The chances of "THIS" coming to fruition ?

Some of you over-emphasize the real "need" for an East Coast hub. The right mix of point to point service to "connect the dots" could achieve much of the gain without all of the pain and cost of running a place like PHL, and could be done organically.

All it should take is some flexibility in crew scheduling & productivity, or increased ability to use RJ's with a premium cabin.

Reactions: 1 person
BA(etc) will bankroll AMR to keep them immune from US/DL !
It is my understanding, based on some managemnent personel that know people in on the talks (a.k.a rumors), BA is one of the creditors that DP has been speaking with, and BA does seems interested mainly due to the new unprecedented access it would have to the US East coast north-south cooridor, the most heavly traveled cooridor in the world. It would put BA/AA and One World in a superior position over DL, UA, Sky Team and Star Alliance for this part of the world.

Some of you over-emphasize the real "need" for an East Coast hub. The right mix of point to point service to "connect the dots" could achieve much of the gain without all of the pain and cost of running a place like PHL, and could be done organically.

All it should take is some flexibility in crew scheduling & productivity, or increased ability to use RJ's with a premium cabin.

You might be right, but I don't think it would be that easy. Plus it was tried in RDU and BNA when AA was stronger and when US survived those, AA had to retreat. If US had folded under the pressure those hubs placed in their backyard then, AA wouldn't be in the mess they are now. But with things the way are today, I'm sure BA/Oneworld would love to partner with a merged US/AA.

Don't under estimate the "large number of frequent flying" business travelers that travel up and down the east coast of US every week. Oneworld would love to bring that group into the fold. Establishing yourself with facilities, enrolling members, competing with an established Delta/ATL and UA/IAD/EWR quickly is a lot for airline now hanging by a thread.

Ultimately I think BA will play a huge roll and I feel sure they would love to have the best of US and AA, as one.

As far as RJ's go .... they are on the way out ..... and not fast enough to suit me.

After BK, the job at AA will be so different in rules and remuneration that I have to wonder of AA being acquired by US Airways would be any worse for employees and passengers.

<_<

After BK, the job at AA will be so different in rules and remuneration that I have to wonder of AA being acquired by US Airways would be any worse for employees and passengers.

<_<
In my mind the biggest stickler would be the seniority issue.

It is my understanding, based on some managemnent personel that know people in on the talks (a.k.a rumors), BA is one of the creditors that DP has been speaking with, and BA does seems interested mainly due to the new unprecedented access it would have to the US East coast north-south cooridor, the most heavly traveled cooridor in the world. It would put BA/AA and One World in a superior position over DL, UA, Sky Team and Star Alliance for this part of the world.
BA the airline (British Airways) is not a creditor of AA. AA doesn't owe BA money.

BA the airplane maker (BA is the stock ticker for Boeing) is a creditor of AA, but BA doesn't care about AA's ability to connect RIC customers with JAX.

Reactions: 2 people
Make NO mistake that this Was an AMR/BK by Design !!!!!!!!

AMR knows very well, that at this stage within the Industry, that they have to do "this thing" to perfection.

AA has a Looooooooong history of "falling in a bucket of Shite", and emerging wearing a NEW SUIT !!!!!

Trust me, Delta and US Airways etc. know this all to well !

Even after the 1113 term sheets are imposed (if that happens), AA's pilots and FAs will still make substantially more money than US pilots and FAs. The mechanics are a different story, of course, thanks to your worthless union (TWU) and its long-term inability to obtain pay raises for you.

Reactions: 1 person
BA doesn't care about AA's ability to connect RIC customers with JAX.

Really? .... They will when R. J. Reynolds tells that RIC-JAX business man he will be traveling to Turkey twice a month for business the rest of the year. And R. J. Reynolds has a deal with Star causing him to avoid Oneworld. And they care when British American Tobacco needs to spend inspectors to Richmond once a week and they choose Star, for the lack convenient Oneworld scheduling on the US east coast?

Really? .... They will when R. J. Reynolds tells that RIC-JAX business man he will be traveling to Turkey twice a month for business the rest of the year. And R. J. Reynolds has a deal with Star causing him to avoid Oneworld. And they care when British American Tobacco needs to spend inspectors to Richmond once a week and they choose Star, for the lack convenient Oneworld scheduling on the US east coast?
You misread the sentence. And you took a portion of it out of context.

