TEMPE WAKE UP!

I worked DUB last month and same thing...wouldn't board til we got 5 volunteers. Left 2 hours late..

PHL88,
Sorry you got wacked. If I was the C/O of your flight,we would have closed up on time, I say that in cheak because then we have to deal with PHL and the odd way they manage a/c's.

I agree overbooking is necessary but.....it is NOT necessary to overbook by 20.....that is just insane

...if you need to overbook the max should be 10 period....

...and overbooking for returns from Europe is just more insanity..

This is just another example of Tempes bad management....

If the historical data supports overbooking a flt by 20, then there is a consistant no show factor that supports that. My guess would be that your own people are putting the screws to you. When a cusotmer misconnects, how often do you see/hear of people overbooking flights the next day to move the customer? Happens all the time. I know first hand. So inventory services may set the AU level at 7 over, but your own people are overbooking your flight due to misconnects.

Do yourself a favor - if you are a gate agent - contact your inventory analyst and see if you can come out and sit with them for a while. They can give you a great perspective and show you a lot of historical data and how it all plays into setting the AU levels....and how overbooking and other factors play a roll in creating the problems that you are talking about.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to fly US, especially transatlantic. Sitting there at the airport until people volunteer? What a terrible way to run an airline.

My guess would be that your own people are putting the screws to you. When a cusotmer misconnects, how often do you see/hear of people overbooking flights the next day to move the customer? Happens all the time.

Unless something has changed, this is impossible to do in QIK/Shares unless inventory approves it and changes the segment status. Agents are not able to OB flights in QIK. Up until last months upload even sups couldnt OB flights (even from their own stations). Havent had a sup try it recently, but the last time I had a sup try it, it still didnt work. It was supposed to be available to sups, but only in their own station.

Also, if the station is having problems every day getting vols, the quickest way to stop it is to deal with invols a couple of days. When the $ starts having to be given out and the report shows INVOL then someone in inventory will finally wake up and take notice. They dont care in inventory that the flight took a two hour delay trying to get vols, all they see on the report is that the station got vols. The station is just screwing themselves by doing this. Its gonna suck the couple of days you invol and you're going to have screamers, etc, but its the only way that its going to get someones attention to get corrected.

Great point because yield tables are built on historical data. So if the "history" doesn't show the INVOLS, how can Inventory Planning and Yield Management have any Idea since they have inaccurate information.

GRRRRRRR< Resisting temptation to bash SHARES!!!! PHEW, I made it. :up:
I have a question for you. Are you a US employee? I see you are a revenue pax in some of your posts (I am assuming) just curios.

Sounds like DUB has not been sending in the OVERBOOKING, each flight that is overbooked is required to send OVERBOOKING mask that will advz the yield management that the flight went out overbooked that day, Since DUB has run seasonal in the past and perhaps the historical data is not correct, if indeed management is reading this site they will see a problem with major overbooking and make necessary adjustment. With all this overbooking and the complaints on here using a 757 perhaps it is time to upgrade DUBLIN to a larger aircraft. TADJR as for the SUP sign working for overbooking yes it does I had to use it recently for a flight and worked great but I do not like to overbook a flight with no shows and cutoff times one can usually go out full and not have to be overbooked.

TADJR as for the SUP sign working for overbooking yes it does I had to use it recently for a flight and worked great but I do not like to overbook a flight with no shows and cutoff times one can usually go out full and not have to be overbooked.

Thats good to hear. Our "overbooking" problem comes from full flights and the flight down had a problem or irregularity (imagine that happening?) and the customer being xxns- cancelled no show. Its a pain having to rebook a family of 4 on an oversold flight because the agent working them coming down didnt reissue/canx their old reservation right when we screwed them over coming down.

Yes, she did and the 4 of them had a great time together! He even tried to upgrade them using his passes. Only he and his wife were upgraded but they did get on! Its the silver lining to non revving. You never know where you can end up or who you will meet! Thanks for asking hp fa. Mama

I And Lots Of Us On The East Would Do ANYTHING For East or West Non Rev's!Always Have and Always Will! Thats What It's All About! Glad Your Mom Got Home Safe! :up: :up:

I agree overbooking is necessary but.....it is NOT necessary to overbook by 20.....that is just insane and impossible for agts..they have been overbooking FCO and CDG and just about every flt by 20 for the last month...there is no way you are going to get that many vol or no-shows...this is a thorn in the side of all us transatlantic agts here in PHL...if you need to overbook the max should be 10 period....and if you overbook allthe flts how the he$$ am I going to reroute anybody if I have no seats on any plane??? Its alot easier to offer someone a connex to arrv a couple hours later than it is to offer the next day...and overbooking for returns from Europe is just more insanity..

This is just another example of Tempes bad management....

Anad we wont even go into how impossible it is to process the oversale on this piece of SH$$ computer....an hour after the flt has left the gate I am still struggling to reissue (write a fim) and reconcile the flt....
said analyst must be on vacation......

Unless something has changed, this is impossible to do in QIK/Shares unless inventory approves it and changes the segment status. Agents are not able to OB flights in QIK. Up until last months upload even sups couldnt OB flights (even from their own stations). Havent had a sup try it recently, but the last time I had a sup try it, it still didnt work. It was supposed to be available to sups, but only in their own station.

Also, if the station is having problems every day getting vols, the quickest way to stop it is to deal with invols a couple of days. When the $ starts having to be given out and the report shows INVOL then someone in inventory will finally wake up and take notice. They dont care in inventory that the flight took a two hour delay trying to get vols, all they see on the report is that the station got vols. The station is just screwing themselves by doing this. Its gonna suck the couple of days you invol and you're going to have screamers, etc, but its the only way that its going to get someones attention to get corrected.
I agree with almost everything you post tad....but this i have a beef with...when we were HP and doing paper oversells..the numbers were crazy...the au's that is....then we got automated...worked a bit...then we got this newer DB process....if it is done correctly it works. I watched our AU levels over the years go down to where they should be...almost all the time...many are told to move pax early---and they do not add them to the OS list...this is my pet peeve...I am getting tired of working OS flights because someone cant add someone to the OS list....just add remarks if the SU is telling you to move pax early--no comp---it still shows as an oversold...its a new process to learn but I think it works..SU sine can now OB a flight...but why do that to your fellow co workers? If the reason is because the previous station did not protect the rez---they now show as a now show yet, they are here!!!-then thats a good reason....please spread the word about protecting pax rez!!! Closing gate keypad...not sure what key but it clearly states protect pax res!!! i use it all the time!!! This ensures the return is not cancelled!!!

Although this really doesnt belong on this thread I decided to add this quick note. My mother and niece non reved into dub a few weeks ago and on the return did not make it onto the flight. Knowing the non rev possiblities she was prepared to either purchase tkts or stay some extra days.(No sched to worry about!) While speaking with the agent about how the next days flight looked a US employee overheard their converssation. He identified himself as an employee and introduced his wife and adv they they were taking the bus to snn to make the flight the next day. They invited my mother to join them. My mother, of course, up for ANYTHING, joined them and trvled to snn. This employee, I believe, mech from BOS, originally worked for
Eastern, was very kind to my mother. His request to my Mom was, that I, as a west employee, not think unkindly of my fellow east employees. It was sad and sweet that he would think this. As usual though, its the employees that keep us here. Our customers arent the only ones that flipflop about this company, some of us still stay because of our coworkers, known or unknown. If anyone knows this employee please pm me. I would like to send a personal Thank you. Regards, Mama
mama am coming through PHX on the 19th...yoiu gonna be around? PM me if you are... would love to meet you!! Heading to ANC with the grandson---i HOPE

Not sure from your post if your beef is something I said or some procedure we have.
I wasnt advocating obing flights to protect people, and since cutover we havent been doing that (since we couldnt), but only ob if a rez is canx noshow.
Also, hopefully the new DB/standby, etc procedures will make it easier to correctly close out a flight/report dbs, etc. The old QIK way is terrible, time consuming and downright cumbersome. No wonder the numbers arent getting reported correctly. It should NOT be that difficult to work oversales and close out a flight correctly. Once again, Tempe doesnt have to do it on a daily basis so of course the agents can deal with it and all the ramifications that that entails (from skewed db numbers to canx in error rez, etc).

Absolutley true! I remember when my husband was still with US Airways and my dad passed away. I was in SEA and the flight connected to PHL from PIT. Well something happened in PIT and the previous flight was cancelled. Suddenly I was out of a seat home. I started to cry and the GA asked why I was so upset--I told her my dad had just died and I was trying to get home. I did. That was 1994, but I'm sure a lot of those attitudes still exist.

HRDiva

I And Lots Of Us On The East Would Do ANYTHING For East or West Non Rev's!Always Have and Always Will! Thats What It's All About! Glad Your Mom Got Home Safe! :up: :up:

Just so this doesn't turn into another East Good/West BAD, SHARES sucks thread. Most of Revenue Planning, Inventory and the like are managed by ex CCY folks, two of which were guests at roachFEST '04.

Bob, FYI, "Revenue Planning, Inventory and the like" are not managed by ex CCY folks, you could count all the ex CCY folks left in those departments on 2 hands and still have fingers left over

When the $ starts having to be given out and the report shows INVOL then someone in inventory will finally wake up and take notice. They dont care in inventory that the flight took a two hour delay trying to get vols, all they see on the report is that the station got vols. The station is just screwing themselves by doing this. Its gonna suck the couple of days you invol and you're going to have screamers, etc, but its the only way that its going to get someones attention to get corrected.
The GA in DUB gave our 5 volunteers a good deal. In return for staying in DUB til the next day they got breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A "nice" hotel(she didn't say which one), 400 dollars (I don't think she said Euro)a free ticket to anywhere US flies and guarenteed passage to the States the next day. I had MY hand up !! :up: