal presence in markets where those carriers are strong.

there is no middle ground with WN.

While you are 100% correct in that WS may not be for sale, your naivete that WS cannot terminate codeshare agreements with DL and AA is appalling.

that's precisely why WN won't go there - plus from Canada, they just chip off a part of a mountain and stick it in your beverage.

Hawaii has fairly decent potable water too but no beverage ready in class coolers.

which is why WN will be starting service to Latin America.

WN gets approval to operate HOU-MEX, thanks ONLY to the Mexican government who created an extra frequency for WN above the limits of the bilateral.

otherwise, WN would likely have to wait until the first of the year (2016) when the new bilateral would likely have approved it.

both of these routes (SJD as well) will target routes that UA serves from IAH as well as compete for MEX passengers from Texas/southern US markets that have been traditionally been carried by AA or UA.

no, it is because the US and Mexico have signed a new treaty that allows additional carriers just 2 1/2 months after WN can start service anyway.

and since it is actually the US government that has more often signed extrabilateral agreements to allow more Mexican carriers to serve the US, it is the US government's interest in free and open markets that is responsible.

and the same principle will apply to domestic service 250 miles north of HOU where WN thinks they can get by with excluding other carriers.

if WN is really as good as you think they are, then they can compete with whoever comes along. the fact that WN's modus operandi is to find and hide in limited access markets says they aren't as good as you think they are.

No, swamt.  You must be hallucinating.  After all, himself has already informed us that Mexico will walk away from that new treaty and all foreign airline growth to Mexico will be stopped unless DL gets its JV with Aeromexico.

Reactions: 1 person
or it is already permitted under the current treaty.

perhaps you can tell us how many US airlines fly DEN-PVR

jimntx said:
No, swamt.  You must be hallucinating.  After all, himself has already informed us that Mexico will walk away from that new treaty and all foreign airline growth to Mexico will be stopped unless DL gets its JV with Aeromexico.
LOL--Good one...