Transformation Plan Hints

avek00 said:
While I do not doubt that United is likely considering a merger of some type in conjunction with an emergence from bankruptcy, I would not automatically assume that the merger partner would be US Airways. A UA/US merger, while beautiful on paper, would be rife with numerous financial, labor, and regulatory problems that severly compromise the chances for success. IMHO, a merger with DL or even CO makes far more sense for UA...
I'm sorry, I had to get off the floor laughing about this one. UAL will not be happy with anyone merging with them...period.

Also, you forget how small US now is. DAL and UAL would somehow please regulatory concerns? DAL lost 300 million bucks in the third quarter...yeah, great financial shape.

CAL and United? The UAL f/a's can't stand the idea of merging with another AFA affiliated airline. Can you imagine CAL with all the old scabs of the Lorenzo era. Oh, no labor problems there.

If you really want to talk mergers, it is US that should dump UAL and team up with AWA. Hell, for all I care you could keep the America West name. Talk about more logical...not sure if the plane engines are the same, but we have a common fleet and would once again span the US.

DUMP THE UAL MERGER RUMORS!! DUMP THAT NIGHTMARE COMPANY!!

As far as the 'rolling hub" for PHL idea. A probable large saving for the company if this actually happened would be I believe "HUGE" fuel savings. By eliminating the bank concept the departure lines would often be greatly reduced as well as ATC holding patterns for inbound flights would also be greatly reduced, at least in good weather, which happens all the time do to ATC volume.

Rolling the hub is one of the few ideas that seems probable. The biggest limitation as US is capital. Recent losses have drained what little was available. Hence, opening a hub in STL is humorous, adding many flights hard to accomplish except incrementally. A few new flights would have to add sufficient revenue to get approval from investors for more. It will take time to add enough flights to increase productivity and decrease CASM. Dave may suck--but he's stuck between a rock and a hard place: no money and no time. He can hardly do anything--nothing that costs money for certain--and most everything else costs moral or quality of service. My ship is not US but too many of my close friends are on it. Hope something breaks in US favor sooner rather than later.

How many planes do we have that get put to bed early and wake up late? I know this was one of the many past plans, but was curious if some late night Westbound with redeyes back East might work in some markets to use the planes better? In TPA we currently have two planes that terminate at 8pm and the last originator doesnt start flying until 10am, and thats in just 1 city. Surely there would be some markets that could make some money and better use of the planes instead of having them sit that long (and we dont have a hangar here anymore so its not for maintenance like it used to be.) Maybe some BDL/PVD/TPA/MCO- LAX/SFO/LAS flights even a couple of days a week? Or something to SJU at night with an early departure back to the mainland?

USFlyer said:
Yes, AA at DFW, DL at ATL, etc. At a high level, rolling a hub involves scheduling flights evenly throughout the day, reducing and/or eliminating the "banks". Some connections may end up being shorter while some may end up being longer. The point is mainly to increase efficiency. In theory, planes should not be sitting idle, gates need not sit empty and/or idle as long (thus reducing the number of gates needed), APO staff from ticket agents to gate agents to fleet service should be busy throughout the busy instead of working in peaks and valleys, etc.
Has DL done this at ATL? I havn't heard about that one. I know CO does it at EWR and AA also does it at ORD. They actually tested the concept in ORD. You left out another one too. Southwest! They're the ones who started the "Rolling" or "Flowing" Hubs. They've been doing this at all their Hubs from the very begining! Its one of the reasons they're aircraft utilization rate is so high.

There is a problem that I have noticed within the past 2 years. Since we closed many of the outlying line maintenance stations like SDF, BUF, ROC, etc...we have to rely more on the hubs and larger stations to do most of the MTC work. Along with that came the need to overnight more airplanes in stations like PIT, PHL and CLT. Now we run into a problem of lack of feed for some of the first departing banks in CLT and PIT. With more airplanes originating, there is less inbnd flights to feed the first departures. So, on the first bank or two out of CLT you may have a flight that goes to BNA or RDU and is only booked to 30 or 40 people because of the reduced inbound feed and low O&D. It is becoming a big catch 22.

I agree that there will be more opportunites to add additional flying by getting the airplanes back in the air ASAP. Does anyone remember the USAir commercial a long time ago that said something along the lines of by 8am we have 90% of our airplanes in the air or something along those lines.....it was a commercial that showed clips of airplanes taking off and landing at all of these different airports. We need to get back to that. Airplanes don't make money when they are on the ground. (or in storage.....) Find a way to utilize the aircraft for more of the operating day.

I don't see the company doing away with the Pittsburgh Reservations center in Pittsburgh, at all... The company pays very low rent there...Has an option to use one or two buildings...Is well located, and has a large population to draw a qualified and talented workforce at reasonable expenses...Many times Pittsburgh has been called on to carry the total call volume, when Winston Salem has found it has had to shut down with ice storms and other unforseen problems....At this point there is only Pittsburgh and Winston Salem to handle the calls from a downsizing from 9 reservation centers as little as 4 years ago... :up:

firstamendment said:
I'm sorry, I had to get off the floor laughing about this one. UAL will not be happy with anyone merging with them...period.

Also, you forget how small US now is. DAL and UAL would somehow please regulatory concerns? DAL lost 300 million bucks in the third quarter...yeah, great financial shape.

CAL and United? The UAL f/a's can't stand the idea of merging with another AFA affiliated airline. Can you imagine CAL with all the old scabs of the Lorenzo era. Oh, no labor problems there.

If you really want to talk mergers, it is US that should dump UAL and team up with AWA. Hell, for all I care you could keep the America West name. Talk about more logical...not sure if the plane engines are the same, but we have a common fleet and would once again span the US.

1. US and HP would be the easiest way to end up in liquidation - HP's yields with US's costs would be a recipe for disaster.

2. UA management stated months ago that amerger is being explored as part of a bankruptcy emergence strategy.

3. Besides the obvious financial issues, UA/US would still run afoul of regulators because of the near-monopoly status that the combined airline would hold in at least two hubs. (CLT and PIT) Labor would also prove problematic, as US' workforce is senior relative to United's.

Interestingly enough, a CO/UA or DL/UA merger would only create a monopoly situation (75%+) at one current hub AT MOST, but the affected hub (e.g., CVG) would likely be shuttered as part of the merger deal anyways. CO and DL also give UA much more additional coverage than a carrier with a primarily regional network. CO and DL also enjoy a much more favorable labor mix, facilitating a labor integration.

PineyBob said:
avek00 said:
Interestingly enough, a CO/UA or DL/UA merger would only create a monopoly situation (75%+) at one current hub AT MOST, but the affected hub (e.g., CVG) would likely be shuttered as part of the merger deal anyways. CO and DL also give UA much more additional coverage than a carrier with a primarily regional network. CO and DL also enjoy a much more favorable labor mix, facilitating a labor integration.
Avek00,

When was the last time you were on a US flight?

Still banned on FlyerTalk for your drivel regarding DL & CO, and constant baiting of the Save Our Sky Miles Group?

Did you qualify for Silver Status on ANY carrier this year?

Thought you were a big fan of CO?

Why here? Inquiring minds want to know?
Hey there Bob --

I'm not a huge Avek fan, however, he is simply stating an opinion. BTW, he's a kid, still in college -- he's supposed to act goofy.

:D

PineyBob said:
avek00 said:
Avek00,

When was the last time you were on a US flight?

Still banned on FlyerTalk for your drivel regarding DL & CO, and constant baiting of the Save Our Sky Miles Group?

Did you qualify for Silver Status on ANY carrier this year?

Thought you were a big fan of CO?

Why here? Inquiring minds want to know?
1. I last flew US ATL-CLT-DCA-PHL-ATL in order to interview with the company for an internship last May. FWIW, I did get hired, but decided to go with a more lucrative internship with Uncle Sam instead. I did thoroughly enjoy those flights, as well as my US ATL-CLT-SFO, SFO-PHL-ATL F flights as part of my DM NW J award.

2. I am not banned on FlyerTalk, and the cause of my previous suspension has NOTHING to do with DL, CO, or US for that matter. I'd appreciate it if you would at least get the facts straigth if you are going t make an accusation.

3. I just requalified with CO for Silver this past weekend.

4. I am a big fan of CO, although I do have a soft spot in my heart for the PEOPLE of US Airways, as they have always treated me well.

Any more questions you probably know the answer to?

avek00 said:
firstamendment said:

1. US and HP would be the easiest way to end up in liquidation - HP's yields with US's costs would be a recipe for disaster.

2. UA management stated months ago that amerger is being explored as part of a bankruptcy emergence strategy.

3. Besides the obvious financial issues, UA/US would still run afoul of regulators because of the near-monopoly status that the combined airline would hold in at least two hubs. (CLT and PIT) Labor would also prove problematic, as US' workforce is senior relative to United's.

Great!! Have at it...as long as we aren't the merging airline with United. I am so sick of those postings that make a US/UAL merger seemsomehow the best thing. The folks at United have shown their distain for mergers before and that's enough for me to say find another airline partner to hate.

Latest posts