The State of US Airways

$110 to fly CLT-MCO is a real bargain, considering that the *lowest* round-trip fare available in the market right now is $218.00 including taxes and fees. And that's a non-refundable ticket with all the restrictions and penalties which accompany one of those these days. Compare that to WN's *highest* round-trip fare for RDU-MCO: $240.00 including taxes and fees. Totally refundable, changeable, etc. The big disadvantage is they only have one daily flight so you can't really standby for an earlier or later flight.

Not surprisingly, US is happy to match WN's lowest discount fare from RDU to MCO (roughly $150 round-trip) and fly you through CLT on your way there and back. But no one ever said airline pricing was logical beyond trying to wring every last cent out of increasingly unwilling passengers.

The network carriers are all being squeezed at both ends -- revenue and unit cost. Passengers aren't willing to fly because of a weak economy, lingering fears of war, and inconvenience caused both by increased security and airline cutbacks. The network carriers have cut capacity by grounding planes and furloughing workers, but that has increased unit costs since the seniority system protects the jobs of the nost senior, highest-paid employees. The fact that airlines face significant fixed costs regardless of capacity has also increased unit costs. US has been hit especially hard because it has historically relied on the highest unit revenues in the industry to support the highest unit costs in the industry. Problem is, those high unit revenues were made on short-haul flights which have seen the most significant drop-off due to a weak economy and passengers opting to travel by road or rail.

The thing is, though, the airlines have finite liquidity. While cuts made to unprofitable routes may weaken the remaining profitable routes, cash burn must be brought down to a survivable level (or turned into positive cash flow). Revenue, short of a massive overhaul of the company's pricing structure (which, while I agree that this would be beneficial in the long term, is highly risky in the short term given the possible response by competitors), doesn't show any signs of coming back before 2Q03. The only place left to look is at costs.

In my opinion, the employees, who are the company, need to look at US Airways problems two ways: One in the short-term and two in the long-term.

The short-term problem is liquidity in the fourth and first quarters. These are US Airways' worst performing quarters and the company will not obtain the RSA $240 million investment and remaining $500 million dollar loan guarantee until bankruptcy emergence, now targeted for March. Therefore, it is critical we provide a business plan to the court and ATSB that will permit access to these funds due to the incredible revenue fall off.

Therefore, the company must navigate the winter plus think long-term to deal with what appears to be a permanent, secular revenue shift.

I will be the first to say this whole situation sucks, big time. But, it's reality.

I believe the pilot group will led the charge and make changes in both productivity and pensions, as well as some short-term cost reduction initiatives.

We all need to think about any way to cut costs and forward these to management. If you have a great idea, submit to me via this web site under the thread cost control suggestions and I will make sure it gets to management and is evaluated.

AOG-N-IT has a number of great ideas that very good and his approach is valid. Let's stop fighting with each other and pull together as a team and do more of this type of posting.

I have been flying the past three days and the dedication and professionalism of our employees, our first class facilities, and our product is as good as it gets.

I believe we can survive and eventually thrive, but we need to stop fighting with one another, likely make additional sacrifices, get through the short-term liquidity problem, and move forward together. Anything else is not satisfactory.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/29/2002 12:16:37 PM repeet wrote:
How many front line workers would the Management Bonus have paid for? I belive enough of them to make a difference with our customers.[/P][/FONT]
----------------
[/blockquote]

At fully loaded costing $6 million worth of bonuses would pay for maybe 60-120 line workers, hardly enough to make a difference.