The Majority Of Canadian Helicopter

47B2

When it comes right down to it, there is not much difference between Canada and the US. Operators in both countries face the same issues. The regulations are so similar as to be nearly indistinguishable. The markets, exploration, tourism, EMS and policing, ENG and etcetera are the same. The labour forces in both countries are in a state of unrest.

The US helicopter culture is leading the Canadian. Many U.S. pilots are now unionized and have greater control over their destiny. Canadain pilots are at the mercy of the operators.

If it is easier for the custodians of this site to have the Canadian and American versions merged, then it should be done. If the Canadians want their own site, they should create it. Considering the huge uproar that arose during HEPAC 's stillbirth, it is uncertain that such a thing will happen. Even if they are split, the ultimate owners are still American. It is unlikely that Canadian helicopter pilots can organize themselves to the extent necessary to create their own forum

47B2, With respect and the usual Canadian politeness, I suspect you are American and have very little experience with the Canadian industry.
We are definitely not obsequious. That is defined as being overly compliant with decisions forced upon us. Judging by the strong reactions to the "merging" of the Canadian site into the US site it is obvious we are not taking this matter lightly.
Thankfully, Kevin and Kyle are re-opening the Canadian focused website.

I was not going to return to this US forum because of the differences between our industries, however your post deserves a reply, if only to point out the differences which you clearly don't understand.

We have very few EMS, ENG, Police or military helicopters in Canada, especially when compared to commercially operated helicopters. Conversely these sectors are a huge percentage of the US industry.
Unlike the US, very few of our pilots have come from a military background, and an equally small number are Instrument rated.
The majority of exploration in Canada can only be compared to the wilderness of Alaska. Though there is seismic flying in both countries, alot of it in Canada is in very remote areas and accordingly has logistic difficulties that are not experienced in Montana or Colorado.
Unlike the US, very few instructors in Canada have less than 1000 hours. Graduate pilots are hired with 100 hours to work commercially in Canada.
Forest fire fighting is handled in completely different manners on opposite sides of the border.
The regulations are similar but not the same. One obvious difference is in Airspace Classifications. Though there are differences in the class definitions, the most blatant contrast is the huge proportion of Canadian Airspace that is Class E, or completely 'uncontrolled'.

I was shocked to see you think the US industry culture is leading that of Canada.
The truly sad and tragic record of EMS accidents in the US is not something to be followed.
Our EMS services do NOT have 'marketing' departments, and perform very few night VFR on-scene calls. Our accident record reflects this.
If your EMS crews truly have the right to cancel a mission at any time, why do missions proceed so far into difficult situations before an accident ??
Are these crews "at the mercy" of their 'marketing' departments ?? There is something to be said for a Government paid/not-for profit ambulance culture.
I don't know the answer, these are things that affect the US industry and will be discussed on a US focused site. Hopefully an improvement in the accident record is realised......we feel a loss when we hear of these tragedies regardless of which side of the border we are on.

The majority of Canadian pilots are not "at the mercy of the operators".
In fact, the majority are treated well, and obviously are opposed to unionisation.
If you had really followed the formation of HEPAC you would know that it's lack of support was due to confusion over Directorship and membership fees, not a lack of desire for a professional, non-unionised association.

Our industries are very different, and our forum topics and opinions reflect that difference.
I am FAA and MoT licenced and see these differences in operation and fully understand why the Canadian pilots and engineers want a different area for their forum.

Nicely put Over-Talk. Polite but too the point. You forgot one thing though!

"Keep your stick on the ice"

VX

Very well put Over-Talk,

This isnt a us vrs them issue. These are definantly two very distinct market places. There is a thriving helicopter industry on both sides of the border and to say that the american culture is leading the Canadians is truly a statement of someone who dosent know the facts. There is much to learn from both sides of the border, be it from a high EMS accident rate or from operations in very isolated areas. If we can learn as much as possible from both sides we will have a safer and more efficient industry no matter where we fly.

I too believe that the Canadian market is so different from the American one that to try to lump everything into one forum is not productive. I will however follow the USaviation forums to take what I can from it and add my input from time to time as I would hope any american professional pilot could do on a Canadian Site.

Thanks to Kyle and Kevin for their continued efforts. :up:

<_< Hey Guys....AS I read 47b2's comments, they have more than just a familiar ring to the context. I have a feeling I know who that is..... :down:

Hey don't use them big words around me, college boy!

Obsequious

adj 1: attempting to win favor from influential people by flattery [syn: bootlicking, fawning, sycophantic, toadyish] 2: attentive in an ingratiating or servile manner; "obsequious shop assistants"

Just in case you were wonderin'

Back