Talks Break Down Between Us Airways And Its Pilots

USA320Pilot said:
Willylowman:

The MEC has called a special meeting to discuss the issue. Then later today the "hardliners" have given required notice that they want to hold a second meeting, early Wednesday morning, to discuss "negotiating strategy". It appears the RC4 are having a change of heart.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="172077"][/post]​

Where do you come up with this stuff? Tea leaves, Eight Ball, whispers from the sky? Sorry, USA320Pilot, in your 3000 plus posts on this forum you have yet to correct about anything. That's a fact that you just don't seem to comprehend. I'll give you the 411 on US Airways, its' full pay to the last day so I hope the old lady has dusted off her business apparel and is ready to re-enter the lion's den.

nycbusdriver said:
Just as I suspected all along. It's the pilots' fault. It's ALWAYS the pilots' fault. And you can be sure that's how it will get played in the press, too. Despite the fact that the pilots have given WAY more in monetary concessions to save this company than any other group, and likely more than all the other groups combined, it's again our fault.

We've been set up as the fall guys, and now the nitwits start the chanting!
[post="172042"][/post]​

Please refer back to Hope's initial post blaming ALPA and then shoot down a few to the clarification. Hope's intent was one of sarcasm directly aimed at a pilot whom shall remain nameless (and now on ignore! yea! :up: ).

TheLarkAscending said:
Please refer back to Hope's initial post blaming ALPA and then shoot down a few to the clarification. Hope's intent was one of sarcasm directly aimed at a pilot whom shall remain nameless (and now on ignore! yea! :up: ).
[post="172096"][/post]​

I missed the second post. I deleted my response to Hope777. Apologies, Hope. But countless others will indeed blame ALPA if USAirways tanks, especially those reptiles most responsible for the mess.

i'd say bring on the judge and just may be he/she will side with the labor on this as usair's inept mgmt cant negogiate even in good faith way to go iam for not talking to mgmt! now alpa is getting a taste that i believe 700uw has been trying to tell you usa320 and the hardline mgmt folks and supporters i belive that we are headed to ch11 so mgmt can try to kill labor and the agreements!

robbedagain said:
i'd say bring on the judge and just may be he/she will side with the labor on this as usair's inept mgmt cant negogiate even in good faith way to go iam for not talking to mgmt! now alpa is getting a taste that i believe 700uw has been trying to tell you usa320 and the hardline mgmt folks and supporters i belive that we are headed to ch11 so mgmt can try to kill labor and the agreements!
[post="172105"][/post]​

I'm trying to figure out how management would have the audacity to stand in front of a judge, and, under oath, declare bankruptcy when they have been saying for over a year that they have identified $700 million/year in non-labor cost savings, yet they won't implement them. The judge should laugh them right out of the courthouse.

Just read this from another board. I think it sums everything up pretty well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where do you draw that line??? It is a challenging problem.

We are all victims of a seniority-based system and what you're asking is for the remaining US Airways pilots to go out and get a job during the tightest job market in the history of the profession.

We've already seen how difficult it has been for furloughees with only 3 or 4 years seniority to find gainful employment (as pilots) in this economy.

Now we're asking pilots who have been faithful employees since the mid-80's -- almost twenty years!!! -- to do the same. Can you imagine how difficult that would be?? I would imagine that it isn't all that different from losing a wife of twenty years.

Unfortunately, as airline pilots, our fortunes are inexorably tied to one airline. Most of us have very few skills that are easily transferable to other professions. And starting over at the bottom of any seniority list is difficult and emotionally gut-wrenching. Essentially you have to admit to yourself that you wasted X-number of years. When that number approaches the teens the amount of time is mind-boggling.

In 2000 there were 6076 pilots at US Airways. Today there are around 3000. There are literally THOUSANDS of pilots in the job market already vying for only a few hundred vacancies. If 3000 more highly qualified US Airways pilots poured into the job market we could all kiss-goodbye the few "career" positions that exist at places like Southwest or FedEx.

What would these 45-60 year old pilots do? Apply for jobs at Skywest or Chicago Express? For most of them USAir has been their entire adult life. Asking them to draw a line in the sand is nonsensical. They won't do it. Why? Because they can't. They've invested too much of their lives into their profession and they simply can not envision a world where they would have to start over. Starting over is, for most of them, not an option they are willing to live with.

So yes, they'll vote for any agreement that comes across the table. And yes, they will publically vilify their management. But at home at night they will say prayers of thanks that they were able to keep the job regardless of what KIND of job it suddenly has become.

This ain't the career we all signed on for folks. Lets hope that somebody is warning the next generation of pilots what their so-called "careers" might ultimately be like.

You're talking your own book. If US Airways pilots tank their company, you benefit from the tightened supply. Well, you benefit for as long as it takes for US Airways assets to be redeployed to startup carriers.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd be happy for US Airways pilots to sacrifice themselves for you. Question is, are you going to pay their expenses after they're out of a job?

ua767fo said:
There comes a point where enough is enough when it comes to paycuts. I'm not going to say what the USAirways pilots should or should not give up. But the question for them is 'when is enough'. There is a point where I, and thousands of others in this industry will say no more. At that point and with 25+ years, I personally will be willing to walk away, as I will not give away my services. There is an old addage, you get what you pay for, and if you want to pay a young kid with minimal experience a minimal wage to fly you, the general public, then so be it. You might not then get what you'd wished you'd payed for.

Continually accepting wage cuts to just have a job defeats self worth, and drags down labor. In the macroscopic sense, preserving a quality wage might be better in the long run, as reemployment in the future would probably be at a higher wage level. Many on this board seem to feel that keeping a company going at all costs is worth it. Well, it isnt. I'm glad its not my decision. The collective wisdom of multi member labor councils will generally always yield a better decision than an individuals. We at UAL had one guy, P.W., negotiate our last concessionary contract. Bad news. I trust the results of a group effort alot more.

Denver, CO
[post="171881"][/post]​