The Iam’s Last Stand

cavalier

Veteran
Aug 28, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This is just a short topic to the point on my wishes for the IAM.

I hope with all my heart that the IAM leadership stands solidly and absolutely firm in their public statement made yesterday.

With corporate America being run by the likes we have seen come through the CCY halls, failing miserable causing heart aches for all working families then walking away into the sun set awarded with their pockets over flowing simply must be stopped, and stopped now! This goes way beyond right and wrong, we as a society have become so distorted in our perception of right and wrong that wrong now rules causing nothing but negative results for society.

The IAM stance is the right stance and any straight thinking moral uncorrupted individual can see that. If the IAM stance means the death of U, then so be. Like a disease that will kills millions of human victims, bodies are burned to purge and completely eradicate the virus thus eliminating any possibility of further spreading of that deadly disease, so should U be burned to purge this deadly disease of corporate corruption where those responsible for chaos are awarded for causing nothing misery.

To the people screaming we must cave again because it’s our only hope, to that I say then it wasn’t meant to be, and thank God because spreading the deadly virus U produced on the working men and women of this country is very contagious and very deadly to the working class.

God Speed To the IAM and thank God U’s wrongs are finally being held accountable.

Cav:

The IAM has the option of not participating in the new business plan and the company has the option to seek options to eliminate its members by closing all maintenance facilities and seeking to set aside your contract. The IAM could strike and then the company can use outsourced maintenance, those members willing to work at the company, and replacement workers.

Without a new deal, I bleieve it's time for the IAM and its members to move on, because it appears it's going to occur one way or another.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

if usa320 was worried about the word scabs, then why does he/she continue to butt in on the iam's position? it is about time a union stood up to this inept mgmt and taught them a thing or two about what mistakes will not be blamed on--the iam!

USA320Pilot said:
Cav:

The IAM has the option of not participating in the new business plan and the company has the option to seek options to eliminate its members by closing all maintenance facilities and seeking to set aside your contract. The IAM could strike and then company can use outsourced maintenance, those embers willing to work at the company, and replacement workers.

Without a new deal, I bleieve it's time for the IAM and its members to move on, because it appears it's going to occur one way or another.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
You know it's funny captain. I truly hold no ill will toward you in the least, although some may think otherwise in some of my posts. You captain and myself are from different planets and live completely differ life styles. I respect what you do being a pilot myself years ago can appreciate the skills and dedication require to do your job.

We will never see eye to eye, we are too different on every level. I meant what I said with this topic because if the IAM caves the working man's dream of good union representation is washed down the drain being overpowered by corporate America. I hope this time corporate America feels the power of a united force and whatever that causes, oh well it's for the better regardless is how I see it and you will never make me think otherwise.

The company has given the workers, excluding the Pilots, a choice between NO JOB while working at the airline and NO JOB (unemployed). Most workers have 20 years or more. Most workers I know are not willing to bring the Airline Industry wages down any further or get rid of retirees benefits to further line the pockets of Seigel, Cohen and the Wolfgang.

USA320Pilot said:
Cav:

The IAM has the option of not participating in the new business plan and the company has the option to seek options to eliminate its members by closing all maintenance facilities and seeking to set aside your contract. The IAM could strike and then the company can use outsourced maintenance, those members willing to work at the company, and replacement workers.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
I guess you cant comprehend the company wants to eliminate as many mechanic and related as possible and 50% of Fleet Service.

1,000 Utility gone, total farmout
300 stock clerks gone total farmout
2,500 mechanics gone, total heavy mtc, gse, plant and shop farmout.

Amazing why you are so concerned with the IAM it borders on obsession.

Stick to ALPA matters and let the grown men and women of the IAM make their own choices, as you are wasting your time posting your same diatribe.

And also why do you ignore CluebyFour's question?

What would you do if the company wanted to contract all flying to Mesa except the 767 and A330?

That would be the equivalent of what they are offering the IAM members. Maybe you will understand that now?

What I find interesting is that if the IAM has and will not hold talks with the company, then how can anybody know what the company wants for a new contract? To suggest otherwise is simply fear mongering.

The only way to truly know is to enter negotiations, but if the union will not talk, then the company has no option but to seek to set aside their contract and possibly eliminate all in-house maintenance.

The company has publicly said it “is willing to work with the IAM to explore ways to bring future Airbus heavy maintenance work in-house."

See Story

In my opinion, the IAM is leading its members down a "painful" path that could include closing both the Pittsburgh and Charlotte maintenance facilities, seeking to outrsource all maintenance, and using members who want to work at US Airways, new employees, and contractors from companies like Signature Air and Hudson General to conduct line maintenance and aircraft servicing. If this occurs and the IAM gives the airline this option by seeking self help after a bankruptcy court order to impose a contract, then the IAM and its members will have painful issues to deal with. Nonetheless, it's the IAM's choice of whether or not they want to participate in the new business plan, but how can they know what the company wants by not talking?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Guess you cant read, let me repost it once again.

Are you scared of the IAM? Scared you might have to find a new job?

And the IAM knows what the company wants.

US Airways Update
On August 3, 2004 General Vice President Robert Roach, Jr., Administrative Assistant Frank Celona, Airline Coordinator Jim Varsel, Grand Lodge Representative Joe Adinolfi, District 141 President/Directing General Chairman Randy Canale, District 142 President/Directing General Chairman William O’Driscoll, US Airways General Chairmen from Districts 141 & 142 and the District 141 Safety Chairman met in Washington, DC to review the status of US Airways, their demands for concessions from all the carrier’s employees and to review our cost savings ideas for presentation to US Airways.

In September 2002, IAM members approved US Airways’ proposals for concessions valued at $1.4 billion based on David Siegel’s promise that the airline would turn around and become profitable.

Just three months later, they again requested that IAM members provide an additional $354 million in cost savings to preserve the airline. The IAM advised US Airways management that if the membership voted to approve additional concessions, there would be no possibility of the agreements being opened again prior to the amendable date.

US Airways management committed that with those additional concessions there would not be a need to reopen the collective bargaining agreements. Based on the assurances by management, the membership voted to accept the additional concessions.

US Airways employees provided management with the tools they said they needed to fix the airline, and management failed. Now, management should listen to their employees’ ideas on what needs to be done for their carrier to survive.

While US Airways’ labor costs have been significantly reduced, its non-labor costs have skyrocketed. At the same time, its competitors have successfully reduced their non-labor costs.

In early 2004, US Airways’ Public Relations Department sent a message to all employees that the company would not survive without additional concessions. The IAM reminded the company of its commitment not to ask employees for additional concessions. Your Union advised US Airways, based on the direction and authority given to us by our members, “The Concession Stand is Closed.â€

In February, IAM Representatives, along with Flight Attendant and Pilot Representatives, met with US Airways Chairman Dr. David Bronner. At that meeting, the IAM expressed concern that the company was not being operated in an efficient, profitable manner.

Before and since that meeting, the IAM has repeatedly told the company that we are prepared to show them how to significantly reduce costs within the framework of our current collective bargaining agreements. We stand ready to do so.

After our members gave the concession in good faith the company opted to steal from them by subcontracting work that belongs to them under our collective bargaining agreement, forcing court action and arbitration to keep what is rightfully theirs and thereby adding to the cost structure.

Unless US Airways commits to addressing its non-labor problems, no amount of employee sacrifice will help the airline survive. We are still prepared to work with US Airways to correct the operational problems that our members have advised us currently exist.

US Airways is over-managed and over-supervised at costs detrimental to its future. The company can only survive if and when its cost structure is fixed. Management has failed us despite our sacrifices. Therefore, the time has come to listen to our recommendations so the company can achieve the significant cost savings necessary for its survival.

If you have any questions, please contact your General Chairman.

320pilot..
Everyone in the IAM wants the company to make a profit, but they also need to listen to cost saving measures instead of just the "one-sided" cutting of wages. But isn't management also part of the labor costs at U..? Are they willing to reduce wages by 25%..? A starting wage of a Shift Mgr on the ramp is 48K, are they willing to go to 36K to save this company..? I think you know the answer to this one, don't you..?

Are they willing to relocate HQ, to save $$$...? Reduce managers to save $$$..? Are they willing to LISTEN to cost saving ideas...? If I could save money, you damn right I would put those savings into effect ASAP...But have they..?

Talk is cheap, lets see some responsibility from this elite group of people we have carried for so many years.

How is it that non labor costs are still going up...? While at other airlines they have gotten them under control ..? Please explain this to me...

Justaramaper:

I agree with your post. If any union or employee has viable ideas to reduce costs the company must listen to those ideas. Furthermore, management must share in the pain too.

I recognize anger and frustration is running high and nobody, including the "concession stand is closed" crowd wants to see the company fail. The passion that goes into many of our posts on this forum indicates how much people care about our company.

I also recognize the proposed cuts are painful and in fact, maybe intolerable. Life will change one way or another for all of us especially for those who are lower paid. That sucks, but while the ATSB loan guarantee re-capitalized the company it is also a loaded gun pointed right at our head.

I believe that even if a person gets furloughed they will better off agreeing to a new deal and for those who remain in employment, it's better to have a job while you're looking for another job.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

But then again, it may be better to have NO job getting unemployment and education to re-enter the workforce with a new skill. Many state/federal job programs for those in need of a new direction in there life.

Be very hard to take advantage of these programs if you employed full time and having to foot the bill yourself.

USA320Pilot said:
What I find interesting is that if the IAM has and will not hold talks with the company, then how can anybody know what the company wants for a new contract? To suggest otherwise is simply fear mongering.

The only way to truly know is to enter negotiations, but if the union will not talk, then the company has no option but to seek to set aside their contract and possibly eliminate all in-house maintenance.

The company has publicly said it “is willing to work with the IAM to explore ways to bring future Airbus heavy maintenance work in-house."

See Story

In my opinion, the IAM is leading its members down a "painful" path that could include closing both the Pittsburgh and Charlotte maintenance facilities, seeking to outrsource all maintenance, and using members who want to work at US Airways, new employees, and contractors from companies like Signature Air and Hudson General to conduct line maintenance and aircraft servicing. If this occurs and the IAM gives the airline this option by seeking self help after a bankruptcy court order to impose a contract, then the IAM and its members will have painful issues to deal with. Nonetheless, it's the IAM's choice of whether or not they want to participate in the new business plan, but how can they know what the company wants by not talking?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Why enter into negogiations? They are already seeing what the company wants with other labor groups. More than likely they want the same from IAM - if not more.

I concur with the IAM's stance on this. They need to stand firm and continue to believe they are doing the right thing.

I also know from the posts here and the hundreds of employees I work with that CWA members are fed up and getting more angry by the minute. So far, everything the company has proposed is a slap in the face. I just flat out refuse to degrade myself further by accepting anything they are proposing because they have yet to come up with anything that is remotely conceivable.

It's not a matter of how much UAIR wants at this day and time. But rather the blatant violation of our CBA with the farmout of OUR Airbus work.

This fact alone is why the company can pound salt!!! UAIR execs are LIARS and THEIVES!!! Just look at the latest profit sharing plan they have offered.....a sweetened deal??? Now read the fine print.....WILL NOT go into effect if UAIR revisits bankruptcy. How stupid do they think the employees are????

UAIR is headed for BK2 without a doubt. It's just that the $34 Million profit is slowing things down. BTW, UAIR would have posted a $41 Million profit had it not been for several million dollars in severence payments to Siegel and Cohen!!!!! It's all there in the financial disclosures.

This standoff will come to a climax in short order and I hope it is in front of a judge where UAIR must abide by the rules instead of their usual "interpretation" of of the rules. Let the gloves come off. Never in all my years have I seen a more disenchanted workforce than what we have today......one that once was one of the finest in the industry. Good job management!!! Give yourselves some bonuses and then go to hell :angry: