Winglets on the 757?

How can 3 be going back to lessors , surely we need all the 757's we have.. Strnge that 75E's will have to do domestic runs in the winter.. bit pointless having etops then???

Up to 200,000 gallons a year, CO was the launch company for the Blended Winglets on the 757.

Just as an added point.

The "winglets", whether blended or not, allow a much better second-segment climb, and, in many cases, allow a much better payload capability for the same airport environmental conditions.

It may actually make those equiped aircraft useable for longer segments and/or increased load carrying capability on the same segments. (I was actually involved in a situation where we operated a jet aircraft w/o winglets, then, added winglets. It not only added payload capability but allowed us to go much further than before. It did slow the useable top end (.84 to .82), however.)

Atlantic's post about three of our 757's becoming ETOPS with winglets during the winter months was the story I heard last week from an east pilot negotiating committee member. He gave that response when I asked how the company planned on serving the new European cities. FWIW.

Atlantic's post about three of our 757's becoming ETOPS with winglets during the winter months was the story I heard last week from an east pilot negotiating committee member. He gave that response when I asked how the company planned on serving the new European cities. FWIW.
Heard the same story from a maintenance manager in CLT!

Apparently the winlets are better than the airbus... Airbus is looking at new winglets for the narrowbody family

John john,
I've heard the same about the 3 757's going back. More to the point, it's the leases that are coming up. I would hope that the company looks long and hard at these 3 A/C. That's alot of lift to loose. Even in the middle of summer, they are full, or within a few seats of being full out of Fla or LAS. And the island loads for this time of the year are good as well. It was built to fly high, fast and heavy. And it does it so well.
That brings me to Sharktooth's post. Balls dead on. The winglets "trick out" the wing. As an example. There has been talk of US keeping one or more citys that we service now with 757's to year round. The problem here is that Boing at first never saw the 757 as an Oceanic A/C. That's what the 767 was for. So the 757 is somewhat lacking on fuel for these missons. In the winter, with stong west winds and a heavy load, the 757 may have to duck into BRG, or BOS, to gas up and be off to PHL. No big deal, except this would put the flight crew (2 pilots) over 8 hrs. End of flight. Need two more pilots. Winglets could make a difference, but so could an IRO.