Re-read the sentence. Here it is again: "BA the airplane maker (BA is the stock ticker for Boeing) is a creditor of AA, but BA doesn't care about AA's ability to connect RIC customers with JAX."

The BA in that sentence is clearly Boeing the airplane maker, and Boeing couldn't care less about AA's ability to connect people from RIC to JAX. For that matter, BA the airline probably doesn't care if AA can connect RIC to JAX. The RIC to JAX is a recent example from Ted Reed about why AA needs US - so it can connect domestic passengers between southeast cities.

Make NO mistake that this Was an AMR/BK by Design !!!!!!!!

AMR knows very well, that at this stage within the Industry, that they have to do "this thing" to perfection.

AA has a Looooooooong history of "falling in a bucket of Shite", and emerging wearing a NEW SUIT !!!!!

Trust me, Delta and US Airways etc. know this all to well !
Since they voluntarily filed, yes, it was by design. They could have waited longer or filed alot sooner- but they came to the realization nothing more could be gained by waiting... and the change in executives apparently at the request of the BOD signalled they had to do what was necessary to protect AMR's long term ability to reorganize.
AA has been one of the masters of marketing... but the challenge has always been that circumstances SURROUND AA could change to the point their reorg would be in danger. I have never doubted that AA itself would be unable to find the will to reorganize. Labor is still the biggest issue to confront... every airline has dealt w/ huge morale issues during BK/reorg. The question is how quickly AA can move from the "cutting" phase to rebuilding.
Yes, DL and US are very aware of the threat that a rejuvenated AA will be.... and ANY company is going to work to maintain its competitiveness.
The biggest loser in a successful reorg will likely be US because they might lose one more opportunity to grow - and with 3 strong megaplayers again, US will be marginalized further.
But as I've noted, UA is particularly vulnerable.... they will have the highest costs in the industry after AA restructures - and no one knows what it will ultimately cost UA to successfully integrate all of its labor groups since none of that has happened yet. Even if they take the US approach to keeping both groups separate as long as possible to save money, there will be labor problems.
Also, DL is engaged in one of the most aggressive cost reduction programs any airline has undertaken since the earlier 4 BKs of the last decade (DL, NW, UA, US). It is likely that DL will maintain its cost competitiveness relative to the rest of the network carriers - they have long been very good at cost control - but they will also use their relative financial strength and stability to seek out further strategic initiatives to move revenue from other carriers and to gain a competitive advantage - whether it be by internal growth or mergers and acquisitions.
If AA can get through the 1113 process w/o a complete meltdown of its operations, the chances are very high they will be able to reorganize and then the competitive advantage swings back to being AA and UA - which is what has been going on for decades.

Reactions: 2 people
Without you saying as much WT, I think your well aware that AA is NOT worried about the new DL,............................Because AA has already gone through "Mock Drills" regarding to where DL is today.

AND as you yourself has said numerous times, (in so many words) that AA is building a Totally new house on thier ROCK SOLID foundation. (SA, MIA, NY-LHR,NY-LAX, new DCA-LAX authority, and Alliance partners(in my view) second to none. ( British Airways/Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas etc) Air France Never Was and Never will Be a British Airways. and Yes I do have a very healthy respect for Lufthansa !

BA doesn't care about AA's ability to connect RIC customers with JAX.
Probably not, but they are looking at taking that passenger from Star, that can go CWF (Cardiff) to RIC, without having to connect in the midwest.

BA bankrolling AA????...ummm..time to take your rose colored glasses off. BA is in no financial position to "bank roll" AA or any other money losing business. Count your lucky stars "IF" US Airways does in fact acquire AA.

It "appears" that the majority consensus ....is ...that BA(etc) will bankroll AMR to keep them immune from US/DL !

If That IS the case, what's to prevent AMR(BA etc.) from turning-the-tables ON US to acquire THEM(via a USA surrogate) for the ultimate purpose of dismantling them as we know them today, retaining thier best parts (CLT) the BOS/LGA/DCA Shuttle, Thier compatable A/C and an unspecified number of thier fine employees.

For AA, PHL would be the Biggest problem. Imagine a "new" WN/Air Tran with a fleet of A330's/767/757, with european and some caribbean routes to match.

LAS/PHX could be de-hub'd.

Could this become a reality ?

All replys welcomed, ESPECIALLY...eolesen and Boeing Boy. (you too WT)

Latest posts