Teamsters and outsourcing

Could be wrong, but from what I understand, Southwest mechanics do not do overhauls on their aircraft !

WN has overhaul at DAL, they have three lines and a fourth one is opening up soon, and they are suppose to be adding heavy mtc to MCO also.

In addition to the three (soon to be four) heavy lines at Dallas, there are about 20 heavy lines outside the company, including the four at Aeroman at SAL.

All airlines outsource a substantial amount of heavy airframe overhaul - AA was merely the last one to the party.

(http://www.planespot...el-Service-(UPS)

UPS contract under the teamsters:

1200 mechanics for 250 or so aircraft

Aircraft Overhaul is outsourced

Teamster Organizers in Tulsa, Be careful what you wish for

FYI: Southwest and AMFA has 4 heavy overhaul lines for their aircraft

Also UPS has a large ratio of Part Time AMT's compared to no one else in the Airlines. Be careful how we compare in certain categories.

I doubt they are 20 lines outside the company.

SWAMT can inform us of what exactly goes on.

When US didnt outsource heavy we had five lines in CLT and I think five in PIT and that was for over 400 airplanes, and 2 lines in TPA for just C-Checks.

From March, 2008 when WN delayed its decision to send four lines of maintenance to Aeroman.

Under its labor contract, Southwest had to win the union's consent to shift work outside the U.S. The union and airline reached a preliminary agreement and were working on a related contract extension when Southwest abandoned the talks, Key said.

Southwest, which operates 22 lines of maintenance on its Boeing Co. 737 jets, wanted to send four lines of structural work to El Salvador.

The deal with Aeroman would have been the first time for Southwest to send airframe maintenance outside the U.S. About 80 percent of the maintenance on its General Electric Co. engines is done in Brazil.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Southwest_drops_El_Salvador_work/20080315_5_e2_ngens16803

If WN was operating 22 lines in 2008, and three of them were at DAL, then 19 were outsourced.

SWAMT can inform us of what exactly goes on.

When US didnt outsource heavy we had five lines in CLT and I think five in PIT and that was for over 400 airplanes, and 2 lines in TPA for just C-Checks.

Actually it is more like 18 now. Use to be 22. As of recent purchase of AT more lines will be added in house at several cities but it will be over some time. AT never did anything above a "B" check, and since the purchase SWA will have to add all maint "in house" that is currently in our contract which includes from all "C" checks and above for all the AT aircraft we inherited. Hope this helps...

Actually it is more like 18 now. Use to be 22. As of recent purchase of AT more lines will be added in house at several cities but it will be over some time. AT never did anything above a "B" check, and since the purchase SWA will have to add all maint "in house" that is currently in our contract which includes from all "C" checks and above for all the AT aircraft we inherited. Hope this helps...

According to Kirk Thornburg of Southwest, in late 2011, WN + FL operated 31 total lines of heavy maintenance, four of which were in-house, leaving 27 outsourced lines:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=southwest+airlines+outsourced+four+lines&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&ved=0CIEBEBYwDg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sae.org%2Fevents%2Fdod%2Fpresentations%2F2011%2FDefense_Maintenance_Symposium.pdf&ei=3-eJUYvuG6HtiwKZzoCgDg&usg=AFQjCNGMmsIP0qlqZnahLofBYc3YfQ1nSg

• 3,250 Employees
• 12 line stations across WN/FL combined airline
– 9 WN, 5 FL (2 common sites)
• 31 lines of heavy airframe maintenance
– 4 lines (10%) performed internally (heavy and C Check)
• Engine overhaul 100% outsourced; approx 125 removals per year
• Component maintenance almost 100% outsourced; nearly 350 vendors across WN/FL

In addition to the three (soon to be four) heavy lines at Dallas, there are about 20 heavy lines outside the company, including the four at Aeroman at SAL.

All airlines outsource a substantial amount of heavy airframe overhaul - AA was merely the last one to the party.
True, and I do not see the current AMT profession divided into several different Unions stopping this trend.

Why make an issue out of something that no Union has a plan or the power to stop?

You may be correct. Sorry I did not clarify. My numbers were from prior to AT purchase. I have no idea what the numbers are as of right now. I also don't know the number of lines AT was outsourcing. However, the number had to be large as they did no maint above "B" checks and over-night maint. The union is still working with the company about bringing those lines in. Just to let you know, the contract nego's are on hold for about a month for now, there are a few hot topics in the works right now that have to take priority until resolved.

Back