The Transformation Plan

PineyBob does have opinions that sometimes side with labor, and sometimes with management.

His motives are as a US Airways customer. It is clear from his posts that he wishes no harm, in fact nothing but the best for the employees, or to the company itself. He has nothing to gain financially, if U goes under he will take his considerable amount of business elsewhere. I applaud his interest in a company he deals with often.

In his defense, he is always civil and respectful in his posts. He asks questions, and will be the first to listen to a good point. I think we often assume he knows as much about our wacky industry/company as some of us do. I have often explained things to him, and he'll be the first to admit when he doesn't know how something works.

He also brings insight from "the other side".... businesses and corporations outside the airline industry. He brings alot of refreshing ideas and questions to the table, and I always enjoy his posts. I dont always agree, but I'm glad hes a constant presence in this weird, anonomous internet USAviation world!

I wonder what the actual rankings for most frequent posters in the forum are.

etops1 said:
700 how do you know dave seigel is building a house in st. maartin. do you have absolute proof he is. i want pictures. or is it from word of mouth. and if he is who cares .i am tired of people with there "he is building a house in st. maarten bit." what ever that man does in his persoal life is his business. if i were ceo of a company i would buy a house not only in st'maarten but in other places as well. all i care is that he runs the company back to profitability. he can buy 5 houses in st maarten for all i care. if he can afford a house in st maarten more power to him. if you want a house in st.maarten then you should have doen all the things you need to do to be a ceo of a company made money and build your house. as for now, let it go. life is to short to sweat the small stuff. ;)
Etops1, take the time to READ and COMPREHEND, let me post it again!

And it is David Siegel of Orlando, who is the #1 time share owner and hotel owner who is building a house in St Martin, wow, you can't even get that right.

Let me explain it once again.

I SAID IT WAS DAVE SIEGEL who OWNS HOTELS AND TIME SHARES, he lives in Orlando and has nothing to do with US Airways.

The Dave Siegel who is building in SXM is NOT Dave of US Airways, can't you comprehend that? It has nothing to do with Dave Siegel of US Airways, can you understand that or do I have to draw a picture.

700UW is correct. Many weeks ago Dave "US" Seigel denied he is building a house in SXM, and did say he would give it to any employee who could show he was lying.

Fatherabraham,

If you truly think management set up this website to monitor and influence employees, I think you need a long vacation, spent in a room with some soft walls. It is 99.999% certain that management reads what is here and even some get PM'd by "management types", but to accuse them of incurring the expense and time necessary to do this site (along with all the other airline pages just to keep up the cover), is going way overboard.

On another topic, I understand Dave was in CLT passing out candycanes Christmas Day, anybody see him?

628, by the way that is my favorite 757, and yes after talking to numerous ramp and maintenance workers, Dave and his daughter and an enterage were in CLT X-mas day handing out mini-candy canes. Guess he brought his kid along so no one would curse him out.

TheLarkAscending said:
Who really cares what PineyBob thinks or says? He is not the issue or the focus. Ignore him and continue to unite yourselves with what is important: your futures.
As a customer who buys tickets from US, you would do well to realize that if you agree with Bob or not, he (and many like him) represents what drives your future.

Are you people crazy? I have heard an anecdotal definition of the word crazy: "To do the same things again and again, and expect a different result"

Why would US Airways go back to San Antonio, Austin, Albuquerque, San Jose, Portland (OR) , Orange County, et al, when all of these destinations were dropped for what I can only presume to be extreme losses? Additionally, why would US Airways go back into these markets, when they specifically signed up with UAL and the Star Alliance to service these markets via code-share partners? Good grief, US Airways service to Orange County just ended 4 months ago! I can't imagine that things have changed that dramatically in 4 months!

Additionally, the airplanes that formerly serviced these locations were just discarded through bankruptcy a mere 9 months ago!

If the "Transformation Plan" is to go back to being the US Airways that went bankrupt a little over a year ago, which is what everything I have reiterated suggests, this is a Very Bad Plan (My accronym: VBP)

And you guys want US Airways to enter the bloodbath that Boston-West Coast is becoming with AWA, JetBlue, and AA duking it out with $99 each way fares? This seems illogical to me.

At least the Caribbean/Latin American markets make more sense. US Airways has been slowly, but steadily expanding in this market for the last few years. Presumably, it has been good for UAIR. But unless US Airways intends to open an SJU hub, I'm not sure there is enough Latin American growth opportunities for 60 aircraft.

The feeding UAL hub idea isn't awful, but UAL will only allow a certain amount of that to occur... DEN-CLT for UAL seems like a reasonable Hub-to-Spoke add for UAL, especially given the alliance. However, if US Airways starts to pick off prime business routes from UAL, like ORD-LGA, ORD-DCA, and ORD-BOS, something tells me there will be a change in alliance-land. The concept of the alliance is NOT to canabalize each other... At least, I would have to assume that.

Oh, and you have to put all this in the context of SOMETHING happening at PIT... whether its a downsize (replace mainline with MDA and/or Express) or a hub elimination... Some capacity will be redirected out of PIT... So you guys think that there will be 60 Aircraft growth on top of some redirection from PIT?

If you have been paying attention to Us's past, all the cities you have mentioned were very profitable, US could not grow those markets , so they chose to pull out, not out of character for this airline, as they are "Terrified" of competition. they'd rather give it up then compete. :eek:

Light Years said:
I agree 628, I see no reason why we couldnt do BOS, DCA, LGA, to ORD, and BOS to SFO and LAX. Yes, we would be competing with UA and AA, but we have a larger presense and more feed in those markets (with the exception of BOS, where I believe AA is actually bigger, as is DL). As for all of this point to point people are talking about... are we considering BOS,DCA, LGA point to point? I consider these mini-hubs or focus cities. Point to point would be like what MetroJet used to do, BDL-TPA, ALB-MCO etc.

I'm also curious as to the wholly-owneds and the Express set-up in general. Dave said that there would be some rationalization of the Express carriers, wouldnt this be the time to decide?

The plan at the top of this thread doesnt really contain anything we havent discussed or guessed already. We'll have to see what it really is when its publicly released.
The issue with ORD is definately going to be a supply/demand issue. From most cities, you've already got both AA and UA flying umpteen daily flights there. From DCA for example, I think both AA and UA fly the route every single hour.

Toss in the WN and ATA service to MDW, and you've got route overload.

fatherabraham said:
I believe this site " usaviation " may have been started by a MGT type and if not it is not beyond reason for Mgt to manage our expectations thru a site like this. All I say is stay informed but consider the source.
Actually, the site was started by a rank and file member just like yourself.

Somebody brought up an interesting point about Caribbean Star and Caribbean Sun.

If US were to really commit to SJU and if AA were to cut back on SJU - as they have been rumored to have been considering - then US would ideally need to add mainline flights to SJU from cities other than the hubs. Potential cities might be:

RDU
BOS
BWI
IAD
JAX
TPA
FLL
MCO
IND
JFK

Others?

700 i apologize. i did not read your post correctly. so i apologize for jumping on you like that. its just that on the line people keep talking about that issue of dave having a house in sxm. but they still think its usair dave. so i will enlighten them that its a another dave. i did not know about the fla dave until you posted it. take care happy new year. B)

Latest posts

Back