The New York Slimes

local 12 proud

Veteran
Mar 5, 2004
The gold standard of journalistic liberalism has authenticated President Bush. For years, President Bush has stated Iraq is “the central front in the War on Terror,†while his opponents – including all the leading Democratic presidential candidates (and all the dark horse candidates, for that matter) – denounced the war they once authorized as a “distraction†and “diversion†from the real enemy: al-Qaeda. That lie has been put to rest.

The Times also notes the terrorists, invigorated by previous triumphs in Beirut, Afghanistan (over the Soviets), and Somalia, plot feverishly to pull off another victory over a superpower in the Arab world. In two paragraphs, the mainstream media have proven:

1. Al-Qaeda is America’s most pressing enemy in Iraq;

2. Al-Qaeda is channeling its energy into defeating the United States in Iraq; and

3. Thanks to the Iraq war, Zawahiri’s footsoldiers are focusing on Baghdad and not New York, Washington, or rural Pennsylvania.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=27454

The man (Bush) and his staff said that it would be "3 4...no more than 6 months".

And they were wrong.

But we cannot measure this Iraq conflict like previous wars.

This war was not initiated, prosecuted nor will end in the fashion of previous wars.

Our grandkids will be fighting this war.

I'm not a Bush apologist nor do I have all the answers.

But I do recognize change.

The man (Bush) and his staff said that it would be "3 4...no more than 6 months".

Well lets take a look at what the Man (Bush) said about the war on terrorism shall we?

And just so I don't get ragged for using FOX or some Conservative leaning website, I'll take his transcript from CNN which seems to be a favorite news worthy site for many Libs on this board.

Straight from the horses mouth... :shock:

Our war on terror begins with al Qaeda, but it does not end there.

It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated.

We have seen their kind before. They're the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions, by abandoning every value except the will to power, they follow in the path of fascism, Nazism and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way to where it ends in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies. Americans are asking, "How will we fight and win this war?"

We will direct every resource at our command -- every means of diplomacy, every tool of intelligence, every instrument of law enforcement, every financial influence, and every necessary weapon of war -- to the destruction and to the defeat of the global terror network.

Now, this war will not be like the war against Iraq a decade ago, with a decisive liberation of territory and a swift conclusion. It will not look like the air war above Kosovo two years ago, where no ground troops were used and not a single American was lost in combat.

Our response involves far more than instant retaliation and isolated strikes. Americans should not expect one battle, but a lengthy campaign unlike any other we have ever seen. It may include dramatic strikes visible on TV and covert operations secret even in success.

We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive them from place to place until there is no refuge or no rest.

And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation in every region now has a decision to make: Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists.

From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime. Our nation has been put on notice, we're not immune from attack. We will take defensive measures against terrorism to protect Americans. Today, dozens of federal departments and agencies, as well as state and local governments, have responsibilities affecting homeland security.

For full text of transcript go here:
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/09/20/gen.bush.transcript/

Now since you shot off your piehole, you show me where this administration said the war would be.. "3,4,no more than 6 months"..

Now since you shot off your piehole, you show me where this administration said the war would be.. "3,4,no more than 6 months"..

http://www.usatoday.com/educate/war28-article.htm

* Feb. 7, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, to U.S. troops in Aviano, Italy: "It is unknowable how long that conflict will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."

* March 16, Vice President Cheney, on NBC's Meet the Press: "I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. . . . I think it will go relatively quickly, . . . (in) weeks rather than months." He predicted that regular Iraqi soldiers would not "put up such a struggle" and that even "significant elements of the Republican Guard . . . are likely to step aside."

Anything else you want to know?

http://www.usatoday.com/educate/war28-article.htm
* Feb. 7, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, to U.S. troops in Aviano, Italy: "It is unknowable how long that conflict will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."

* March 16, Vice President Cheney, on NBC's Meet the Press: "I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. . . . I think it will go relatively quickly, . . . (in) weeks rather than months." He predicted that regular Iraqi soldiers would not "put up such a struggle" and that even "significant elements of the Republican Guard . . . are likely to step aside."

Anything else you want to know?

For years, President Bush has stated Iraq is “the central front in the War on Terror,” while his opponents – including all the leading Democratic presidential candidates (and all the dark horse candidates, for that matter) – denounced the war they once authorized as a “distraction” and “diversion” from the real enemy: al-Qaeda. That lie has been put to rest.

Yea how long did it to take to liberate the Iraqi people from Saddams Regime? :shock:

Were talking about the war on Terrorism are we not?, Is Al-Qaeda part of Saddams regime einstien?

WE'VE killed and captured hundreds of them in Iraq, and we're still killing and capturing them day by day. nice try at trying to spin it though, you libs are masters at that.

...and let's not forget that the war was going to be paid for with Iraqi oil revenues...

I'm not saying that I ever thought the war w/ al Qaeda and other terrorist groups was going to be quick. History shows that this type of conflict is long and tough. The problem I have with this is that we attacked the WRONG place. Iraq didn't attack us on 9/11. We should have focused our efforts on an all-out assault on al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan -- and other al Qaeda strongholds around the world (specifically, parts of Africa and Asia). Now, we are stuck dealing with a civil war in a weakened (nearly failed) state in Iraq and al Qaeda is getting stronger in several countries - including Afghanistan. We're wasting resources while our enemy is re-grouping. This is the sad consequence of making a mistake like invading Iraq.

...and let's not forget that the war was going to be paid for with Iraqi oil revenues...

Are you privy to some information that we've declared to the Iraqi government that this war was/is a freebie from the American taxpayer and that they will have to shoulder no financial burden?

I'm not saying that I ever thought the war w/ al Qaeda and other terrorist groups was going to be quick. History shows that this type of conflict is long and tough.

And GW Bush said that too.

The problem I have with this is that we attacked the WRONG place. Iraq didn't attack us on 9/11.

We're all aware of that fact, but we also know what the intel said about WMD's finding their way into the hands of terrorist, wrong? perhaps we will never know for sure but when this is said and done We will have another ally against the war on terror and a very strategic one at that.

We should have focused our efforts on an all-out assault on al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan

We did and we destroyed ten thousands and dispersed thousands more.

-- and other al Qaeda strongholds around the world (specifically, parts of Africa and Asia).

On this I agree strongly with you, but we have no idea what is being carried out and taking place secretly. ;)

Now, we are stuck dealing with a civil war in a weakened (nearly failed) state in Iraq

I disagree And so do a majority of the people who live there.

al Qaeda is getting stronger in several countries - including Afghanistan. We're wasting resources while our enemy is re-grouping. This is the sad consequence of making a mistake like invading Iraq.

Al-Qaeda ands its network terrorist groups are a world wide organization they will fill the void where ever our forces are not, thats why we must defeat them over there (Iraq) middle east, Asia, Africa or we can do battle here at home, its that simple.

Yes they are regrouping in Afghanistan, and as soon as we bail out of Iraq with out the Iraqi government being able to defend itself what do you suppose will happen? Its a mess that no one has the magic solution, but its fight them there, or fight them here.

Im not up for being just on the defense, we saw how that turned out. We've got to be on the offense and break their will, kill them, or its gonna be us.

Yea how long did it to take to liberate the Iraqi people from Saddams Regime? :shock:

Were talking about the war on Terrorism are we not?, Is Al-Qaeda part of Saddams regime einstien?

WE'VE killed and captured hundreds of them in Iraq, and we're still killing and capturing them day by day. nice try at trying to spin it though, you libs are masters at that.
No, al-queda wasn't part of Saddam's regime. It's in Iraq now, partly because we got rid of Saddam. Whod'a thunk it.

No, al-queda wasn't part of Saddam's regime. It's in Iraq now, partly because we got rid of Saddam. Whod'a thunk it.

Yep, they found their way to Iraq and Im glad you finally admitted as such. Now what?

Redeploy which is a Euphemism for cut-n-run in lib talk.

Where do we go with our troops and fight those peaceful loving fanatics?

You want to bring the troops home and do what?

Wait for the next 9/11?

Tell ya what, I hope the next time they decide to strike it lands on the front door of those they despise the most...Liberals :shock:

Yep, they found their way to Iraq and Im glad you finally admitted as such. Now what?

Redeploy which is a Euphemism for cut-n-run in lib talk.

Where do we go with our troops and fight those peaceful loving fanatics?

You want to bring the troops home and do what?

Wait for the next 9/11?

Tell ya what, I hope the next time they decide to strike it lands on the front door of those they despise the most...Liberals :shock:
How come bush broke off his search for the leader of Al Queda...and the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks...when we pretty much had him cornered, and focus instead on Saddam? I mean, if we left Saddam in power and Bin Laden crossed the border, Saddam most likely would have taken him out, saving us the trouble.

I'm glad you recognize that they will strike again...over here, not over there. And it might hit the liberals. I hope it will make you happy. I don't think any liberals cheered when conservatives died during 9/11...but I guess thats the root difference between conservatives and liberals....conservatives would just as soon see those who disagree with them killed off. Sieg Heil.

How come bush broke off his search for the leader of Al Queda...and the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks...when we pretty much had him cornered, and focus instead on Saddam?

You mean that time we had the little bastard cornered in the almost impassable mountainous terrain in Afganistan,and while our immaculately trained mountain rangers closed in for the kill,they found the little clown and his gang of followers snuck out a 2 mile long escape tunnel under their feet?

Who said he gave up BTW?
OBL hid in Pakistan and you know the rest of the story.

Latest posts